Adam Sessler's DMC review.

#51BillysanPosted 1/14/2013 2:47:03 AM
TheDawnRider posted...
The plot of RE5 was pretty lame. I also didn't like how they ruined Wesker and gave him dumbass motivations and a plan which made no sense at all. The direction the writers took with him just felt wrong but many long time RE fans have already pointed this out, so I'm just stating the obvious now.

The RE plot has always been on the bit of the silly side. The problem is that the Wesker finale was anticlimactic because of how long they built him up.
---
http://billysan291.deviantart.com/
PSN: Billysan291 360 Live: Billy Saltzman
#52Mister_ZurkonPosted 1/14/2013 2:48:29 AM
That doesn't make it any less token or racist. There is no reason for a tribe like that to exist in a modern day horror/action game.

At the very least the cult in 4 matched the dated aesthetics of the village and castle.

In RE5 it's just spear throwing face paint tribe out of nowhere. why not give them guns and armor if they are protecting your secret lab? It's not like they can resist your orders if you plagas them.
---
I prefer Genaro's. But what do I know? I'm a bear. I suck the heads off fish! - Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
#53Mister_ZurkonPosted 1/14/2013 2:51:10 AM
Billysan posted...
TheDawnRider posted...
The plot of RE5 was pretty lame. I also didn't like how they ruined Wesker and gave him dumbass motivations and a plan which made no sense at all. The direction the writers took with him just felt wrong but many long time RE fans have already pointed this out, so I'm just stating the obvious now.

The RE plot has always been on the bit of the silly side. The problem is that the Wesker finale was anticlimactic because of how long they built him up.

How long they built him up?

Punked out by a Tyrant, Punked out by Alexia and Chris, then you fight him like 4 times in 5, what the hell else do you expect them to do? Give him a space station in 6 and toss him into the sun?

It's a horror game, and he never does anything remotely scary, it's better that they dumped him in a volcano. He's an anime action villain that nerds love because he pretty much covers every nerd fantasy at once. He has no right in a horror series, and sucks the tension out of every scene he's in with his camp mincing and kung fu.
---
I prefer Genaro's. But what do I know? I'm a bear. I suck the heads off fish! - Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
#54TheDawnRiderPosted 1/14/2013 2:54:13 AM
Billysan posted...
TheDawnRider posted...

The problem is that the Wesker finale was anticlimactic because of how long they built him up.

That was extremely disappointing, but that's not the only problem. Wesker being an experiment all along was stupid. Wesker's plan which the series was building up to was idiotic and doesn't even make sense when you look at the previous games. (He mentions restoring Umbrella in RE4 to Ada)

Or the fact that he's now an idiot and no longer an intelligent guy working behind the scenes who's always one step ahead from anyone.
#55BillysanPosted 1/14/2013 2:55:17 AM
Mister_Zurkon posted...
That doesn't make it any less token or racist. There is no reason for a tribe like that to exist in a modern day horror/action game.

At the very least the cult in 4 matched the dated aesthetics of the village and castle.

In RE5 it's just spear throwing face paint tribe out of nowhere. why not give them guns and armor if they are protecting your secret lab? It's not like they can resist your orders if you plagas them.

God damn have you not read a single thing I've said.

The reasons are all there. It makes since..unless you totally ignore the plot.

"At the very least the cult in 4 matched the dated aesthetics of the village and castle. "

Okay what!? You first meet them in a tribal village and the tribes own ruins. That's the only places they show up.
---
#56Nay_214Posted 1/14/2013 2:55:54 AM
I don't get people on this board.
Why can't most of you accept that the game is getting positive reviews?
God forbid that people LIKE this game.
I'm a massive devil may cry fan, played all 4, even watched the terrible anime because of my love for the character and after playing the demo I'm massively looking forward to playing this!
Just because some reviewer likes the game it doesn't mean he's paid off. If this was old Dante and a continuation of 4 you wouldn't be saying all this would you?!
#57Mister_ZurkonPosted 1/14/2013 2:56:19 AM
No Seriously, What the hell else could they do with him? Have him mince around for 6 more games wringing his fist at Chris at the end like Dr Claw? He had plenty of build up and tons of screen time in the series.

It's not like he did anything most of the time, just made veiled threats at Chris between getting bodied by BOW's and Girders.

Well, until UC retconned him into the Mary Sue that kills Umbrella.
---
#58BillysanPosted 1/14/2013 2:57:27 AM
TheDawnRider posted...
Billysan posted...
TheDawnRider posted...

The problem is that the Wesker finale was anticlimactic because of how long they built him up.

That was extremely disappointing, but that's not the only problem. Wesker being an experiment all along was stupid. Wesker's plan which the series was building up to was idiotic and doesn't even make sense when you look at the previous games. (He mentions restoring Umbrella in RE4 to Ada)

Or the fact that he's now an idiot and no longer an intelligent guy working behind the scenes who's always one step ahead from anyone.

Yeah but everything inside him changes after meeting Spencer. He was programed or conditioned by Spencer after he lost that he just went psycho.

But I agree it was disappointing and a bit of a cheap way to end Wesker in one game.
---
#59Mister_ZurkonPosted 1/14/2013 2:58:16 AM
Billysan posted...
Mister_Zurkon posted...

God damn have you not read a single thing I've said.

The reasons are all there. It makes since..unless you totally ignore the plot.

"At the very least the cult in 4 matched the dated aesthetics of the village and castle. "

Okay what!? You first meet them in a tribal village and the tribes own ruins. That's the only places they show up.

The reasoning doesn't make it any less racist. It's a OOGA BOOGIE tribe in a modern war game. RE4 is all about a cult, it's totally different, they weren't token spanish stereotypes out of nowhere.
---
#60Emoney244Posted 1/14/2013 2:58:54 AM
Great and indepth review. Finally a review that actually points out the flaws without harping on previous installments. Actual flaws with the game itself.