I do not understand the story complaints....

#1CoopDeville09Posted 1/21/2013 5:18:10 PM
I feel like the story for the original 4 games was a convoluted mess. People are saying this has poor writing in comparison, but I can't seem to find the quality writing in the previous games. Any thoughts on that subject?

Other than that, I am enjoying the gameplay. Maybe not as much as 3 or 4, but I find it entertaining nonetheless.
#2darkdragon_9600Posted 1/21/2013 5:20:49 PM
Expected "Past DMCs weren't that good".

2/10, been there, done that. Use the search function.
---
Can I haz cheezburger?
#3ThunderfuryPosted 1/21/2013 5:20:51 PM
CoopDeville09 posted...
I feel like the story for the original 4 games was a convoluted mess. People are saying this has poor writing in comparison, but I can't seem to find the quality writing in the previous games. Any thoughts on that subject?

Other than that, I am enjoying the gameplay. Maybe not as much as 3 or 4, but I find it entertaining nonetheless.

agreed.
#4CoopDeville09(Topic Creator)Posted 1/21/2013 5:25:26 PM
darkdragon_9600 posted...

....Since I didn't say something that makes you argue to defend a game you won't respond with something worthwhile? I was just looking for opinions and I get a response like this instead.

Once again I see why I try to never post on these boards.
#5LSullaPosted 1/21/2013 5:25:38 PM
I tend to agree with you. I thought that the story was actually interesting. There was some real growth in the main character, and the voice acting never turned me off. Yeah the dialogue could get a little ridiculous at times, but those were usually one-liners and intentionally bad. There were also a lot of holes or missed opportunities (Why can only nephilim kill Mundus?) But it did seem like they put effort in it and it shows, even if you dislike the kind of juvenile tone. The hostage trade scene was particularly tense.

The other games' stories were pretty pathetic though. DMC3 came the closest but it still seemed like more of an excuse to show of ridiculous stunts and one-liners than a legitimate story. It's still my favorite of the series, so don't get me wrong. DMC4 was a mess of a story filled with holes and unexplained motivations. None of the other games' stories hold a candle to DmC in terms of quality, but its still no masterpiece.
#6produnerPosted 1/21/2013 5:38:27 PM(edited)
The story of DmC sucks regardless of DMC's story. DMC's story on the other hand is not direct, rather uses symbols, settings and character background to link it with the story and plot. Also the dialogue and lines were good at some point and cheesy in the other, for example vergil,arkham and mundus' lines where most likely good and served the story and the context well, on the other hand DmC had unnecessary lines , cutscenes and cussing that were unnecessary, thus it was considered bad on the standards of storytelling.

Aside from that, DMC's story was most likely about emotions and demons; a demon that had a change of heart and sense of justice (sparda and trish), DMC 3 had vergil's hunger for power and it was clear in his lines "might controls everything....you cannot protect anything" that was a reference to their mother's death. Also vergil's likes and cares about dante despite the rivalry.

^ how is that a bad story? Your lack of understanding doesn't mean that DMC had a bad story, its good enough in terms of standards of storytelling and characters.

The story is deep,its people that don't look much into the story and journalist who made the game appear to have a bad/shallow story.
#7BrocknothPosted 1/21/2013 5:32:27 PM
DMC 1-4 - never took the plot seriously, had cheesy one liners, and just had a good time and poked fun at itself.

DmC - "If I do my job right it;ll prove that gaming stories aren't trite and can compare to the best film and lit have to offer" IE: DmC = SERIOUS BUSINESS.

See the difference? This why people complain about the story. The fanfiction level writing style just adds to the negativity.
---
"Foolishness Donte, foolishness! No one can have this series. It's mine. It belongs to a true son of Sparda!"
#8darkdragon_9600Posted 1/21/2013 5:33:16 PM
darkdragon_9600 posted...

....Since I didn't say something that makes you argue to defend a game you won't respond with something worthwhile? I was just looking for opinions and I get a response like this instead.

Once again I see why I try to never post on these boards.

We pretty much had this topic in the morning. And yesterday. And the day before. And before. And at launch. And when it leaked. And before. And when the demo hit.

To sum it up: past DMCs never meant to be serious. The story was a reason to go kill demons and gain new weapons, and it moved to somewhere because the game needed an ending. And to show that Dante was more than Woohoos, it would show that he cared about his brother, he made friends even if he was a loner, he even liked Nero. It was small, corny and never got in the way. And in 3 and 4, the acting was pretty solid.

Here, we get lots of cutscenes during the missions, boss fights have cutscenes interrupting the brawl because Poison HAD to talk about what she was going to do with Donte's corpse, the acting was pretty bad on some times, the ending had pretty much 0 closure and it's delivery was weak, we had some scenes that felt forced because it wanted to be edgy AND to top it off Tameem talked about how it would stand up to the best Film and Literature had to offer.

That's why. Sorry if I was rude, but this topic is pretty damn common.
---
Can I haz cheezburger?
#9sworderPosted 1/21/2013 5:34:26 PM
squirrel semen, f*** you, blaauurhghhh, suck me back in baby, you don't f*** with a god, I've got a bigger dick, who am I, you're Dante nothing more nothing less

Summary of the story
#10Pesmerga255Posted 1/21/2013 5:35:51 PM
sworder posted...
squirrel semen, f*** you, blaauurhghhh, suck me back in baby, you don't f*** with a god, I've got a bigger dick, who am I, you're Dante nothing more nothing less

Summary of the story

Impressive. You even included "Suck me back in, baby!".
---
I JUST KEEP BURNNING LOVE!