So, name your top 5 hack and slashes

#81KA_ME_HA_ME_HAPosted 1/14/2013 12:19:30 AM
Orange00 posted...
i also wanted to emphasize older games because honestly i have not enjoyed this gen. I acknowledge there are some genuinely good games bit i simply haven't had that much fun.

I completely agree there. It seems like gaming has been going downhill recently. It's just my opinion, but older games are soooo much better than newer ones.
---
[INSERT SIGNATURE HERE]
#82EntropyZeroPosted 1/14/2013 12:50:29 AM
DMC 4/3/1
Bayonetta
NG2

Cant name a 5th but X-Men Origins: Wolverine comes in mind.
Best movie based game imo. Its actually pretty fun.
---
Psn: Squigi Live: oOSquigiOo
squigi.deviantart.com
#83Enix BelmontPosted 1/14/2013 1:02:26 AM
DMC3
Bayonetta(could also be first, theyre very close)
DMC4
Ninja Gaiden 2
No more heroes 2
---
http://i38.tinypic.com/15mk29j.jpg
#84steepcirclePosted 1/14/2013 1:08:22 AM
KA_ME_HA_ME_HA posted...
1.Bayonetta
2.DMC3-S.E.
3.DMC1
4.Chaos Legion (the reason I bought it was because of the thing on the case. "If you love DMC, you'll love this!. They were right).
5. Not sure about this one... too many others to choose from. The other 4 were obvious to me, but this one is a tie between like 10 different games.

Aww hell, I had forgotten I'd ever played Chaos Legion. That game was pretty fun.

1: DMC3:SE
2. DMC 1
3. Bayonetta
4. Ninja Gaiden Sigma
5. Maybe Shinobi? Not sure for my last pick
---
Conrad Verner: "My wife was really supportive. She even paid for my shuttle fare off-world."
Matriarch Aethyta: *facepalm*
#85XImperialDragonPosted 1/14/2013 1:37:05 AM
People call Mass Effect an RPG and say it isn't a shooter. Don't bother, just go with it. I keep track of a few sub-genres but Hack n Slash games are no longer the Gauntlet and Diablo games since only 1 of those is still running. Diablo's also more dungeon crawlerish than anything else, more focused on loot and building up your equipment more-so than most of the games mentioned in this topic.

I see. I guess the times, they are a changing and I'm just not keeping up. >_<;

Diablo is often considered a "dungeon crawler". Hack n slash evolved from D&D style games to a term used for certain third-person action games. Beat m ups and Hack n Slashs are very similar, but not always the same. BMUs (or brawlers) typically had numerous identical enemies with simple melee combat and little platforming (something you'd see in an arcade). HnSs had more of a focus on swordplay and using other weapons to fight enemies, and usually had more platforming than a typical BMU. Nowadays, just about all games classified as HnS are based on the style that the first Devil May Cry invented, with a high emphasis on combos and varied weapons, a sub-genre refered to as "Extreme Combat". Other games that followed this trend were the revived Ninja Gaiden series and the God of War series.

Well, to be fair, my confusion stems from when the original Diablo came out and everyone called it a hack and slash. Looking at Wikipedia, I guess the term just moved around or something on me lol.

I always considered DMC, Bayonetta and the like to be beat 'em ups, because if its about swordplay would then Bayonetta be a beat 'em up, but DMC, which plays almost exactly the same, be a hack and slash?

I don't know. I'm not trying to argue it, so don't take it as that, I just didn't keep up with the classifications or something I guess. Oh well.
---
Sony bought Konami and will release a DDR game for the Nintendo 3DS. In this game, you set your 3DS on the floor and stomp on it till it no longer functions.
#86Kayiness06Posted 1/14/2013 1:52:28 AM
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2(Online was a blast if you have great connection. NG2 is great too but will always be in my eyes a rushed product to compete with MGS4)
Ninja Gaiden Black/Sigma
God of War 3
Devil May Cry 3
Onimusha (tie between 3 and Dawn of Dreams)
---
Respect my gangsta!http://romanforum.b1.jcink.com/index.php?
PSN: Kayiness06
#87SandOnMyBootPosted 1/14/2013 1:59:40 AM
XImperialDragon posted...
People call Mass Effect an RPG and say it isn't a shooter. Don't bother, just go with it. I keep track of a few sub-genres but Hack n Slash games are no longer the Gauntlet and Diablo games since only 1 of those is still running. Diablo's also more dungeon crawlerish than anything else, more focused on loot and building up your equipment more-so than most of the games mentioned in this topic.

