Why this entry is a DMC vet's favorite:

#1kahPosted 1/21/2013 12:37:45 PM(edited)
First off, my credentials. I've beat all 4 games, while beating DMC1 on DMD mode, as well as the original (i.e. unnerfed) DMC3 on DMD mode. Completing DMC3 was one of my most satisfying gaming experiences, and I thought it had the best gameplay of all in the series.

So here's why I think this one is best:

1. A coherent and well written storyline. Dante is a million times better character in this game, and the voice acting and dialogue are the best we've seen. That scene where Kat was shot and beaten while Dante stood there powerless actually made me feel something. A+ for making a storyline that isn't cheesy or laughable. And for once, the world of DmC actually feels alive and not deserted (which always made it hard to feel any connection to Dante's plight).

2. Style. Hands down this game is the best. Combos are visually and aesthetically satisfying and impact of the demon weapons is downright painful. Small touches make the all the differences, like the way Dante brushes back his coat to draw his pistols and the particles that fly off enemies as they burst into orbs in slow motion. This is the type of game you want to show off to non-gamers to show just how cool video games can be.

3. Sound. The music is addictive and blood pumping. I'm glad they went for a more NIN's inspired sound than the grating metal stuff that annoyed the hell out of me in DMC3. Definitely my favorite. And the sound effects in this game are dead on. If you play with headphones, you will marvel at just how good the shotgun blasts sound and the bass from Eryx's combos.

4. Mission balance. I'm glad they've balanced most missions to be solid 30 minute chunks a piece. One of my problems with the series have been missions that are pointless, lacking combat, annoying, or just too short. I can only think of one mission that seemed kind of lame where you only fought maybe 2 sets of enemies (and even they were optional).

I love the new direction for the series. No longer must I cringe at cut scene dialogue and story. Combat is so much more visceral and satisfying. The overall experience makes me excited to play through again and I think I'm going to go for the platinum (which is rare for me to do).

If I have one gripe with DmC it's all the emphasis on platforming and traversal. It's functional and it works, but DmC is an action game, not a platformer. I could of done without so much of the angel and demon gripping in the levels to get around, especially since it doesn't change much from the first time you use it.

Other than that, this game has gone beyond my expectations and it's become my favorite.

Edit: Actually I also want to add that my other gripe is that the boss battles were a bit underwhelming and lacking. I'll have to play through on the harder difficulties to see if they get any new skills or anything changes, but they weren't very interesting and I used the same 2 or 3 combos to take them out between evading. Would of been nice to see more bosses and ones that required more thought and skill, and that utilized more of your move set.

Beowulf (DMC3) is still the best and most fun boss of the series (especially when you Royal Guard all his moves).
#2QCTeamkillPosted 1/21/2013 12:23:38 PM
Prepare to be boarded!
#3superbowl54Posted 1/21/2013 12:23:45 PM
kah posted...
First off, my credentials. I've beat all 4 games, while beating DMC1 on DMD mode, as well as the original (i.e. unnerfed) DMC3 on DMD mode. Completing DMC3 was one of my most satisfying gaming experiences, and I thought it had the best gameplay of all in the series.

So here's why I think this one is best:

1. A coherent and well written storyline. Dante is a million times better character in this game, and the voice acting and dialogue are the best we've seen. That scene where Kat was shot and beaten while Dante stood there powerless actually made me feel something. A+ for making a storyline that isn't cheesy or laughable. And for once, the world of DmC actually feels alive and not deserted (which always made it hard to feel any connection to Dante's plight).

2. Style. Hands down this game is the best. Combos are visually and aesthetically satisfying and impact of the demon weapons is downright painful. Small touches make the all the differences, like the way Dante brushes back his coat to draw his pistols and the particles that fly off enemies as they burst into orbs in slow motion. This is the type of game you want to show off to non-gamers to show just how cool video games can be.

3. Sound. The music is addictive and blood pumping. I'm glad they went for a more NIN's inspired sound than the grating metal stuff that annoyed the hell out of me in DMC3. Definitely my favorite. And the sound effects in this game are dead on. If you play with headphones, you will marvel at just how good the shotgun blasts sound and the bass from Eryx's combos.

4. Mission balance. I'm glad they've balanced most missions to be solid 30 minute chunks a piece. One of my problems with the series have been missions that are pointless, lacking combat, annoying, or just too short. I can only think of one mission that seemed kind of lame where you only fought maybe 2 sets of enemies (and even they were optional).

I love the new direction for the series. No longer must I cringe at cut scene dialogue and story. Combat is so much more visceral and satisfying. The overall experience makes me excited to play through again and I think I'm going to go for the platinum (which is rare for me to do).

If I have one gripe with DmC it's all the emphasis on platforming and traversal. It's functional and it works, but DmC is an action game, not a platformer. I could of done without so much of the angel and demon gripping in the levels to get around, especially since it doesn't change much from the first time you use it.

Other than that, this game has gone beyond my expectations and it's become my favorite.

Agreed on all points except your one gripe. I'd much prefer to have platforming sections than puzzles and such (or incredibly annoying things like the board game level in DMC4).
---
XBL: Beasts Inc; PSN: DeadlySilence
Currently Playing: Dark Souls, Persona 4 Arena, Black Ops 2, Hyperdimension Neptunia Mk2, ZOE HD, Valkyria Chronicles, DmC
#4down585Posted 1/21/2013 12:23:51 PM
Kobe says "You're welcome."
---
PSN down585
#5Pesmerga255Posted 1/21/2013 12:23:57 PM
QCTeamkill posted...
Prepare to be boarded!

Trolls =/= Pirates.
---
I JUST KEEP BURNNING LOVE!
#6Green_PuffPosted 1/21/2013 12:24:35 PM
Ooohh, credentials. This should be good.

*Gets popcorn*
---
You will not forget this devils power!
#7antking61Posted 1/21/2013 12:25:33 PM
Don't understand why everybody's bragging on playing the old DMC games as if that will make people listen to them.
---
Hoo Haa!!! I has Signature!!!
#8produnerPosted 1/21/2013 12:25:56 PM
NT made a new account.
#9Pesmerga255Posted 1/21/2013 12:26:24 PM
as well as the original (i.e. unnerfed) DMC3 on DMD mode.

DMD was the same in the original and SE of the game.
---
I JUST KEEP BURNNING LOVE!
#10Green_PuffPosted 1/21/2013 12:26:50 PM
I see all your points, and I still liked the older DMC better.

Come at me, bro.
---
You will not forget this devils power!