Forbes magazine proves to be better than gaming journalism when talking games.

#51DuuuDe14Posted 1/22/2013 9:38:30 PM
Detha posted...
The only game I'd call art is Metal Gear Solid 4, for its specific kind of cutscene interaction, for its pointless weather information, and for the iPod and all that it brought.

And Okami. Didnt even play it. Love it anyway <3
---
The Official Sons of Sparda of all GameFaqs boards.
I shall forever be sitting in Dante's chair. Till the day he returns to us.
#52SilentS89Posted 1/22/2013 9:40:01 PM
I personally think that specific games could be called art, but by default they are not.

They contain art, but aren't art.

The music, graphics, stories are art but the combined package usually isn't.

The typical video game is like an art gallery, the building contains art but isn't art itself.

My 2cents.
#53KA_ME_HA_ME_HAPosted 1/22/2013 9:42:45 PM
Well, it all depends on what you consider art.

Hell, the fact that some games can really immerse a player, making them feel like part of a different world, making them feel like more then themselves, making them feel... like something more.

Some games bring people to tears, others bring a sense of joy, others are just a freaking roller coaster that you feel happy to be a part of.

I'd consider that art. Something that can make you feel something, for good or bad... I consider that art.

Some people might not consider video games art, but it's all a matter of perspective.
---
[INSERT SIGNATURE HERE]
#54DethaPosted 1/22/2013 9:45:34 PM(edited)
SilentS89 posted...
I personally think that specific games could be called art, but by default they are not.

They contain art, but aren't art.

The music, graphics, stories are art but the combined package usually isn't.

The typical video game is like an art gallery, the building contains art but isn't art itself.

My 2cents.

Agreed completely. In fact, I preach the very same once in a while. The story that's bringing you to tears isn't the gameplay. Gameplay is the thing that makes a game a game and not a movie, or a visual novel.
---
i3 2130 @ 3.4 GHz | Taneem Xtreme 8gb @ 1600 MHz | GTX 460 (768mb) @ 855 MHz / 2000 MHz http://steamcommunity.com/id/dxluv
#55Dark_EpathyPosted 1/22/2013 9:45:59 PM
I'd consider that art. Something that can make you feel something, for good or bad... I consider that art.

Amen, brother.

Quality's another story, of course, but I'm with you there. : )
---
~@_@~
Why are you people so hung up on what's canon or not? - freakazaa
#56zhaoyun99Posted 1/22/2013 9:49:26 PM
To me, only masterpieces can be called art. Like Silent said, each aspect of the game can be called art. Like Koei and Arc masterpiece soundtracks can be called art. Like the crazy hardcore gameplay like DMC3 or 4, Hard Corps Uprising, or SO3 could be art. The graphic itself could be art. Gosh, talking about music, am I the only thinking that VG music (from Japan game) already better than any mainstream music?
---
"Another has fallen to my spear!!!" Zhao Yun
#57notrandomPosted 1/22/2013 10:07:19 PM
Got damn! How the hell does Forbes destroy supposed legit gaming sites when it comes to gaming?
This dude is just 120% correct. People have also being using the word entitled when it comes to overpriced and stupid as hell DLC as well.

I tell ya, gaming is just not what it use to be.
---
Say no to EA and Ubisoft's online passes. Say no to Capcom and Activision's scummy DLC ways. Say no to NISA's terrible and unfaithful localizations.
#58CKnightPosted 1/22/2013 10:08:39 PM
I disagree with the notion that a bad entry casts a bleak shadow over all previous installments.

Batman Forever and Batman & Robin didn't stop me from enjoying Batman and Batman Returns.

The Matrix sequels don't stop me from enjoying the first movie.

DMC2 didn't change my views of the first game.

And the horrible prequal trilogy didn't tarnish my view of the overall Star Wars Universe.

Blade Trinity doesn't stop me from enjoying the first 2 movies.....ect.

DMC doesn't tarnish the original games because it's a reboot. The original games I loved and can go back and enjoy are still there but the story is finished . Those character designs, style and such are finished, the story may continue but maybe not in game form. DMC is the Amazing Spider-man to Sam Raimi's Spider-man movies.

It's familiar enough for me to enjoy on a similar level but different enough so that I'm opptomistic of the future of the series and surprised at the same time.

Things I would fix ina sequel is a Devil Trigger thats part demon and angel... an idea http://www.creativeuncut.com/gallery-18/tbv-devil-jin.html

Maybe make Dante less pale, keep the black hair but make it a little longer, tighten up the clothing to make him look more like a serious devil hunter and less grunge.
#59AshernedPosted 1/22/2013 10:15:13 PM
CKnight posted...
I disagree with the notion that a bad entry casts a bleak shadow over all previous installments.

Metroid Other M. End of story.
#60KA_ME_HA_ME_HAPosted 1/22/2013 10:20:36 PM
Asherned posted...
CKnight posted...

Metroid Other M. End of story.

Other M is nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be.

I've been a huge fan of metroid, I thought it was good. Not the best, but not awful.
---
[INSERT SIGNATURE HERE]