This game ruined the series?

#41FAT____MANPosted 1/16/2013 9:28:21 AM
DaGr1nCh posted...

It's a game NOBODY wanted. NOBODY was looking at DMC and thinking, "Man we gotta reboot this".

It's absolutely disgusting, it was an unnecessary act, and it was out sourced to an awful company. This game has been insulting to almost any outlet of the industry. The fans suck, the company sucks, the publishers suck, the media sucks, the entire game is just a train wreck. It makes me ashamed to love video games as much as i do when **** like this can happen so easily, it really has shaken my view on the industry as a whole.
#42RayconPosted 1/16/2013 9:28:30 AM
julio77777 posted...
DMC 2 didn't ruin the series why should it ?

Maybe DmC 2 will be an awesome game (hopefully not made by a crappy studio...).
But seriously the game isn't as awful as crazed fans would want it to be, but it certainly isn't as awesome as it could have been.

If DmC 2 is just going to continue this plot/gameplay, I'm done with this series. There is nothing about this game that appeals to me.

I miss my flashy stylish combos and fun-witted protagonist. = (
---
"Clue in, girl! Get in that trap room and grab that battery while I, a bad-ass convict, play this beautiful piano melody."-MorphineChild on REŘ
#43FAT____MANPosted 1/16/2013 9:34:12 AM
DaGr1nCh posted...
XDecimoX posted...
I read the entire thing, and what's your point? You can say there was only one truly amazing game, but that's entirely subjective. For others, DMC1 reinvented the action genre, DMC3 made games difficult and had the best story of any DMC, and DMC4 had the best combat of any DMC(And imo, of any action game). So for others, yes, it was an amazing SERIES of games, and this one casualized not only the difficulty, but the combat as well, scaling down the number of moves each weapon had, while substituting the weapon switch in for the styles of DMC4. The story as well is very polarizing, and it doesn't need saying that DMC3's was better, if it a little on the subtle side. Not to mention the terrible PR from the developer and publisher. Ultimately, this game was not only a bad game in a series of great games, it scarred the community forever.

So yeah, there's my reasons for disliking this game.

You're right, it's all subjective I thought i made it clear that DMC 1 was amazing because it basically redefined what an action game could be. It's basically the grandfather of the modern day action game. It was the first of its kind. I find it hard to give DMC 2 any props because it didn't do anything right. Going back to your point about DMC 3. Actually that didn't make the modern era action game difficult, that distinction rests squarely on the shoulders of Ninja Gaiden on Xbox which came out before DMC 3. 4's combat was amazing I'll give you that but it didn't give you the proper platform to use it and it was only a 4th of the game until bloody palace.

As ludicrous as the story and dialog is in this game. It's still more coherent then the entirety of the DMC series. Is it corny, absolutely but when has the dialog ever been good in a Devil May Cry game. I guess in the end we'll just have to agree to disagree because DmC is not a bad game in a series of great games. Hell it's not a bad game at all. It's a good game against one of if not the greatest action titles ever created. Next to Ninja Gaiden and Ninja Gaiden Black and I guess I'll throw Bayonetta in there as well.

The story is not "Better", easy to understand? Sure, whatever. but not better. It's more coherent, yes, because they take 4 minutes to have Virgil EXPLAIN every bit of the situation to you. where as DMC3 you must learn and piece together parts of the story as you go, you must try and understand it for yourself because they're not gonna force feed you the story.
#44ChargrilledPosted 1/16/2013 9:39:32 AM
Not as far as im concerned. I love the new look and style

Great to see developers changing and moving on instead of pandering to people stuck in the past.
---
GT : DeadJericho / PSN/Wii-U : Focalpoint /
Correct terminology is 'Could NOT care less'. Learn English!
#45DTrunks12Posted 1/16/2013 11:09:10 AM
Weird enough I was thinking about this today and I completely agree with you TC. The biggest difference is that I was about .. 13? When I first played DMC1 but you're right, people forget that it was the first game of its kind back then. NG, Bayonetta, Ninety Nine Nights, GOW, whatever else all kind of branched from this action genre that I think DMC pioneered.

DMC3 was my favorite as well, and I probably consider it my favorite Single player action game bar none. It's probably the most fun I had playing a game as well. I actually thought the story and cutscenes were well done.

My biggest gripe with DMC4 was that it felt like I was playing a 2 part Anime adaptation or something, except I had no acquaintance with the Anime that was being pushed on me. Didn't feel like a DMC game at all. Nero wasn't explained, Nothing was really explained. Might as well have been a side story.

I didn't see it coming, but I think the series could've done with a reboot. It's been over a decade since the first game; most people who starting getting into the series at DMC3 really had no idea how it progressed to that point it seemed. Dante the character wasn't ever really that important until DMC3. He was just the avatar which you experienced the awesome gameplay through.

He was made to be cheesy and stereotypical to fit the theme of the series. That ... apparently changed as people started taking it more seriously, and by DMC4 I think it was honestly a cluster****. The gameplay saved that game.

This is the opposite case now though. The story seems excellent (I watched all the vids online). But the boss battles seemed pretty bad. Could've been the person playing, so I'll reserve judgement until I actually play through it myself. But it'll take time for NT to refine it to the point that Capcom had it. Story wise, it works as Dante becomes more experienced.
---
Brawl Friend Code: 0130 - 1456 - 9774
#46Blackmarvel79Posted 1/16/2013 11:13:35 AM
I dont who care who doesnt like it or is dumb enough to think the game ruined the series because THEY didnt like it. The game is quite enjoyable.
---
Currently playing The Mass Effect Trilogy.
#47DTrunks12Posted 1/16/2013 11:24:15 AM(edited)
I completely disagree with you Fatman, btw.

