So, name your top 5 hack and slashes

#61antking61Posted 1/13/2013 9:39:34 PM
XImperialDragon posted...
I thought Hack n' Slash was like Diablo or something? Are beat 'em ups and hack n' slashes the same thing? O_o; Too many genres and too many things changing... >_>;

People call Mass Effect an RPG and say it isn't a shooter. Don't bother, just go with it. I keep track of a few sub-genres but Hack n Slash games are no longer the Gauntlet and Diablo games since only 1 of those is still running. Diablo's also more dungeon crawlerish than anything else, more focused on loot and building up your equipment more-so than most of the games mentioned in this topic.
---
Hoo Haa!!! I has Signature!!!
#62DethaPosted 1/13/2013 9:39:59 PM
DMC3, DMC, Bayonetta, DMC4, NGB
---
i3 2130 @ 3.4 GHz | Taneem Xtreme 8gb @ 1600 MHz | GTX 460 (768mb) @ 855 MHz / 2000 MHz http://steamcommunity.com/id/dxluv
#63SandOnMyBootPosted 1/13/2013 9:41:32 PM
1. DMC3
2. DMC1
3. Bayonetta
4. DMC4
5. Strider (2D HnS's count right?)
#64SlaveBladePosted 1/13/2013 9:49:08 PM
kollie89 posted...
1. Dylan
2. Dylan
3. Dylan
4. Dylan
5. Dylan

because he spits hot fire

God dammit, not when I'm drinking.

Anyway...

Devil May Cry
God of war 1
Shinobi PS2
Dante's Inferno
Warriors Orochi

Everything else really.
---
Interested in a RP about a post apocalyptic future Earth with some Mutant shenanigans? PM me if you wanna join~
#65DarkchocolateXPosted 1/13/2013 9:57:50 PM
Devil may cry 1 'Got nothing to complain about this one' Game was so damn awesome, great enemies and horror atmosphere/soundtrack.

Ninja gaiden black, loved this one to death on Xbox. '2 and 3 sucked so hard that i rented 2, didn't even bother to complete 3''

DMC3: special edition 'Only really liked playing as Vergil, Dante felt as if he had no mass behind his hits and just felt odd to me. Vergil played more like DMC1 Dante and also the enemie design wasn't that good'

GOW1 'Only one in the series i liked'

Bayonetta, Sold it though because it just didn't like the femenine story of the game to replay it again. Was nice to play it once though.

Metal Gear Rising seems awesome to me though.
---
Woman: Does this make me look fat? Al Bundy: It's not the dress that makes you look fat it's the fat that makes you look
#66wwinterj25Posted 1/13/2013 10:00:29 PM(edited)
1. Devil May Cry 1,3,4
2. Prince of Persia SOT, WW, TTT, The latest one.
3. God of War 1,2,3, COO.
4. Bayonetta
5. Castlevania: Lords of shadow

Added bonus I used to love Golden Axe 1,2 and 3 back in the retro days.
---
One who knows nothing can understand nothing - GamerTag: wwinterj/PSN wwinterj
#67warhead333Posted 1/13/2013 10:05:12 PM
DMC
DMC3
Chaos Legion (happy to see this little gem mentioned so much, CLHD anyone?)
GoW
Bayonetta

Haven't played DMC4 or any of the later GoW games so who knows..
#68green_aboboPosted 1/13/2013 10:21:30 PM
1. ninja gaiden 2

2. ninja gaiden black

3. bayonetta

4. dantes inferno

5. tie between: samurai champloo: sidetracked OR way of the samurai 3
#69ShiShiHaatoPosted 1/13/2013 10:25:19 PM
1. Chaos Legion
2. DmC
3. Zone of the Enders: 2nd Runner
4. Lollipop Chainsaw
5. Bayonetta
#70SandOnMyBootPosted 1/13/2013 10:39:28 PM
XImperialDragon posted...
I thought Hack n' Slash was like Diablo or something? Are beat 'em ups and hack n' slashes the same thing? O_o; Too many genres and too many things changing... >_>;

Diablo is often considered a "dungeon crawler". Hack n slash evolved from D&D style games to a term used for certain third-person action games. Beat m ups and Hack n Slashs are very similar, but not always the same. BMUs (or brawlers) typically had numerous identical enemies with simple melee combat and little platforming (something you'd see in an arcade). HnSs had more of a focus on swordplay and using other weapons to fight enemies, and usually had more platforming than a typical BMU. Nowadays, just about all games classified as HnS are based on the style that the first Devil May Cry invented, with a high emphasis on combos and varied weapons, a sub-genre refered to as "Extreme Combat". Other games that followed this trend were the revived Ninja Gaiden series and the God of War series.