This game ruined the series?

#21XDecimoXPosted 1/16/2013 5:35:11 AM
I really didn't want to say gameplay was innovative for DMC3 and then say that for DMC4 again, so I just went with how challenging it was. Was a rather shallow description in hindsight. Regardless, yeah. Nice to add you to the list of people who I disagree with and respect at the same time. Few on this board can actually voice their opinion without turning into a hothead.
---
PSN - NeroTheDB
#22JirynPosted 1/16/2013 5:36:13 AM
XDecimoX posted...
Darksta posted...
This game did none of that.

It's gotten great reviews, and is enjoyed by many. But when ever anyone says its good, a few people here come around and say it sucks and is horrible.

You can hate the game for your own reasons (and never play the game, just the demo), but they are just your reasons and aren't shared by all.

I'm sorry, but I'm just as skeptic of the critic reviews as I am of the 10/10 and 0/10 user reviews. Anyone acting reasonably seems to agree that this is an average game at best, as do I. And for the record, I specifically said those were my reasons, and was telling TC that him thinking this game didn't ruin the series was just his opinion as well.

There are many a good game that I dislike because they aren't my playstyle...
I can't play them, I don't get enjoyment from them.. doesn't make them bad.. just not for me.
The entire Deux Ex series fits into the category for me.
I keep trying the series, I never pass the first mission because of just how I play.. and get frustrated, then move on to something else.
Yet people say it's awesome.. I just don't see/feel it.. I keep wondering what's wrong with me. However I realized it's just not my cup of tea.
Same thing can be said for ALL the DMC haters.
---
The patience it takes to play FFXI and EQ is the patience it takes to kill yourself by bashing your head into a wall.
#23DaGr1nCh(Topic Creator)Posted 1/16/2013 5:41:42 AM
XDecimoX posted...
I really didn't want to say gameplay was innovative for DMC3 and then say that for DMC4 again, so I just went with how challenging it was. Was a rather shallow description in hindsight. Regardless, yeah. Nice to add you to the list of people who I disagree with and respect at the same time. Few on this board can actually voice their opinion without turning into a hothead.

Yeah it's very difficult to navigate through the maze of hyperbole on this board to find a decent dialog where people can disagree and not turn into 5 year olds.
---
"It's only after you've lost everything that you are truly free to do anything." - Tyler Durden
#24Mc-arthurPosted 1/16/2013 5:49:05 AM
A good read which nicely reflected my own feelings on the series.

That being said, I'm not a supporter of the reboot. I think it was unnecessary, and I don't particularily endorse neither the narrative nor the ludic reinterpretations.

After DMC4 we had been shown that Capcom could make different characters who played vastly differently, but were all enjoyable. I was looking forward to the next game hoping that we would get to play as Dante, Nero, vergil, Trish, Lady, and yes even Lucia, in a game where they all had their own seperate, but interlinked story mode. Hell, with the inclusion of "the Order of the Blade" they even had a pretense for a potentiel multiplayer mode(not saying it would be good, but it could)

With DmC all of that was thrown out the window and replaced with something I just don't 'feel'. I'm genuinly happy for those who have come and found a game they enjoy. However i would like to point out, that you getting something cost not just me, but also(according to this board) alot of other people a game series they enjoyed
---
PSN = Mc-Arthur
#25NeoTStylePosted 1/16/2013 5:49:41 AM
tl;dr DmC is still terrible.
#26ian_sanzoPosted 1/16/2013 5:57:09 AM
TC, i share your feelings on the new game.

I downloaded the demo for DmC to somehow give it a shot, but the game shunned me away from this.

I loved the previous DMC title. DmC is the devil may cry game that I would never touch. DmC made me feel that I was playing God of War which just copied the original DMC concept.
---
PSN ID: iansanzo
Friend Code ID - Kirito 5072 2653 2063
#27Minatokun13Posted 1/16/2013 6:00:58 AM
XDecimoX posted...
Darksta posted...
This game did none of that.

It's gotten great reviews, and is enjoyed by many. But when ever anyone says its good, a few people here come around and say it sucks and is horrible.

You can hate the game for your own reasons (and never play the game, just the demo), but they are just your reasons and aren't shared by all.