Story is subjective, but asking to explain or tell a story is not being "force fed" a story imo. They failed to explain things clearly. If they expect people to know or understand something then ... they should provide a proper medium to explain everything. It doesn't have to be blatant or whatever but, what am I supposed to infer from DMC4? All you can really get from that game, after completing all of it, is that Nero somehow got bonded with what we assume is Vergil's arm. He's using it to stop bad guys.

It's nothing more than we got when we first saw screenshots of the game 5 years ago. There's not a hint at how he got the arm, why it chose him, it's purpose, how vergil lost his arm in the first place .. I mean wtf. It's understandable Dante would be there, because his brother's somehow been reincarnated and in true Dante fashion he didn't care, just let things unfold as they should. But that bothered me the entire game. And after I beat it, I was seriously wondering if it was a branch from that DMC Anime in Japan or something and I just missed a huge part of the story.

DMC1 did it right imo. It introduced this character, had vague connections (Nelo Angelo, the amulets, etc.) that gave you enough to mull over until it was explained later. DMC4 raised more questions, and answered nothing. I think that series was going the way of Sonic the Hedgehog tbh. Great first couple of games, then grasping at straws later on. Apparently Capcom felt the same.
---
Brawl Friend Code: 0130 - 1456 - 9774
#48FAT____MANPosted 1/16/2013 3:35:42 PM(edited)
DTrunks12 posted...

Story is subjective, but asking to explain or tell a story is not being "force fed" a story imo. They failed to explain things clearly. If they expect people to know or understand something then ... they should provide a proper medium to explain everything. It doesn't have to be blatant or whatever but, what am I supposed to infer from DMC4? All you can really get from that game, after completing all of it, is that Nero somehow got bonded with what we assume is Vergil's arm. He's using it to stop bad guys.

It's nothing more than we got when we first saw screenshots of the game 5 years ago. There's not a hint at how he got the arm, why it chose him, it's purpose, how vergil lost his arm in the first place .. I mean wtf. It's understandable Dante would be there, because his brother's somehow been reincarnated and in true Dante fashion he didn't care, just let things unfold as they should. But that bothered me the entire game. And after I beat it, I was seriously wondering if it was a branch from that DMC Anime in Japan or something and I just missed a huge part of the story.

DMC1 did it right imo. It introduced this character, had vague connections (Nelo Angelo, the amulets, etc.) that gave you enough to mull over until it was explained later. DMC4 raised more questions, and answered nothing. I think that series was going the way of Sonic the Hedgehog tbh. Great first couple of games, then grasping at straws later on. Apparently Capcom felt the same.

Are you.... Are you ****ing kidding me? How do you take notice to the events and subtle points of interest of dmc1 and completely disregard it for dmc4?

I'm opening my dmc4 on steam right now for reference points.... but what i know right now is, How the **** could you possibly infer that Nero has Vergil's arm? It's more apparent that he's Vergil's son.

Dante makes several points of saying "The sword's gotta stay in the family" and often tests Nero's strength. In fact most of his "dumb" decisions are in light of seeing what Nero himself could do. He even allows Nero to keep Yamato, supporting the family idea, and it's said a million times that Nero's got the bloodline of sparda in him. He's obviously not Dante's son, so it must be the only other bloodline of sparda there is. His arm just looks like a part of his body that's permanently devil triggered, it even resembles Vergil's trigger form.

This Dante is extremely laid back by the way, he just doesn't seem to give a ****. And who can blame him? He's beaten THE undisputed strongest demon there is, i don't think much at all could phase this man anymore.

Please actually TRY to find story instead of insulting it.

Edit: Also DMC4 built itself up with Nero as a character, probably for sequels that we'll never see now, we can only imagine what those games could have been made into, but alas those possibilities have dwindled to nothingness.
#49XDecimoXPosted 1/16/2013 3:36:52 PM
FAT____MAN posted...
DTrunks12 posted...

Are you.... Are you ****ing kidding me? How do you take notice to the events and subtle points of interest of dmc1 and completely disregard it for dmc4?

I'm opening my dmc4 on steam right now for reference points.... but what i know right now is, How the **** could you possibly infer that Nero has Vergil's arm? It's more apparent that he's Vergil's son.

Dante makes several points of saying "The sword's gotta stay in the family" and often tests Nero's strength. In fact most of his "dumb" decisions are in light of seeing what Nero himself could do. He even allows Nero to keep Yamato, supporting the family idea, and it's said a million times that Nero's got the bloodline of sparda in him. He's obviously not Dante's son, so it must be the only other bloodline of sparda there is. His arm just looks like a part of his body that's permanently devil triggered, it even resembles Vergil's trigger form.

This Dante is extremely laid back by the way, he just doesn't seem to give a ****. And who can blame him? He's beaten THE undisputed strongest demon there is, i don't much at all could phase this man anymore.

Please actually TRY to find story instead of insulting it.

I've said this multiple times today, and I'm surprised by how often this has been brought up. Vergil would've been about 8 or 9 by the time Nero was conceived. DMC4 takes place 10 years or so after DMC3, and Nero is about the same age Dante was in DMC3.
---
PSN - NeroTheDB
#50FAT____MANPosted 1/16/2013 4:12:21 PM
DTrunks12 posted...
I've said this multiple times today, and I'm surprised by how often this has been brought up. Vergil would've been about 8 or 9 by the time Nero was conceived. DMC4 takes place 10 years or so after DMC3, and Nero is about the same age Dante was in DMC3.

Yeah that is true. Inconsistencies plague this character Nero, but we gotta piece together what we can.