Continuity and Plot Holes Discussion (!!!Spoilers!!!)

#1megamaticsPosted 1/19/2013 8:18:13 PM
The soul purpose of a good story/plot is how it runs along the sanctifies of it's elements. From the beginning to the end of the game there are many questions that can be raised about the characters motives or even Mundus's motives to be more to the point. I would like to bullet each issue I have with this game's plot that are either not explained but important pieces of the game.

1.Why does the Arbiter Resemble and axe but have the moveset of a Mallet ?

2.Why does Mundus want to control the earth ? do humans offer some sustenance to him ? Does it benefit him in anyway to partake in such an endeavor ?...He's obviously keeping them dumb for some reason or possibly is he just bored ?

3.Why does Mundus harbor such malice towards Sparda's actions in falling in love with an angel...Have the "Nephilim" some destiny to fulfill in destroying him ? is it that the "Nephilim" are a significant greater threat to him if left alive ?...I raise these questions because it seems that "Nephilim" only garner the powers from both angels and demons but that would make angels as equal a threat to him since it is the only factor different about "Nephilim" explained in the plot.

4.Just what the hell did Vergil use to leave after losing to Dante in the end ?...Didn't the hell gate break and the worlds fuse ? does he have some other power to still enter limbo even though the plot has it fused with the real world ?.. Could they be drawing on the fact that in DMC4 Dante tells Nero that the "Yamatoe" was used to open a path to the Demon world ?

5.Why did Mundus imprison Sparda rather then killing him ?

6.If Demons inhabit the world almost entirely...why did it take them this long to locate Dante or better yet how could they have not known about Vergil ?

7.What is Vergil's motive in ruling the Humans..He thinks they'll cause chaos but it was obviously Mundus's actions that had the world in such disorder in the first place...

8. why is Mundus able to manifest himself in the real world if other demons can not ?...does he use some sort of magic to make it possible ? could he be part Human ?...
---
GamerTag: RaymondMic/OptimusMega PSN: Optimus Mega
SteamProfile: Megamatics
#2Niyel7Posted 1/19/2013 8:20:19 PM
I play hack and slash games for the story.
#3Hunter1534Posted 1/19/2013 8:20:48 PM
Why does this game exist?
---
http://i.imgur.com/YQkTN.jpeg http://www.imgur.com/uXb7o.jpeg
http://www.imgur.com/jSMZ1.jpeg
#4SparNar607Posted 1/19/2013 8:22:30 PM
Niyel7 posted...

Sarcasm is noted however, a serious attempt at storytelling is one of the reasons anti-DmC people don't like this.
---
"On and On the road does go, down into the depths below"
"Off you went to call the King, you wish to hear the Devil sing."
#5Niyel7Posted 1/19/2013 8:25:43 PM
SparNar607 posted...
Niyel7 posted...

Sarcasm is noted however, a serious attempt at storytelling is one of the reasons anti-DmC people don't like this.

No, I actually do. I don't like Final Fantasy because of the turn-based menu combat. Even though the stories are usually much simpler in hack and slash games, I still get entertainment from them.
#6SparNar607Posted 1/19/2013 8:27:44 PM
Niyel7 posted...
SparNar607 posted...
Niyel7 posted...

No, I actually do. I don't like Final Fantasy because of the turn-based menu combat. Even though the stories are usually much simpler in hack and slash games, I still get entertainment from them.

My Appologies. I assumed.
---
"On and On the road does go, down into the depths below"
"Off you went to call the King, you wish to hear the Devil sing."
#7DJ_0000Posted 1/19/2013 8:31:20 PM
1. Who cares?
2. He likes power I assume
3. Because they are a threat to him, it seems they are essentially the most powerful beings around in which case they could take his seat of power from him.
4. I don't know, some variation of his trick up perhaps? Realistically it was probably just done because it looked cooler than him walking away.
5. He thought torture was more satisfying, he's a bit sadistic
6. Sparda hid them, that was the point. But it does seem they know about him they just couldn't find him, also the story would suck if the main character were dead before it even started.
7. He doesn't think they can rule themselves properly, it seems humanity does need protection from Limbo's inhabitants, also he has a lust for power and a bit of a sadistic streak.
8. He's the demon king, I assume he has power that standard mooks don't.
#8Lioyd_the_heroPosted 1/19/2013 8:40:43 PM
1) It is an axe, and yes thats how one would realisticly weild an axe that size.

2) He gets power (and immortality) from souls, and since he rules over the stronger demons its easier to harvest the not-powerful human souls slowly. Vergil explains that all of his rulings over mankind are like a farm for him, and his prey (humans) need to be kept docile hence virility and the news/bank debts

3) well one Sparda was his blood brother, a trusted ally above all others so the betrayal must have felt realisticly harsh. And the nephilim have both sets if powers and as such are stronger so they would be the best to stop him and he fears being stopped

4) he must have used some kind of demon/angel power, similar to how he warps around during the mundus fight scenes. Since the human world and limbo colided its assumed that both him and Dante can use their full powers in the human realm. or maybe it was a power of Yamato, like how rebellion cna change its form.

