Let's be honest here, did you REALLY enjoy DMC4 that much?

#91Psychochild27Posted 1/21/2013 12:05:01 PM
LordMe posted...
Yes, with 90+ hours in the game it is tied with DMC3 for my favorite.

I've got about 80 on the 360 version, 120 on the PC (Though I also stopped saving on the 360 release, so it's much more than that by this point)
#92pacpuf7249Posted 1/21/2013 12:32:30 PM
The only DMC I've played is the 4's demo. It was good, but nothing really special, like 8/10 material. If I felt that way, maybe I get why some of you thought it was bad, as you praise the first 3 (although I've never read anything about the second one) like its so original and groundbreaking and pseudo-hate DMC4.

I guess expectations (and later, thoughts, reviews, analyses and reactions) for one game depend on previuosly played games?
---
Cool Smash is an action movie in where Matrix-and-X-Men-like characters fight in the warehouse that appeared in the first episode of Falling Skies.
#93antking61Posted 1/21/2013 12:35:53 PM
pacpuf7249 posted...
The only DMC I've played is the 4's demo. It was good, but nothing really special, like 8/10 material. If I felt that way, maybe I get why some of you thought it was bad, as you praise the first 3 (although I've never read anything about the second one) like its so original and groundbreaking and pseudo-hate DMC4.

You rank 8/10 as nothing special? The review score is so screwed up.

And most people hated DMC2 as a whole.
---
Hoo Haa!!! I has Signature!!!
#94_Uwye_Posted 1/21/2013 12:41:40 PM
SHMYazoo posted...
I mean, the game was a backtrack fest, had you controlling a character other than Dante (that played differently from Dante) for half the game... and these are just the facts about it.

Nero has 13 levels, Dante 7 and "only" 6 are recycled. Yeah, totally half the game.

The only redeemable aspect of DMC4 is the gameplay, but even then, DMC3 had better gameplay as well.

Not sure if serious. DMC4 has better enemies, all the styles at once and 3+3 weapons instead of 2+2. Sure, DMC3 has more stuff in total (man, imagine the control scheme of DMC4 with the ability to switch styles, guns and weapons of DMC3...) but muuuuch less at any given time.

And regarding your question, yes, I really enjoyed it.
#95ShengaliPosted 1/21/2013 12:44:58 PM
DMC4 was awesome, people just like to complain because that's what the internet is for. DMC4 is my second favorite, behind DMC3.

- Nero was fun to use to ease into the combat. He has less options, but the exceed system and DB made his combat extremely fun - and demanded to be explored further in depth. As someone pointed out, DBing Stuned Bosses was an incredible feeling - and had different animations for even slightly different enemies.

- Dante was incredibly powerful and playing as him was crazy fun. He didn't have all the moves from DMC3, but having everything available on the fly helped to make up for it IMO.

- Two characters provided a nice contrast to their play styles, since they didn't play exactly the same.

- Backtracking. I agree, backtracking complaints are overused. ALL DMCs HAD BACKTRACKING - and no, they didn't hide it better. DMC1 backtracked, but they made it hazy/slightly changed the color scheme. DMC2 did this as well. DMC3 simply reordered the rooms. At least DMC4 not only CHANGED THE ORDER (ala DMC3 by having the forest maze shift around, as well as the Castle being full of ice and blocking off passages) BUT LET'S YOU PLAY AS A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT CHARACTER!! More on this in the next point.

- Boss battles recycled. Whatever, all the DMCs do this as well. At least in DMC4 they felt vastly different. Again, Nero and Dante don't play like each other. Fighting Berial with Dante was cake compared to fighting him with Nero for the first time. Fighting him at the end with Nero was also different, as you had much more moves/skills unlocked, more experience using Nero, the DT, etc.

Yeah, DMC4 was awesome... But we've been over this before, on countless other threads. Overall order for me is DMC3>Bayo>DMC4=DMC1>DmC>DMC2 - obviously DMC4 is definately up there for me.

Oh, and TC? If Nero doesn't develop over DMC4 then you can't claim Dante develops over DmC - as it's basically the same progression.
#96Gallion-BeastPosted 1/21/2013 12:47:24 PM
It certainly wasn't anything more than a poor man's DMC3, but that's no defence of DmC and was no good reason to throw the baby out with the bathwater.
#97BlackSheepWallsPosted 1/21/2013 12:47:44 PM
I was very disappointed with DMC4. DMC4 was not finished by release.
#98Nick_KazamaPosted 1/21/2013 12:52:42 PM
DMC4 had all Dante's styles (minus Quicksilver and Doppleganger) on the fly along with Vergil's style Dark Slayer.

That was great.
---
My harem -
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h297/NIck_Kazama/bunnyharuhi.jpg
#99SilentS89Posted 1/21/2013 1:01:29 PM
Yes, I really did enjoy DMC4 that much.

Was it unpolished? Yes.

Was it flawed on a conceptual level like DmC? No.
#100NostalgiaRulesPosted 1/21/2013 1:10:18 PM
Yes. I enjoyed DMC 4 very much.
---
Newer isn't always better.
And I shall keep Dante's Force Edge polished and sharp till he comes back.