For the people who keep complaining that this game is "too easy"...

#1SHMYazooPosted 1/21/2013 5:47:24 PM
... have you thought about the possibility of you not being the target audience for the game these days, when the industry wants the casual-angry birds audience? Maybe the game genuinely is not made for you (nothing personal) and there's no reason to keep complaining, only to move along. Let's face it, we, the ones that were 12~14 when the first game was released and are 23~25 today, aren't the target audience for it.

I see the same thing happening with the "hardcore" people who watch the Pokemon Anime. Bear with me. Recently, Ash used the Pokedex to identify a Koffing, a Pokemon he has met THOUSANDS of times in the beginning seasons of the Pokemon Anime. He shouldn't need to ask what was this little monster, right? So people complained about how stupid that was, that writers were hacks, etc, etc... But they forget one thing. The first seasons were released TEN YEARS AGO. The target audience is comprised of people around the age of 10~12, which weren't watching the anime when it began. The target audience isn't the 20+ years old dudes who were around since the beginning and that's the awful truth.

Let's face the facts, DMC has never made that much of a profit for Capcom in the past (DMC4 being the highest seller in the series, yes, even more than dear ol' 3, despite not being the best game, in my opinion). That's why Capcom tried a new approach with EVERY new game in the series, trying to make it a big hit.

DMC1 was revolutionary in the action genre but it's profit margin was low. So for the sequel they had ANOTHER director in and tried to follow the trend of the market (around the time Jak II was released, GTA III, everyone making dark, serious, more open levels for their games), they had a completely different, more serious and dark Dante replace the old Dante, with an easier combat on top of that. People didn't like it and it sold approximately the same as DMC1 in the beginning but quickly declined after a few weeks.

Then comes a new director and DMC3 as a "return to the roots" with its amazing gameplay, but even DMC3 Dante wasn't the same Dante we saw in the first game, even the first game director and creator of Dante says that (look up in his twitter posts). He's just crazy in DMC3, even obnoxious to some people, but the game did its job, it sold a good amount, at least enough to have a profit, which they tried to capitalize with a special edition which was EASIER than the normal version and added a few things.

Seeing as DMC3 was the biggest release in its franchise, what did Capcom order the developers to do? A DMC 3.5 but with a younger guy as the main character, as an old Dante wouldn't appeal to younger audiences (see a trend so far?). After some backlash and Capcom deciding they didn't wanna spend as much as the developers said they needed to complete the game, Dante was inserted in the game, as an afterthought, a playable character for 7 missions of the game, 6 of them featuring shameless backtracking (they were supposed to be full levels, but had to be cut, look at the concept arts of the game), to please fans. It sold well because of the gameplay and all the hype of the NEXT GENERATION and Dante in HD, also there were no good hack n' slash games in the beginning of the PS3 / X360 era... But still it didn't sell enough for them.

It's completely logical, from a business perspective, the next step they took, which was to reboot the franchise, as DMC started having a convoluted storyline with the Nero thing added to it. They, again, tried to appeal to the casual, younger, western audience, since the past games were appealing to the asians much more than the average americans or europeans.

Have they failed or succeeded? Who knows? Only time will tell, but from a business point of view, it was the right thing to do. That or killing the series. Would you prefer this?
---
Aion is just like all other WoW clones, I mean, the Mage in Aion has a Fireball spell and can make Portals. WoW ANYONE??? - Aion Boards
#2sworderPosted 1/21/2013 5:49:06 PM
DMC is a difficult series for people that like the challenge.

If NT wants to make casual games, go ruin other series and not DMC.
#3BrocknothPosted 1/21/2013 5:51:34 PM(edited)
tl:dr

Making a reboot to attract a wider audience is fine. It's when you SCREW OVER the established audience in the process is what's the problem and that's exactly what Capcom did here. Backlash is to be expected.
---
"Foolishness Donte, foolishness! No one can have this series. It's mine. It belongs to a true son of Sparda!"
#4Green_PuffPosted 1/21/2013 5:51:30 PM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/154/912/berneydidnotread.gif?1318992465
---
You will not forget this devils power!
#5Roger_BaconPosted 1/21/2013 5:51:44 PM
They said the hardcore fans and pro players would find a challenge in this game....they lied.
---
To defeat me,you must defeat my dragon punch
Psn - Darth_Richy
#6megaultrarice34Posted 1/21/2013 5:52:59 PM
Nice essay
---
PSN: OceanSupermarket
#7gamer6879403333Posted 1/21/2013 5:53:05 PM
Green_Puff posted...
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/154/912/berneydidnotread.gif?1318992465

Aww, poor boy never learned to read. Did you grow up homeless and orphaned? Forgotten by the system?
---
They shot a diamond made of iron at a car moving at 400 walls per hour-One of the dumbest sentences ever.
#8Black OutPosted 1/21/2013 5:53:15 PM
Roger_Bacon posted...
They said the hardcore fans and pro players would find a challenge in this game....they lied.

This.
---
The Official Manchester Black of the C&GN Board
"Fly me to the moon, and let me play among the stars. . . "
#9soulegion08Posted 1/21/2013 5:54:14 PM
Green_Puff posted...

for the first time, ive actually laughed at one of your posts. kudos to you.

TC: this will most likely fall on deaf ears, save i have to agree with you though. the target audience has changed.
---
PSN:SSoul0
AC2:B, LittleBigPlanet 2, Uncharted 1+2, Crysis2, MAG, Vanquish, Folklore,MGS4, NSUNS2 *My PS3 titles*
#10SHMYazoo(Topic Creator)Posted 1/21/2013 5:54:37 PM
sworder posted...
DMC is a difficult series for people that like the challenge.

If NT wants to make casual games, go ruin other series and not DMC.

But it's not about what I like or you like. It was never about that. It's about the share holders of Capcom wanting profit and making a game for a elite, niche group isn't good for them. They couldn't care less if DMC3 had higher frame rate, they'll only see the numbers. So business decisions like trying to appeal to a wider audience is a good move for them, despite we not knowing if it's a success or a failure in the grand scheme of things so far.
---
Aion is just like all other WoW clones, I mean, the Mage in Aion has a Fireball spell and can make Portals. WoW ANYONE??? - Aion Boards