Remember when reviewers' scores actually matched the content of their reviews?

#1wolf riderPosted 1/20/2013 3:00:57 AM
For me, reviews for The Bouncer will always be the shining moment of video game journalism

The Bouncer was a game by Squaresoft, whom at the time of the game's release, was basically considered a God tier video game company after releasing cult hit after cult hit.

Then came The Bouncer, a game with drop dead gorgeous graphics but lacking in gameplay. How was it received?

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-2/the-bouncer/critic-reviews

It got what it deserved: 6-7/10, which meant it was a solid game, but not a great game. This was back when the score for an average game was 5 mind you, unlike today were 7 is the average.

Fast forward to 2013.

DmC reviews:
- Less depth in combat than the very first game
- Boring platforming
- Dull boss battles
- Unlikable protagonist
- Juvenile writing
+ Good artistic direction
+ Accessible to newcomers

= 8-9/10

/SMH
---
Capcom tries to appeal to the CoD gamer with RE6.
CoD gamer buys the new CoD instead.
#2FireMage7777Posted 1/20/2013 3:02:21 AM
Ah the Golden Age
---
ScrewAttack needs to redo Goku Vs Superman with actual research on Goku. One word: Katchin...I mean Goku can lift a MINIMUM of 21.675 trillion tons in base form
#3ZeroX07Posted 1/20/2013 3:02:37 AM
I agree and godbless u. And this comes from an atheist.
#4RezzmanPosted 1/20/2013 3:04:09 AM
Things always get fuddled when money is involved.
---
-=Rezzy=-
#5sjwho2Posted 1/20/2013 3:04:16 AM
And then came Call of Duty.
#6produnerPosted 1/20/2013 3:04:57 AM
In 2013 walls can make accounts in Gfaqs.No point in addressing issues and stating facts that discard the accuracy of reviews. All what matters is reviews that are used in the silly "war" here.

Glitch fests get 9s and 10s what were you expecting?
#7ninja_poopPosted 1/20/2013 3:06:08 AM
- Dull boss battles
- Unlikable protagonist
- Juvenile writing

While I'll give you the boss battles are really poor, I love the reimagining of Vergil and Dante. Old Dante was too cheesy for me, and Vergil was the most cliche power hungry brother of them all.

and the writing is about as good as any blockbuster action movie that would come out today. It even compares to past DMC writing, just without all the corniness and cheese. I much prefer this.
---
Not changing my signature until marijuana is legalized. Monday, January 18, 2010, 8:08 PM
-11.06.12 Colorado becomes the first state
#8SparNar607Posted 1/20/2013 3:06:58 AM
Damn it now I miss The Bouncer.
---
"On and On the road does go, down into the depths below"
"Off you went to call the King, you wish to hear the Devil sing."
#9SiLVeR_420Posted 1/20/2013 3:07:34 AM
I loved The Bouncer...
---
Gamertag- youngSiLVeRstar
Forgive the name.
#10KA_ME_HA_ME_HAPosted 1/20/2013 3:07:35 AM
ninja_poop posted...
- Dull boss battles
- Unlikable protagonist
- Juvenile writing

While I'll give you the boss battles are really poor, I love the reimagining of Vergil and Dante. Old Dante was too cheesy for me, and Vergil was the most cliche power hungry brother of them all.

and the writing is about as good as any blockbuster action movie that would come out today. It even compares to past DMC writing, just without all the corniness and cheese. I much prefer this.

No, actual professional reviews have written that they don't like the writing and the New Dante.

The issues he listed were ones mentioned in actual reviews who then proceeded to give a 9/10... it makes no sense.
---
[INSERT SIGNATURE HERE]