Forbes magazine proves to be better than gaming journalism when talking games.

#61notrandomPosted 1/22/2013 10:23:24 PM
KA_ME_HA_ME_HA posted...
Asherned posted...
CKnight posted...
I disagree with the notion that a bad entry casts a bleak shadow over all previous installments.

Metroid Other M. End of story.

Other M is nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be.

I've been a huge fan of metroid, I thought it was good. Not the best, but not awful.

As a game I found it fine but I would want Samus to be known how she was portrayed in that game.
---
Say no to EA and Ubisoft's online passes. Say no to Capcom and Activision's scummy DLC ways. Say no to NISA's terrible and unfaithful localizations.
#62CKnightPosted 1/22/2013 10:28:26 PM
Asherned posted...
CKnight posted...
I disagree with the notion that a bad entry casts a bleak shadow over all previous installments.

So after you played Other M, The original Metroid games, Prime Trilogy and such are now worse to you?
#63KA_ME_HA_ME_HAPosted 1/22/2013 10:33:25 PM
notrandom posted...
KA_ME_HA_ME_HA posted...
Asherned posted...
CKnight posted...

Other M is nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be.

I've been a huge fan of metroid, I thought it was good. Not the best, but not awful.

As a game I found it fine but I would want Samus to be known how she was portrayed in that game.

While I wasn't the biggest fan of how she was portrayed, I find it unfair when people say they "ruined her character". Outside of some text here and there, Samus never said anything, she didn't even have character. She was an empty slate, they tried putting something down and people got mad.

Even then, in the manga (the canon one), Samus was portrayed to be pretty emotional, she flipped the **** out when she saw Ridley again.

I just find it unfair that they make it seem like the game itself is awful just because of Samus's personality. The gameplay imo was great, the soundtrack was good, all the mechanics worked perfectly, and even with the bad personality that Samus had, the plot wasn't downright terrible.

It was, imo, a 7/10 game objectively.
---
[INSERT SIGNATURE HERE]
#64AshernedPosted 1/22/2013 10:37:41 PM
CKnight posted...
Asherned posted...
CKnight posted...

So after you played Other M, The original Metroid games, Prime Trilogy and such are now worse to you?

Correct. Because no matter how much fun I'm having with those games, I know how Samus's story will end: with her becoming an irrational mess.
#65AshernedPosted 1/22/2013 10:39:25 PM
KA_ME_HA_ME_HA posted...
...the plot wasn't downright terrible.

How the **** anyone can say this with a straight face is beyond me.
#66Psychochild27Posted 1/22/2013 10:44:37 PM
Asherned posted...
CKnight posted...

I will say Other M ruined Fusion for me after I replayed it recently and realized just how much it read like Other M. After that realization I couldn't stop hearing Samus' rambling in her Other M voice and ngggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggh.
#67KA_ME_HA_ME_HAPosted 1/22/2013 10:44:37 PM
Asherned posted...
KA_ME_HA_ME_HA posted...
...the plot wasn't downright terrible.

How the **** anyone can say this with a straight face is beyond me.

Because it wasn't. Was it Grade A, tenouddaten, best plot ever? Hell no.

Was it good enough to actually give the player a reason to play? Yeah. It was.

I mean, I was actually trying to figure out who the deleter was, I was really interested. The plot was interesting enough.

I still had some gripes with the game, but it wasn't garbage like people say. They act like it's the worst thing ever. It was pretty good, the gameplay was pretty darn great. It had all the metroid elements. I call it a good enough Metroid entry.

That said, I reeeaaally hope that whatever Retro is working on is Metroid. Prime is one of my favorite metroid games, I'd love to see them take another crack at the series.
---
[INSERT SIGNATURE HERE]
#68DethaPosted 1/22/2013 10:49:03 PM
All I can read in that criticism of Other M is a lot of entitlement.

The real problem was the gameplay. **** sucked.
---
i3 2130 @ 3.4 GHz | Taneem Xtreme 8gb @ 1600 MHz | GTX 460 (768mb) @ 855 MHz / 2000 MHz http://steamcommunity.com/id/dxluv
#69Malus_X6Posted 1/22/2013 10:49:51 PM
Erik Kain, eh?

I do believe I like the cut of that man's jib.
---
PSN: LordMalus
XBL: LordMalusDCLXVI
#70KA_ME_HA_ME_HAPosted 1/22/2013 10:52:42 PM
Detha posted...
All I can read in that criticism of Other M is a lot of entitlement.

The real problem was the gameplay. **** sucked.

I thought it was pretty good. The combat actually worked, although the dodge was a bit OP. Other than that, it was pretty fun. My biggest problem wad the lack of health pick ups. The whole "recharge life and missiles thing" was too weird. Other than that, I enjoyed the gameplay.

And how was I entitled? Entitled would be if I bashed it because "they didn't give us the right Samus, they ruined the personality we created for her".

I love Samus, but before Other M her personality was as thin as cardboard. The problem people had wasn't that they ruined her, they were just upset that the reality of Samus didn't match up with the one they created for her.
---
[INSERT SIGNATURE HERE]