Are we supposed to find this cool?(,spoilers and disturbing imagery)

#211roadtosalvationPosted 1/12/2013 4:21:01 PM
Isn't this somewhat familiar to the whole "mercy killing" thing of the two hookers at the beginning of Duke Nukem Forever? You know, the ones impregnated with alien fetuses?
#212roadtosalvationPosted 1/12/2013 4:23:18 PM
Sorry, not familiar...
#213Project5BossPosted 1/12/2013 5:39:31 PM
I wasn't disturbed at all at Vino popping Lilith in the stomach then the head. The pause was unnecessary though, those shots should have come in as quick succession as possible if anything.

The time stopping set pieces in convenient places sucked.

People bash this game because Tamburger and Alex Jones were acting like rock stars. They had all those boasts and all that arrogance and this is what we got. Don't use the, it's a video game excuse here, don't try to compare it to movies. Tamburger had high expectations and it failed miserably.
#214kanto_wandererPosted 1/12/2013 5:59:47 PM
geekneck99 posted...
Pesmerga255 posted...
Who said the gameplay is bad? GameInformer just named it their game of the month

lol @ using a review magazine as a measure of gameplay quality

Like I already said, it's a better (not to mention more impartial) judge of quality than listening to the irate rantings of a message board forum.

Are you talking about the Game Informer that is owned by GameStop?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n5E7feJHw0

I honestly don't care who owns what. They could be owned by Fox News for all I care, and that wouldn't make any difference as to how I judged their reviews unless I discovered evidence that the people who are paid to express their sole opinions were doing so with ulterior motives. Y'see, you want me to believe that because a certain company signs their checks, I shouldn't (first) listen to what they have to say and (second) decide for myself if I think their opinion is harboring any sort of bias, before I ultimately jump to any brash conclusions as to assume anyone who ever gets paid to write something is a liar.

But usually, the only bias I ever come across in the gaming community is from people who greatly resent the positions of professional critics, most likely the result of having once disagreed with a review at one time or another, and instead of being unable to verbalize the reasons they disagreed with them and just moved on with their life, have since felt it necessary to lament on all professional criticism whenever possible so that anytime anyone tries to use another's opinion to argue completely valid points of why a game might be good, they are immediately shot down instead of rationally debated.
#215RyuuHou25Posted 1/12/2013 6:06:35 PM
You do realize that publishers will cut off review places from any future games, refuse them this or that in the future, admission to various launch parties, blah blah blah, if they don't give so or so game favorable reviews?

So, while it's not straight out bribing, they are encouraged to give certain games, generally ones with big budgets that are expected to sell well, good reviews. ALL companies that do reviews are "encouraged", and since the reviewers bosses typically want to keep their business partners happy, guess what usually tends to happen if the reviewer thinks perhaps the game deserves a crappy score?? >.<
---
PSN ID: RyuuHou24
"I never said that....and even if I said it, I never said it" - Dr Peter Venkman RGB
#216pigboyPosted 1/12/2013 6:11:40 PM
Swarles posted...
Why the hell would Vergil need a silenced assault rifle? The silencer serves no purpose and he can summon a horde of swords and just throw those at the guards if he needs to.

But It looks cool to Tam Tam! XD

It is all it matters!
#217pigboyPosted 1/12/2013 6:14:20 PM
john_freeman69 posted...
VERGIL: We make quite the team.
DANTE: Iím stronger.
VERGIL: Iím smarter.
DANTE: Iím better-looking.
VERGIL: Iíve got a bigger d***.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKzean6v_kY

Did a 16 year old write this game?

........ not to say. Not even a 9 yrs old would write such a thing now a day.
#218kanto_wandererPosted 1/12/2013 8:19:13 PM
RyuuHou25 posted...
You do realize that publishers will cut off review places from any future games, refuse them this or that in the future, admission to various launch parties, blah blah blah, if they don't give so or so game favorable reviews?

So, while it's not straight out bribing, they are encouraged to give certain games, generally ones with big budgets that are expected to sell well, good reviews. ALL companies that do reviews are "encouraged", and since the reviewers bosses typically want to keep their business partners happy, guess what usually tends to happen if the reviewer thinks perhaps the game deserves a crappy score?? >.<

These aren't specific examples of why you know their reviews to be biased. You may be entirely correct in your assertion, but I prefer having evidence before I make a blanketed statement about everyone who works in a single-industry, because I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that there are many good and honest people working for GameInformer, just as I believe there are with every other major review site. I don't think critical extortion is as simple as Capcom or any other publisher withholding invitations to their press events, because from a business perspective, they desire the promotion just as much as the magazines and websites want to cover them. Also, I think if you were going to encourage someone to write a positive review, there are more manageable ways of doing so than idly threatening them not to attend their parties (that seems counterproductive).
#219sillycatstevenPosted 1/12/2013 9:32:29 PM
RyuuHou25 posted...
sillycatsteven posted...
HellFire-Bahamu posted...
Just throwing this out there, but this lady (and baby) tried to kill his brother several hours prior. He doesn't care how she feels, but it shows that Vergil can be ruthless

i'm aware of that, but this doesn't stop me from being disturbed by that scene. i can understand ruthless, but i can not understand the need for unnecessary sadistic and disturbing scenes....

You....need to get out more. Seriously. You need to watch more horror/supernatural based movies or play more games if you really find it that sadistic and disturbing.

I mean, he's murdering the demon/woman/whatever the hell she is. Killing. No more life. And yet you're finding the moral issue in HOW that's been done, as opposed to the actual act of murder itself......in a video game.

Go watch Law Abiding Citizen. Let me know how sadistic and disturbing you find that movie.

the key word in my post is unnecessary.... -_-
also, please go study ethics. how we do things is often as important as the end results in terms of morality and ethics. we can experiment on animals, but we shouldn't force them to endure unnecessary pain and suffering. we can put down animals, but we shouldn't torture them before we put them down.
it's because this is in a video game and it's performed by a "good guy" who is very popular that got me worried. not everyone is smart enough to suspect there's a reason behind Vergil's action or know that it's cruel and sadistic if done in real life, even when there's a reason. some people will just think: "Vergil is so cool, did you see how he shot that F***ing demon baby while it's still in that F***ing b****!? AWESOME!!"
---
PSN: SillyCat659221 Add Me, i'm in NZ
Go now, if you want it / Another world awaits you.
#220SilentS89Posted 1/12/2013 9:43:39 PM
Eh, this just seems like Tameem's "sadism is cool" mentality that they had to cut out of Enslaved.

It is jarring for me because its like : Are they trying to evoke sympathy for the socially relevant embodiments of evil? Or am I supposed to go all "killing fetuses is rad!" brofist.

Its hard to tell how I am supposed to feel towards this so I just feel empty instead.