For the people who keep complaining that this game is "too easy"...

#111produnerPosted 1/21/2013 7:58:17 PM
Dark_Epathy posted...
I'm all for difficulty levels, myself, I think that's the best option out there, and certainly the most logical. But you'd be surprised at how many people--typically the "elitists"--get up in arms when the very idea is mentioned.

Dark Souls II is probably the best example. I've seen people argue that a hypothetical "easy" mode should not be included, even though the default difficulty would probably still be present. Supposedly it would "kill the spirit" of the game. Disregarding how the PvP would work, I don't see how it would harm the game's integrity when it would still require the best of its players to truly finish it.

Of course, then you have exceptions like this game, where the highest difficulty level still isn't enough to satisfy the most ardent of players. In that case, what can you do but just shrug your shoulders. You can't satisfy everyone.

The dark souls 2 thing is ridiculous and makes sense at the same time LOL. I think that the difficulty should be tuned a bit in a " normal" mode that you can switch to or From should make a guide for noobs like a Manuel and give them the option to play at the lower difficulty after getting owned.They should also encourage them somehow to play at the default difficulty.
#112Dark_EpathyPosted 1/21/2013 7:58:22 PM
You know what i hate the most? A large number of people focus on such business practices and ignore integrity and innovation. A lot of people are leaving profession and dedication for such practices everywhere; its difficult to start anything.

I agree with what you're saying in principle, but I don't think the gaming industry has become this corporate mass machine, either.

We're still getting quality titles, just of a different sort. Many of the constraints that made games difficult in the past have been eased out. Fixed camera angles, for one, are being seen as archaic. Someone may prefer them, but it's important to make a distinction between nostalgia and what actually works better.

I enjoy challenging games, myself, but I also like the new cinematic trend we're seeing video games take. The technology has become so sophisticated now. Look at the things we can do in regards to storytelling and production. Maybe I sound like some self-important "auteur" like David Cage or even Tameem, but I think it's an exciting time for the industry.

We just need people to actually focus on refining these experiences and making them compelling, both to play once and revisit.
---
~@_@~
Why are you people so hung up on what's canon or not? - freakazaa
#113SHMYazoo(Topic Creator)Posted 1/21/2013 7:59:38 PM
Dark_Epathy posted...
I'm all for difficulty levels, myself, I think that's the best option out there, and certainly the most logical. But you'd be surprised at how many people--typically the "elitists"--get up in arms when the very idea is mentioned.

Dark Souls II is probably the best example. I've seen people argue that a hypothetical "easy" mode should not be included, even though the default difficulty would probably still be present. Supposedly it would "kill the spirit" of the game. Disregarding how the PvP would work, I don't see how it would harm the game's integrity when it would still require the best of its players to truly finish it.

Of course, then you have exceptions like this game, where the highest difficulty level still isn't enough to satisfy the most ardent of players. In that case, what can you do but just shrug your shoulders. You can't satisfy everyone.

Nice point. The Dark Souls II easy mode controversy is something deeply related to this, indeed. At its core, what would be the problem of letting more people experience the game, if your experience will technically still be the same?

My two cents? I think there's some pride in the whole elitist scenario, the idea that they're unique. The smaller the number of people who experienced what you have, the greater it is for some of these people. That's also why some people brag about a game being an exclusive or not. What's the problem with more gamers experiencing something? Some people were genuinely mad that Final Fantasy XIII was released on the Xbox 360. Some DMC players were mad DMC4 was released on the Xbox 360 and then the HD Collection. It's like other people's experience will devalue their fun. It's absurd, in my opinion. Which is why I say "Accessible =/= Bad", "Rated for Everyone (like Ni No Kuni) =/= bad", etc.
---
Aion is just like all other WoW clones, I mean, the Mage in Aion has a Fireball spell and can make Portals. WoW ANYONE??? - Aion Boards
#114SHMYazoo(Topic Creator)Posted 1/21/2013 8:00:26 PM
soulegion08 posted...
I enjoyed the discussion albeit a bit of hard-headedness involved from others. I take my leave now though, thank you for the enlightened and constructive discussion Yazoo. Its good to meet others with a level head.

