So Hypothetically...(DMC1&3 Spoilers)

#11Ether101Posted 1/24/2013 12:04:11 AM
StrykeBlayde posted...
Dante's power increases from 3 -> 1 -> 4 -> 2, correct?

At the beginning of DMC3, Vergil is simply stronger than Dante, due to Dante not even having Devil Trigger yet. The second battle, after Dante gets Nevan and Quicksilver(Vegil only gets Beowulf), they stalemate. Their third battle, Dante wins. Soon after, Vergil is beaten by Mundus and enslaved.

Here's what I'm wondering. The shift from 3 to 1 is an undetermined amount of time, from what I understand. While Dante could have only gotten stronger, he could have also never really been challenged. The later would mean he would essentially remain as strong as he was at the end of 3, or perhaps even grown a little weaker.

DMC1 takes place 9 years after DMC3. There's no reason to think that Dante got weaker or stayed at the same level he was at the end of DMC3.

So in DMC1, Nelo Angelo soundly defeated Dante, and would have killed him if not for the amulet jogging his memories. Their second match has Dante winning, with their third having Dante winning yet again, even though Vergil powered up.

At the end of DMC3, Dante soundly defeated Vergil, yet Nelo Angelo soundly beat Dante in DMC1. Would this be Dante not being challenged enough and staying at end-of-3's power(or being even weaker), or Mundus(while having complete control over Vergil) giving Nelo Angelo a large amount of power to defeat Dante? Maybe once the amulet jogged his memories, Mundus didn't trust Nelo Angelo as much and took some of the power away(hence the second match having him beat).

Or rather, let's return to DMC3. Vergil spends a good chunk of the game not even fighting(we can assume he starts fighting after Ch.13), only really fighting Dante and 'fighting' Beowulf, while Dante was constantly getting stronger and stronger. Even so, he stalemates with Dante during their second fight, only to be beaten on their third. Is it safe to assume that Vergil has always been the stronger sibling, and would have remained so had he fought as much as Dante?

You have no clue as to what you're talking about. Vergil spent the entire game fighting and protecting Arkham form the demons that were roaming the halls of Temen-ni-gru.
---
Gamers have lost their pride.
Complacency can be a sin.
#12dillpickle69Posted 1/24/2013 12:05:31 AM
StrykeBlayde posted...
The shift from 3 to 1 is an undetermined amount of time, from what I understand. While Dante could have only gotten stronger, he could have also never really been challenged. The later would mean he would essentially remain as strong as he was at the end of 3, or perhaps even grown a little weaker.

9 years pass from 3 to 1, Dante is 19 is 3 and 28 in 1. And he's been a demon hunter in all that time, so his missions undoubtedly made him stronger.

So in DMC1, Nelo Angelo soundly defeated Dante, and would have killed him if not for the amulet jogging his memories. Their second match has Dante winning, with their third having Dante winning yet again, even though Vergil powered up.

There's two different ways I can explain this. My first explanation, is that Nelo Angelo is Vergil's Majin form (It's like their Devil Trigger's Devil Trigger, Dante has one in DMC2) and Mundus simply has him in it for his permanent state, which explains why he overpowered Dante before he started taking him seriously. My other explanation, which I'm starting to lean towards, is that Mundus literally just gave him power, not speed or strategy, which makes sense when you look at the fact that although they're twins and should have the same features, Nelo Angelo is a lot bigger than Dante, and a lot slower, which is why Dante realizes that he can just beat him with his speed.
---
I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum.
http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net/photo/5062421_700b.jpg
#13trueOgre_KillerPosted 1/24/2013 12:09:57 AM
StrykeBlayde posted...
trueOgre_Killer posted...
TC, it's kind of hard to compare them that way. Nelo Angelo was a a demon/demonic shell that contained Vergil's soul. He wasn't Vergil literally.

Looks like mind-controlled Vergil wearing Mundus' chosen armor and using Mundus' chosen sword. If it wasn't Vergil's literal body, he probably wouldn't have had his amulet.

Nope, Vergil is dead. Quotes from History of DMC:

"At the root of Nelo Angelo's chivalry lies his original for within the demon's body rests the soul of Vergil, Dante's vanquished brother."

"It was there that he met a demon named Nelo Angelo, the transformed soul of his departed brother Vergil."

Nelo Angelo is a demon with Vergil's soul at the core, hence Vergil himself being referred to as "departed" and "vanquished."
---
Supernova is not an illusion.
#14SasukefirePosted 1/24/2013 12:15:13 AM
Dante's been getting stronger as time passes.
---
Hell is exactly where your mother belongs. You'll follow her there soon enough.
#15Green_PuffPosted 1/24/2013 12:21:32 AM(edited)
I hate to sound cliche, TC(because what you said sounds like grade A writing, and here it comes).

Maybe it was the writing staffs fault for not being clear on that subject(or for clearing it up after the years that followed >.>).

Vergil never slacked off since the day he saw his mother die, so there's that.

Dante, had 9 years after the events of Temen-ni-gru to train. Did he fight demons every day from that day forward? Who knows.

Did he get stronger or slacked off because he couldn't find a worthy opponent to keep up his rough training? Up for debate.

What you said about Nelo Angelo, for example, GRADE A+ WRITING! I see no reason for Mundus to keep supplying Vergil MORE POWER if he has a CONSCIENCE and might actually become a bigger threat than Dante if he eventually might turn on him or team up with Dante. So he probably DID, make him weaker the fights that followed. After all, why should a minion matter to Mundus? If they succeed in the job, good. If they fail and die in battle, at least Mundus gets the feedback that the enemy is worthy and dangerous to his upbringing.

Long story short, lazy writing made for a confusing plot.
---
You will not forget this devils power!
#16pyro_buntaPosted 1/24/2013 12:36:11 AM
It's because he wasn't motivated enough.
---
...for Tony Redgrave...
#17Green_PuffPosted 1/24/2013 12:45:21 AM
It's because he wasn't motivated enough.

That too...

XD
---
You will not forget this devils power!
#18fallenangel2100Posted 1/24/2013 1:42:11 AM
actually I might have a sound theory whats vergils nelo costume called?

"corrupted vergil"
after his fight with dante resulting in a loss and being weakend from his injuries vergil attempted to fight mundus who was clearly at full strength and obviously lost

As a form of poetic justice on mundus part just as sparda imprisoned him mundus imprisoned vergil in the nelo angelo armor broke him and took control of his mind. Yamato being a weapon bound to vergils very soul also was warped by the power of mundus control and corruption and turned into the angelo blade losing MUCH of its former power since nelo couldnt use the dimension slash or judgement cuts. Mundus probly sencing that his servant was somehow weaker granted him pure power resulting in nelo having more brute strength

9 years pass and vergils body inside the armor has long since corroded away from mundus power over him leaving nothing but the broken soul and amulet inside. Nelo sees dantes amulet in their first fight and the soul is riled up remembering his brother and steadily begins to fight the control until finally in the 3rd fight vergil breaks free morphing the helmet to look like his true self and even regained his summoned swords and some DT but still he loses and the armor is destroyed freeing vergils soul and breaking yamato the explosion probly flings yamatos peices somwhere near fortuna explaining why they have it in dmc4

Vergils freed and wayward soul eventually merged with an unborn child thus resulting in nero having the blood of sparda and the power to repair yamato and use some of its power and vergils presence even spoke to nero saying "power...give me more power" before attaining his devil trigger and becoming the avatar we see when nero attacks in DT