I see. I guess the times, they are a changing and I'm just not keeping up. >_<;

Diablo is often considered a "dungeon crawler". Hack n slash evolved from D&D style games to a term used for certain third-person action games. Beat m ups and Hack n Slashs are very similar, but not always the same. BMUs (or brawlers) typically had numerous identical enemies with simple melee combat and little platforming (something you'd see in an arcade). HnSs had more of a focus on swordplay and using other weapons to fight enemies, and usually had more platforming than a typical BMU. Nowadays, just about all games classified as HnS are based on the style that the first Devil May Cry invented, with a high emphasis on combos and varied weapons, a sub-genre refered to as "Extreme Combat". Other games that followed this trend were the revived Ninja Gaiden series and the God of War series.

Well, to be fair, my confusion stems from when the original Diablo came out and everyone called it a hack and slash. Looking at Wikipedia, I guess the term just moved around or something on me lol.

I always considered DMC, Bayonetta and the like to be beat 'em ups, because if its about swordplay would then Bayonetta be a beat 'em up, but DMC, which plays almost exactly the same, be a hack and slash?

I don't know. I'm not trying to argue it, so don't take it as that, I just didn't keep up with the classifications or something I guess. Oh well.

I don't know. I always considered hack n slashes to have bigger movesets and stuff and BMUs to be more limited in that regard. Bayonetta is probably classified due to its similarity to DMC. I do believe that DMC technically does fall under both categories, as well as some other games.
#88XclaimPosted 1/14/2013 2:07:48 AM
1. Bayonetta
2. Prototype 2
3. God of War 3
4. Ninja Gaiden
5. Conan
---
Sheldon: "Woman, you are playing with forces beyond your ken."
Penny: "Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie."
#89StrelokPosted 1/14/2013 2:12:04 AM
Out of fairness, just released ones. In no particular order, I'm listing them alphabetically.

1: Bayonetta (The main reason it's below DMC is
2: Devil May Cry
3: Devil May Cry 3: Dantes Awakening: Special Edition
4: Devil May Cry 4
5: God of War 1

Not including hack and slash RPGs like Diablo, purely "pick up controller and start killing".
I don't consider the Batman games H&S games.
---
Goodbye Bubbles, dearest of pets. I'll miss you, always. 2nd June 2004 - 22nd August 2009
http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l493/TTripweed/Haiguyz.jpg
#90cgwhite85Posted 1/14/2013 2:51:16 AM
Bayonetta- probably my favorite combo system and some truly interesting weapons to use with it. Fun character, very tongue in cheek, the game is over the top and doesn't take itself to seriously. Unique/unusual/original boss and enemy design. I am really upset it did not sell better, anxious to see what platinum will do with the second installment. One negative: I don't really love the button mash sequences, dont mind the press x to not die too much (dont love it either), but the repetitive mash during climaxes and the like was kinda meh.

God Hand- what is there to say? Love or hate, its a tough and rewarding game to play. In a sea of games where you mash out a win and shelve the game on completion, this one was a ball buster. I'm not getting into the negatives, I'm sure someone else has or will.

Devil may cry 3- Easily the best dmc. After 2s horrible missteps this game fixed everything and added more goodness on top. Tight controls, good level design, varied weapons and playstyles, awesome bosses, a return to what made the first DMC great, and lots of challenge with plenty of higher difficulty modes to keep the replay value up. I had some framrate problems on the ps2 version.

Ninja gaiden 2- really I liked most of the ninja gaidens about the same. I guess 2 stuck out in my mind for a few weapons and levels I really enjoyed. It also struck me as the hardest ng outside of the nes and super nes ones. Had a few hair pulling moments in this one. I'm not really into ninjas but the game was so well put together I couldn't help but love it. Couple of levels felt boring and empty to me. Some enemies felt sloppily designed. One or 2 bosses were forgettable.

Otogi 2- really improved over the first game, if you liked one I think you will really like two. Enjoyed the variety of the different characters and their weapons. Good controls made zipping around the game more fun than it should have been. Interesting level designs overall. I actually enjoyed the heavy japanese lore influence, which is unusual for me, but it grabbed my attention on this one. The downside? No one has ever played it but me. Aside from the people I have forced to try it, no one ever seems to know what im talking about.

Honorable mention- DMC4 PC EDITION- I really liked the mode where a TON of extra enemies were spawned, it was chaotic and a delight to watch in action. Unfortunately this mode was not available on consoles due to hardware limitations.