I'm sorry, but I'm just as skeptic of the critic reviews as I am of the 10/10 and 0/10 user reviews. Anyone acting reasonably seems to agree that this is an average game at best, as do I. And for the record, I specifically said those were my reasons, and was telling TC that him thinking this game didn't ruin the series was just his opinion as well.

Not really. Anyone acting "reasonably" would agree this is an above average game, period.

It's one thing if someone thinks this is a bad "Devil May Cry" game, but it is not a bad game overall. If you don't like this game, that's fine, that's your opinion. But it doesn't make this game bad, it just wasn't what you were looking for.

Also, this game didn't ruin the series because it didn't. The end. Like literally, they haven't said whether or not they ever planned to make a DMC 5, so we can't say it was ruined. And the fact that Capcom decided that it needed to be rebooted (although I haven't seen official sources use "reboot" in a while and instead usually say "Alternate continuity" now) suggests that Capcom thought the series was ALREADY ruined.

Either way, there's no reason that DMC and DmC can't exist as separate franchises, and there hasn't been any announcement that the DMC franchise is officially over.
#28JirynPosted 1/16/2013 6:02:26 AM
ian_sanzo posted...
TC, i share your feelings on the new game.

I downloaded the demo for DmC to somehow give it a shot, but the game shunned me away from this.

I loved the previous DMC title. DmC is the devil may cry game that I would never touch. DmC made me feel that I was playing God of War which just copied the original DMC concept.

God of War, Ninja Gaiden, Heavenly Sword.. all are on the DMC template.
---
The patience it takes to play FFXI and EQ is the patience it takes to kill yourself by bashing your head into a wall.
#29Ether101Posted 1/16/2013 6:09:06 AM
DaGr1nCh posted...
If your still reading at this point, thank you. I know that was incredibly long winded and there will be the prerequisite tl:dr that's fine, I get it but I said all of that to say this. I've been a fan of this series since day one like many of us have been. The series hasn't been all rainbows and butterflies. With this reboot they decided to give a different spin which is what a reboot is for those that seem to not know that. No the combat isn't the same as DMC 3. Alright fine because this isn't DMC 3. It's a reboot. Is it a necessary reboot? Well that's up for debate. When you sit and actually think about it, what game are you comparing it to? You cannot be comparing it to the entire series. Because there has only been one truly amazing game. and that's DMC 3. So this entire argument should really be DMC 3 vs DmC. Which while I do like this game, DMC 3 wins.

Really, a reboot is supposed to crap on the ideas of the series? So I guess Michael Bay did right by Transformers then, I better go tell the Transformers Prime developers that they suck and start trolling the fandom. This also means we were all wrong for not liking those video game based movies for all these years because some ****ing random Joe came up with a completely new qualifications for what counts as a reboot to justify the fact that they like an imperfect game that doesn't live up to its goals.
---
Gamers have lost their pride.
Complacency can be a sin.
#30DaGr1nCh(Topic Creator)Posted 1/16/2013 6:12:34 AM
Ether101 posted...
DaGr1nCh posted...
If your still reading at this point, thank you. I know that was incredibly long winded and there will be the prerequisite tl:dr that's fine, I get it but I said all of that to say this. I've been a fan of this series since day one like many of us have been. The series hasn't been all rainbows and butterflies. With this reboot they decided to give a different spin which is what a reboot is for those that seem to not know that. No the combat isn't the same as DMC 3. Alright fine because this isn't DMC 3. It's a reboot. Is it a necessary reboot? Well that's up for debate. When you sit and actually think about it, what game are you comparing it to? You cannot be comparing it to the entire series. Because there has only been one truly amazing game. and that's DMC 3. So this entire argument should really be DMC 3 vs DmC. Which while I do like this game, DMC 3 wins.

Really, a reboot is supposed to crap on the ideas of the series? So I guess Michael Bay did right by Transformers then, I better go tell the Transformers Prime developers that they suck and start trolling the fandom. This also means we were all wrong for not liking those video game based movies for all these years because some ****ing random Joe came up with a completely new qualifications for what counts as a reboot to justify the fact that they like an imperfect game that doesn't live up to its goals.

What?
---
"It's only after you've lost everything that you are truly free to do anything." - Tyler Durden