Forbes magazine proves to be better than gaming journalism when talking games.

#81Mr_FeeshPosted 1/23/2013 12:45:00 AM
Asherned posted...
Enough about Other M. This is a DmC board, so let's get back to DmC.

That said, Erik Kain is a hack and shouldn't even be writing about video games. He writes for Forbes, for God's sake. Let's see some financial articles instead.

That means his paycheck doesn't depend on video game ads or early review copies of upcoming games. That means he doesn't have to brown-nose like almost literally every other video game journalist. That means he is one of the only credible voices in video game journalism.
#82TheKingOf-KingsPosted 1/23/2013 1:33:07 AM
This Asherned person bashes Other M , pretty severely, and also bashes people for bashing the ME3 ending and bashes Erik Kain for reasons that are still unclear to me.

A whole lot of dumb opinion. No one cares. But I hope you realised how much of a hypocrite you are.
---
I AM CHAMPION CHRISTMAS!
#83_Uwye_Posted 1/23/2013 1:53:42 AM
CKnight posted...
I disagree with the notion that a bad entry casts a bleak shadow over all previous installments.

Then you are wrong. It's a subjective thing and it doesn't always apply to every bad entry but it does happen. It happened to me with Star Wars, for example. It doesn't matter how much I try to disregard the prequel trilogy, every time I watch the old movies the notion that the badass Darth Vader was canonically a whiny idiot that was tricked like the dumbass that he was sours the character for me.

I do agree that it doesn't really apply to DmC, though. The game is a reboot, not a sequel.
#84StopTheTediousPosted 1/23/2013 2:40:39 AM
US gamers are being milked like crazy, deal with it.
#85nonexistingheroPosted 1/23/2013 3:08:08 AM
And then Forbes has a stupid article about Sony buying Microsoft's gaming division -__-
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#86john_freeman69(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2013 7:00:26 AM
CKnight posted...
I disagree with the notion that a bad entry casts a bleak shadow over all previous installments.

For many it does. Maybe not you, but I know myself I cannot play Dragon Age Origins anymore due to DA2. It may not apply to you, but if you can see why it would affect others, you can see the point he is trying to make.

Desulated posted...
Gaming journalism is more or less a joke nowadays as you're basically paid to express an opinion that appeases your employer. Basically, if your employer happens to take bribes, you just have to make up crap about how the game is good and vice-versa.

For those who want an example of an honest journalist receiving the pink slip, the incident where a Gamespot reviewer got fired for giving Kane and Lynch game a low score should fulfill it.

Its not really bribes. Its losing money from ad space, loosing potential readers when the game devs with-holds a review copy, and risking your job when you do all these things, all because you wanted to write an honest review.

Asherned posted...

That said, Erik Kain is a hack and shouldn't even be writing about video games. He writes for Forbes, for God's sake. Let's see some financial articles instead.

0/10
#87CKnightPosted 1/23/2013 8:20:44 AM
I see that people get hung up on things much easier than me. Where I can look past a bad entry and still enjoy previous or future instalments, others have their world turned upside down.
#88portuguese100Posted 1/23/2013 8:57:00 AM
DuuuDe14 posted...
Detha posted...
The only game I'd call art is Metal Gear Solid 4, for its specific kind of cutscene interaction, for its pointless weather information, and for the iPod and all that it brought.

And Okami. Didnt even play it. Love it anyway <3

I like you!
#89Mr_FeeshPosted 1/23/2013 10:16:39 AM
john_freeman69 posted...

Its not really bribes. Its losing money from ad space, loosing potential readers when the game devs with-holds a review copy, and risking your job when you do all these things, all because you wanted to write an honest review.

^^^
#90john_freeman69(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2013 2:25:49 PM
CKnight posted...
I see that people get hung up on things much easier than me. Where I can look past a bad entry and still enjoy previous or future instalments, others have their world turned upside down.

It kinda leaves a bad taste in my mouth when I watch the old star wars movies. It does that to many people, particularly the fans who have a passion for the source material.