So is this a worthy DMC game, and a worthy action game? [VETS ONLY]

#61ZeroX07Posted 1/14/2013 12:04:57 PM
Lol. Vets. I guess it does make me a vet if i beat all the NG games in the highest difficulty setting, and have beaten all the dmc games, and so forth.

Anyway. The game mechanics are different. They are not bad. It feels more like a refined heavenly sword gameplay mechanics. You press the shoulder buttons for light and heavy attacks. There is no real depth of combos. Unlike dmc 4 in which you can switch from style to style flawlessly and create amazing combos. To me this game is more linear than NG3 (both the original and the wii u version), a fancy heavenly sword combo system, with a light touch of dmc.

If it was called something else. I would have liked it a lot better. However, different action games have their quirks. For example you cant compare the action of the NG series to that of devil may cry. Since one of them is extremely bloody and more focus on killing the opponent as soon as possible. While the other focuses more on combos, looking cool, and killing your enemies with style. If that were the case then dmc and bayonetta would be similar.

Dmc reboot is a game designed for the younger generation.for those who like dubstep, cursing, who has never seen a girl naked, and so forth.. Unlike myself who is in his mid twenties, who found this game to be very mediocre gameplay wise, and really immature in the story department. Dante is a fun, cocky demon slayer, with a softside for his family, and the people or demons he cares about. He loves strawberry icecream, pizza, and rock music. Jesus. If ninja theory cant write a good story about a character that is not that complicated, then you fail NT!
#62NostalgiaRulesPosted 1/14/2013 12:13:39 PM
Am I allowed to participate in this? I've never played Bayonetta or Ninja Gaiden, but I have played DMC 1, 2, 3 and 4.
---
Newer isn't always better.
And I shall keep Dante's Force Edge polished and sharp till he comes back.
#63finalfantasy94Posted 1/14/2013 12:23:13 PM
I just like how this post excludes people. Man thats just sad.
#64dohdoughPosted 1/14/2013 12:34:58 PM
I always assumed that the "vets" were guys like Kouli, dwarfkicker, JL Lee, justaNewbie, YuriSEAL Prime, and a couple other OG's from the pre-Gamespot days. I don't consider myself one of them even though I was around and still posting on a regular basis on the DMC boards.
#65pingpongchingPosted 1/14/2013 12:40:06 PM
I still own DMC 1, (2 was the first game I EVER sold back to a game store...beat it and never looked back) 3, and 4 as well as Ninja Gaiden Sigma. I beat NG2 and Bayo.

I'm not a heavy hitter in the H&S community whatsoever but I did manage a few top 100 spots on DMC4 for a little while there on DMD and I have beaten at least hard or higher on all the DMC's, NG, NG2, and Bayo.

I'm still curious about DmC (read: I still want to play it). It's been awhile since I have played anything H&S (last one was GoW3). Bayonetta has undoubtedly the best combat system I have seen but I just wasn't a fan of everything else. I almost want to say the game was...overwhelming? But not in a great way? I don't know. I guess maybe the constant in your face over the top-ness was a bit draining.

After rambling a bit there I guess my question is, to the "vets" who have played the game, in your personal opinion was it at least entertaining to play through? Do you think it warrants at least one run through?
---
"Rely on the luck of the rabbit's foot if you must, just remember that it didn't work for the rabbit."
PSN: pingpong_ching
#66Pesmerga255Posted 1/14/2013 12:40:36 PM
dohdough posted...
I always assumed that the "vets" were guys like Kouli, dwarfkicker, JL Lee, justaNewbie, YuriSEAL Prime, and a couple other OG's from the pre-Gamespot days. I don't consider myself one of them even though I was around and still posting on a regular basis on the DMC boards.

The pre-Gamespot days were nice.
---
I JUST KEEP BURNNING LOVE!
#67RazumPosted 1/14/2013 12:44:11 PM
The gameplay is decent. Nothing stellar or ground breaking, not nearly as polished or varied as DMC3/4, Bayo, or NG, but it's entertaining enough to have fun.

The dialog and story is bottom of the barrel. Wouldn't be terribly bad if you can ignore the fact the the story was more or less the main focus and is claimed to be incredible and "shakespearean" according to most of the devs.

Level's look great even if getting through them is a bit bland.

All in all, as a hack n slash I'd say 6/10, worth a rent or purchase after the price drops at best.

As a DMC game (which since it is a DmC game is a fair comparison) I'd give it 3/10, 1 point more then I'd give DMC2.
---
UMvC 3 Team:
Hagger/P.Wright/Spencer
#68pingpongchingPosted 1/14/2013 12:46:16 PM
Razum posted...

As a DMC game (which since it is a DmC game is a fair comparison) I'd give it 3/10, 1 point more then I'd give DMC2.

Haha woah...you sure you would only give it 1 point more than DMC2? That game man...it's best we just continue to try as hard as we can to forget that it ever happened....
---
"Rely on the luck of the rabbit's foot if you must, just remember that it didn't work for the rabbit."
PSN: pingpong_ching
#69dohdoughPosted 1/14/2013 12:50:48 PM
pingpongching posted...
I still own DMC 1, (2 was the first game I EVER sold back to a game store...beat it and never looked back) 3, and 4 as well as Ninja Gaiden Sigma. I beat NG2 and Bayo.

I'm not a heavy hitter in the H&S community whatsoever but I did manage a few top 100 spots on DMC4 for a little while there on DMD and I have beaten at least hard or higher on all the DMC's, NG, NG2, and Bayo.

I'm still curious about DmC (read: I still want to play it). It's been awhile since I have played anything H&S (last one was GoW3). Bayonetta has undoubtedly the best combat system I have seen but I just wasn't a fan of everything else. I almost want to say the game was...overwhelming? But not in a great way? I don't know. I guess maybe the constant in your face over the top-ness was a bit draining.

After rambling a bit there I guess my question is, to the "vets" who have played the game, in your personal opinion was it at least entertaining to play through? Do you think it warrants at least one run through?

I feel the same way, but I have it on pre-order just because of Vergil's Downfall. I've cracked a more than few top 100 spots on DMC4 too and I think I broke a couple of top 50's.

One thing that I absolutely dislike is the lack of a lock-on and the inputs feel jerky too me...kinda like the difference between Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter, with DmC being the former. Will I adjust? Of course, but it really limits what you can do when you don't have chains spinning around like Kratos and Nariko. Elemental enemies are annoying too. Sure, most people will kill a Fetish from DMC1 with Ifrit and GL rolling, but I want to be able to kill them with FE if I want and that is what "express yourself" means. Guess that's two things...heh.

That said, I'll still be picking the game up tomorrow.
#70RazumPosted 1/14/2013 12:51:25 PM
I'm talking strictly as a DMC game. Neither game captures the essences of what made DMC1/3/4 what they were or as good as they were. DMC2 is slightly worse then DmC in the regard. If I rated DMC2 as an action game in general it would still get a 2/10 compared to DmC's 6/10.
---
UMvC 3 Team:
Hagger/P.Wright/Spencer