5) he imprisioned him so he could torture him for (presumably) eternity. Since mundus is dead maybe he can be freed. But this comes back to number 3, he trusted Sparda and his betrayal must have hurt Mundus so he wanted to punish sparda forever rather than kill him

6) well from the first scene where dante met Kat it is said that Dante has been in Limbo. (thus seen by demons before) He just gets dragged in more in this game because he is fighting against Mundus and thus they are looking for him even harder. I assume he has been seen before, moves (hence the trailer) and goes back to his life. As for Vergil being a secret? Idk maybe he got out of the attack that killed Eva early and thus Mundus didn't know there were two sons.

7) Somewhere in his life he must have found hims nephil status to be something above others (since he and Dante are more powerful than most demons) and he must have thought that he would be a nice ruler. It can be seen in his reluctance to save Kat he felt that Humans are weak (they do get ruled by demons pretty easy) and something must have said in his brain "they need a ruler and I can be that!"

8) Vergil says he has a human link (lilith and Bob do too) I assume this is so that he can directly influnce and control the human world. But as Vergil said it does make him vulnerable since the bodies are connected. But Mundus being so powerful and having the hell gate (until vergil broke it) he most likely had no fear of his human body/shell of being harmed.
---
PSN howling_red
#9SilentS89Posted 1/19/2013 8:44:25 PM
I am nearly certain TC put more thought into this than Tameem did when he wrote it.

But for giggles I'll give it a shot

1. No idea.

2. According to Shatterstar Mundus is damning human souls to add them to his army that he will use to conquer Heaven.

3.Nephilim are the only things that can kill Mundus, so creating them should be like the number one crime a demon can do, because no other crime threatens Mundus' life.

4. I sincerly doubt that was a reference to the dimensional properties of the classic Yamato.

5. I guess Mundus is a softy at heart.

6. Apparently the demons are too busy partying to bother. Mundus is smart enough to blackmail the President of the United States of America but he isn't smart enough to eliminate the only creatures in existence that can threaten his life.

7. Vorgil probably just wants the (forced) adoration of the human masses like any self-absorbed megalomanic.

8. According to Shatterstar, Mundus manifests in the real world by possessing human bodies.

INB4 "Old games didn't have a good story"

Tameem said the story is important, deal with it.
#10KefkaTheKlownPosted 1/19/2013 8:44:48 PM
1.Why does the Arbiter Resemble and axe but have the moveset of a Mallet ?

Is that a joke? It's a battle axe, its all about big hefty swings to spit people's heads open.

2.Why does Mundus want to control the earth ? do humans offer some sustenance to him ? Does it benefit him in anyway to partake in such an endeavor ?...He's obviously keeping them dumb for some reason or possibly is he just bored ?

Demons torment humans and drive them to sin in a defiance of God's creation, in settings where both factions are depicted as less than caring for human beings in general, they may regard such control as a means of measuring their relative strength in their war with each other.

3.Why does Mundus harbor such malice towards Sparda's actions in falling in love with an angel...Have the "Nephilim" some destiny to fulfill in destroying him ? is it that the "Nephilim" are a significant greater threat to him if left alive ?...I raise these questions because it seems that "Nephilim" only garner the powers from both angels and demons but that would make angels as equal a threat to him since it is the only factor different about "Nephilim" explained in the plot.

In addition to having the powers of both and being able to wield the weapons of both, they can enter the domains of both freely. That would suggest the demons and angels wage their wars in the human world but cannot take the fight directly where their enemy lives.

It seems that all factions despise the Nephilim as a rule, in light of the former, they could be afraid of them.

4.Just what the hell did Vergil use to leave after losing to Dante in the end ?...Didn't the hell gate break and the worlds fuse ? does he have some other power to still enter limbo even though the plot has it fused with the real world ?.. Could they be drawing on the fact that in DMC4 Dante tells Nero that the "Yamatoe" was used to open a path to the Demon world ?

Maybe he went to the angel world? If limbo is just a plain that Mundus controls, a little taste of the demon world layed over the human world then he could have slipped out into the demon world proper.

Or maybe he's just DD-ing off to Russia or something.

5.Why did Mundus imprison Sparda rather then killing him ?

Fate worse than death.

6.If Demons inhabit the world almost entirely...why did it take them this long to locate Dante or better yet how could they have not known about Vergil ?

Seems it takes a certain class of demon to track them down. Vergil was taking measures to keep trackers off of him. Mundus only thought there was one son of Sparta, and we know Dante was acting up fairly early on, that's probably where Mundus' attention was focussed.

7.What is Vergil's motive in ruling the Humans..He thinks they'll cause chaos but it was obviously Mundus's actions that had the world in such disorder in the first place...

Mundus says so himself, before he came along, humans were still killing each other, waging wars, letting each other starve...

But Vergil clearly only wants to rule for his own sake.

8. why is Mundus able to manifest himself in the real world if other demons can not ?...does he use some sort of magic to make it possible ? could he be part Human ?...

Limbo seems to be something the demons are intentionally using to keep themselves hidden from the humans, even if the lackeys couldn't act outside it, Mundus is the freaking demon king!
---
I will be neither chivalrous nor sporting.
If I have an unstoppable superweapon, I will use it as early and as often as possible.