No problem, man. Your posts were well thought out. See ya someday.
---
Aion is just like all other WoW clones, I mean, the Mage in Aion has a Fireball spell and can make Portals. WoW ANYONE??? - Aion Boards
#115Dark_EpathyPosted 1/21/2013 8:01:36 PM
I think that the difficulty should be tuned a bit in a " normal" mode that you can switch to or From should make a guide for noobs like a Manuel and give them the option to play at the lower difficulty after getting owned.They should also encourage them somehow to play at the default difficulty.

That's ideally what I envision for the game. An easier mode could maybe have different items and stronger weapons available early on, but it wouldn't necessarily make the enemies any less aggressive or damaging. Some enemies, locations, and bosses could even be reserved specifically for the harder difficulty, giving others incentive to eventually try it.

There are a lot of ways to encourage people to explore a game. I don't believe it has to be a "take it or leave it" where a game is so difficult or unforgiving that it turns people off from what could be an enjoyable experience.
---
~@_@~
Why are you people so hung up on what's canon or not? - freakazaa
#116produnerPosted 1/21/2013 8:04:50 PM
Dark_Epathy posted...
You know what i hate the most? A large number of people focus on such business practices and ignore integrity and innovation. A lot of people are leaving profession and dedication for such practices everywhere; its difficult to start anything.

I agree with what you're saying in principle, but I don't think the gaming industry has become this corporate mass machine, either.

We're still getting quality titles, just of a different sort. Many of the constraints that made games difficult in the past have been eased out. Fixed camera angles, for one, are being seen as archaic. Someone may prefer them, but it's important to make a distinction between nostalgia and what actually works better.

I enjoy challenging games, myself, but I also like the new cinematic trend we're seeing video games take. The technology has become so sophisticated now. Look at the things we can do in regards to storytelling and production. Maybe I sound like some self-important "auteur" like David Cage or even Tameem, but I think it's an exciting time for the industry.

We just need people to actually focus on refining these experiences and making them compelling, both to play once and revisit.

what i wanted to say that the lack of integrity is everywhere and on a large scale; not just in the video game industry.
I agree with you on that, though the gameplay standards are low currently in this gen; clunky games, mindless shooters, low Fps, no balance and ability to play at high level. Few games maintain solid gameplay and other new gen trends.
#117produnerPosted 1/21/2013 8:06:58 PM
soulegion08 posted...
I enjoyed the discussion albeit a bit of hard-headedness involved from others. I take my leave now though, thank you for the enlightened and constructive discussion Yazoo. Its good to meet others with a level head.

Cute.
#118SHMYazoo(Topic Creator)Posted 1/21/2013 8:08:56 PM
produner posted...
Dark_Epathy posted...

what i wanted to say that the lack of integrity is everywhere and on a large scale; not just in the video game industry.
I agree with you on that, though the gameplay standards are low currently in this gen; clunky games, mindless shooters, low Fps, no balance and ability to play at high level. Few games maintain solid gameplay and other new gen trends.

That, unfortunately, also has to do with the said "cinematic" feels, which I ilike but can take the focus away from the gameplay. Some developers would rather have a cinematic experience than a game with a well developed gameplay.
---
#119produnerPosted 1/21/2013 8:11:26 PM
SHMYazoo posted...
produner posted...
Dark_Epathy posted...

That, unfortunately, also has to do with the said "cinematic" feels, which I ilike but can take the focus away from the gameplay. Some developers would rather have a cinematic experience than a game with a well developed gameplay.

Tameem took arrogance to a new level; dumped gameplay because of the pretty,dynamic environment. Now I need a fix to stop my self from face palming my face till it bleeds.
#120SHMYazoo(Topic Creator)Posted 1/21/2013 8:14:31 PM
produner posted...
SHMYazoo posted...
produner posted...
Dark_Epathy posted...

Tameem took arrogance to a new level; dumped gameplay because of the pretty,dynamic environment. Now I need a fix to stop my self from face palming my face till it bleeds.

We'll have to agree that we disagree with each other, because I ended up liking DmC a lot, and I was really skeptical at first. Oh well... It can't please everyone... Some people thought the story was bad, I thought it was good, some people think Superman is a boring character, I love Superman, some people like Aerosmith, I like KISS :(
---