Adam Sessler's DMC review.

#171UltDeadpoolPosted 1/14/2013 8:04:14 PM
I can see some of the things he's talking about, others though I just think he's being too hard on the game. Like calling it a kid's wish fulfillment... I'd say that describes the original DMC games. This game goes the extra mile to have story and depth, and cohesion, where the older games were... well, the opposite. You're an invincible too cool for school demon hunter with B-movie one-liners, here are some demons and something to do with your godlike daddy: start game. In this game it takes a more horrifying and "realistic" take on Dante and his world, albeit more contemporary, while trying to remain true to the source material. Almost think of it as the reverse of the RE movies, lol.
---
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
DEADPOOL: Merc with a Mouth
#172alphame4Posted 1/14/2013 8:06:49 PM
Adam Sessler was obviously paid by DMC haters to review this game
---
i5 2500k @ 4.8 Ghz | Asus P8P67 Pro | 4Gb EVGA 670 SLI | 16GB Ripjaws 1600 Mhz
Steam: Spacerik | PSN: Spacemooncow
#173PepeSilvia906Posted 1/14/2013 9:16:09 PM
Dicer7 posted...
_Uwye_ posted...
En Sabah Nur posted...
However, the 1 to 5 scale is stupid

IMO it's much better because it reduces the stupid controversies regarding scores and forces people to actually read/watch the review.

Agreed. 1-10 rating scales are pointless if reviewers don't even use half of the scale for 99% of games and the decimal increments are just completely arbitrary. A simple 1-5 gives a more efficient way of telling someone whether a game is worth buying or renting or passing on and like you said, gives consumers a better incentive to actually READ/WATCH a review than just judging a game on a number.

Got a lot of respect for Adam. I don't agree with him all the time but he's rather intelligent and inquisitive when it comes to games but he also never comes off as pretentious or having some agenda like a lot of reviewers seem to be.

What's best is no number scale. The best review system is Buy, Try, and Skip, or something similar. Even with the 1 to 5 scale, you still get stupid-ass discussions about an arbitrary number. This thread, for example.
---
XBL Gamertag: The Wereodile
#174ArcBalticPosted 1/14/2013 9:35:40 PM
This actually seems like a pretty glowing review from Sessler. 3/5 for him doesn't mean unplayable or bad, it means above average. He doesn't hand out 4/5's and 5/5s like candy either.

Most 6/10s are buggy unplayable nightmares with 7/10 being average and 8/10 being slightly above average from a majority of reviewers. So really it fits in line with it being an 8/10 like we have consistently seen.

The difference is Sessler's scale is a little more balanced over all.
---
Live and PSN Tag- ArcBaltic
Games: UMvC3, SSF4:AE
#175Enix Belmont(Topic Creator)Posted 1/15/2013 1:09:49 AM
I'll be buying the game tomorrow either way, myself(or today, rather.).

But I have a feeling Sessler's flaws will be things I find problems as well.\

Also RE5 is a great game and the plot was basically fine for what it was. Wesker is one of the most iconic video game villians in gaming to me, thanks to DC Douglas's over the top performance. How people here can tout Vergil as an amazing villian and **** on Wesker in RE5 is really beyond me.(speaking as someone who's favorite game ever is DMC3 and a lover of Vergil)
---
http://i38.tinypic.com/15mk29j.jpg
#176lokithefoolPosted 1/15/2013 1:13:04 AM
ArcBaltic posted...
This actually seems like a pretty glowing review from Sessler. 3/5 for him doesn't mean unplayable or bad, it means above average. He doesn't hand out 4/5's and 5/5s like candy either.

Most 6/10s are buggy unplayable nightmares with 7/10 being average and 8/10 being slightly above average from a majority of reviewers. So really it fits in line with it being an 8/10 like we have consistently seen.

The difference is Sessler's scale is a little more balanced over all.

His scale is pretty solid, and 3/5 has never been a must own, or really anything above mediocre.
#177lokithefoolPosted 1/15/2013 2:39:51 AM
lol
#178syctheweilderPosted 1/15/2013 5:02:09 AM
This is just about the only review iIve seen for this game that gives it proper scrutiny: the enemy types that can only be damaged by certain weapons is a pretty glaring issue that isn't given it's proper acknowledgement in other sources.
#179BrocknothPosted 1/15/2013 9:49:14 AM
An honest review from start to finish. Sessler always was a pretty good reviewer. Glad to see he's still working in the industry.
---
"Foolishness Donte, foolishness! No one can have this series. It's mine. It belongs to a true son of Sparda!"
#180lokithefoolPosted 1/15/2013 2:55:11 PM
3/5 nice.