Timeline/Purchase question

#1kerafnoobPosted 1/21/2013 3:49:07 AM
So i went to a local Gamestop (Tuesday last week) after friend of mine told me that this game was released on that day and it would be a really good action game.
As I arrived there it seemed a little bit expensive. But I stumbled across Devil May Cry 4 and Devil May Cry HD Collection which were cheaper combined.
The Gamestop employee wanted to convince me that the new one is the better game, but like I said it was just a little bit too expensive.
After I came home I started playing the first Devil May Cry, the second right afterwards. At the weekend i played the third and realized that this clearly took place before the other 2 Games (Dante looked younger and his brother was no abomination) .
So I wondered about the timeline. So how is the order of the 5 titles chronologically.

And is the new title worth 60 ( or should I rather buy it for PC)
I payed about 35 combined for the other 2

(Sorry English is not my native language)
#2Grey_Fox4Posted 1/21/2013 3:54:01 AM
This game is set in a different timeline the Dante in this game is not the same Dante in the other 4 games.

I bought this at full price because if you pre ordered you got the Vergil DLC free, otherwise I would have waited until it was a little cheaper.
---
Currently looking forward to: Devil May Cry 5 and The Rapture.
#3A_Nonny_MoosePosted 1/21/2013 3:54:25 AM(edited)
It goes DMC3 - DMC1 - DMC4 - DMc2. This new one is separate.
---
http://i.imgur.com/QB2km.png
#4megamaticsPosted 1/21/2013 3:55:02 AM
Chronologically the events Take place

3-1-4-2

DmC is an Alternate Universe so it doesn't fall into the same world as the previous games. It's a far dumbed down version of the games so don't expect any new challenge when playing it. It's more so a game for people who want a lite combat wise hack and slash. I'd recommend getting it when it eventually hits the bargain bin as it is not selling well at all as foreshadowing from recent data.
---
GamerTag: RaymondMic/OptimusMega PSN: Optimus Mega
SteamProfile: Megamatics
#5laskalPosted 1/21/2013 3:57:07 AM
I think it's :
DMC3
DMC1
DMC4
DMC2

New game is a reboot. So it's not in the same continuity at all
---
Official Lightning's shorts of this board.
Official Selphie's panties of every board!!!
#6kerafnoob(Topic Creator)Posted 1/21/2013 4:47:20 AM
Ahh k, so it is an Alternate universe.

So rather get it for PC or console ?
#7DRX777Posted 1/21/2013 4:51:04 AM
kerafnoob posted...
Ahh k, so it is an Alternate universe.

So rather get it for PC or console ?

Definitely PC. Runs a whole lot smoother, and you'll get it cheaper on Steam in a few months.
---
Oh no, there goes Toh-kee-yoh!
http://www.rockband.com/users/Dark_Raven_X