So, name your top 5 hack and slashes

#31sworderPosted 1/13/2013 6:46:08 PM
Nateo86 posted...
With a little bit of blocking lol but its puzzles are alot more memorable only for the reason I dont usually find them as mind numbingly boring first time through, what do you remember from demon souls when you think of it

So Dragon's Dogma is also a hack and slash?
#32Questioner7311Posted 1/13/2013 6:49:39 PM(edited)
megamatics, gotta give you props for loving Rygar so much!

Guys, you can't label things with a fixed definition. You know how people are confused what "RPGs" really are? The genre is not what the definition says. RPGs are games that are all about stats, in other words MATH. These stats directly influence the gameaplay and such. Many Japanese RPGs stay very traditional (like Pokemon) and stick close to the old turned based formula with math involved.
Demon's/Dark Souls are Action RPGs. They have a sort of close combat gameplay, but the gameplay focus isn't on hacking and slashing or combos. More on stats, levels, equipment and strategy.
---
PSN: FeatherFang
Old memories seldom fade and bad habits die hard
#33BillysanPosted 1/13/2013 6:50:22 PM
DMC3
Bayonetta
DMC4
Ninja Gaiden 2
DMC1

When it comes to Ninja Gaiden I prefer two because the linear level design worked better with the combat pacing.

NGBlack would probably be the 6th on my list.
---
http://billysan291.deviantart.com/
PSN: Billysan291 360 Live: Billy Saltzman
#34Zio_DynePosted 1/13/2013 6:53:35 PM
I thought Hack N' Slash was a term specifically for like Dynasty/Samurai Warriors cut through the hoard of nameless peons type games more than just any old action game, but eh, whatever.

1.) DMC3/4
2.) Onimusha1/2/3
3.) ......
..................Those are really my only true favorites, but stuff like Chaos Legion, Viewtiful Joe, Drakengard, CV: Curse of Darkness/Lament of Innocence, No More Heroes, and God Hand all deserve mention.
Demon's/Dark Souls is obviously an rpg(...in which you do a lot of hacking and/or slashing), but idk where things like Okami or Zelda would fall; they're more adventure than action...kind of a hazy line to draw though. Game genres can be so nondescript.
#35BillysanPosted 1/13/2013 6:55:24 PM
MajesticFerret posted...
I had no idea DMC4 was so popular. I personally thought it was crap. Nero was whiny and lame, they literally reused like half of the game over again, and Dante is basically a largely irrelevant side character with his only real relevance to provide morale support to Nero.

The plot felt straight out of Bleach what with Johnny Yong Bosch screaming the name of a busty soft spoken red head in a white dress as he goes on a fetch quest to rescue her from some wannabe god.

5.3 out of 20 mission have you backtracking of sorts.

Dante is the catalyst for most of the plot points in the game.

And Bleach isn't the only story where a guy goes out to save a girl.
---
http://billysan291.deviantart.com/
PSN: Billysan291 360 Live: Billy Saltzman
#36WingZero0782Posted 1/13/2013 6:55:48 PM
1. Metal Gear Rising Revengeance (played the demo and this will not disappoint).

2. Bayonetta

3. Ninja Blade (underrated imo)

4 NGS/NGS2

5. DMC 3.

Honourable mentions:

DMC, DMC 4, DmC, God of War series, Castlevania: LoS.
---
Currently Playing: who the **** cares.
DCUO Name: Techno Knight, Level: 30, Server: Crossfire, League: TheGothamKnights.
#37FNP88Posted 1/13/2013 6:58:04 PM
produner posted...
FNP88 posted...
Souls games, hack and slash?! Those are two of my favorite games, you guys really would define them as hack and slash?

Well the concept seems kinda vague, you can hack and slash literally in souls games, but they play more like an rpg game were you are more restricted with stamina, dodging, blocking rather than mindless hack and slash.

also stop being a sheep.

I don't mind Souls games being in any top 5 best lists, but I just consider them action RPGs. I just think of HnS as fast pace action games withi swords/knives ext. If I considered them HnS they would be on it, but here's mine

Bayonetta
DMC 1,3,4
Shinobi/Nightshade
Ninja Gaiden: Sigma 1&2
Onimusha 1,2,3,DoD
Genji
Shadow of Rome
#38produnerPosted 1/13/2013 7:00:06 PM
Zio_Dyne posted...
I thought Hack N' Slash was a term specifically for like Dynasty/Samurai Warriors cut through the hoard of nameless peons type games more than just any old action game, but eh, whatever.

1.) DMC3/4
2.) Onimusha1/2/3
3.) ......
..................Those are really my only true favorites, but stuff like Chaos Legion, Viewtiful Joe, Drakengard, CV: Curse of Darkness/Lament of Innocence, No More Heroes, and God Hand all deserve mention.
Demon's/Dark Souls is obviously an rpg(...in which you do a lot of hacking and/or slashing), but idk where things like Okami or Zelda would fall; they're more adventure than action...kind of a hazy line to draw though. Game genres can be so nondescript.

its a new term used to define games with faced paced action and arial combat like DMC.
though it was used for RPGs before, nevertheless i understand how souls games play and how different they are from modern hack and slash games. I was simply running out of games to mention and i remembered that souls games were called HnS games but played differently as they were not simply mindless HnS game.
#39antking61Posted 1/13/2013 7:03:04 PM
Zio_Dyne posted...

The Dynasty/Samurai games ARE Hack n Slash but they don't define Hack n Slash games. It's an un-official Sub-Genre of action game that the fans coin as "Musou" or "Warriors" games.
---
Hoo Haa!!! I has Signature!!!
#40dark_crisis0Posted 1/13/2013 7:15:08 PM
1 - *Spot reserved for MGRising*
2 - Devil May Cry 3
3 - Devil May Cry
4 - PoP Two Thrones
5 - God of War 2
---
PSN - Lagnewb