Why does everyone act like Devil May Cry 4 was horribly received?

#1mahroflcopterPosted 1/25/2013 10:07:18 AM
Why? I'm hearing this all over the place with people saying "Well, after how bad Devil May Cry 4 was received, they had to reboot" and/or they lump Devil May Cry 4 with Devil May Cry 2. Seriously?

Metacritic:

PS3 = 84/100 (critics);

360 = 84/100 (critics)

Gamespot user reviews:

PS3 = 8.7/10

360 = 8.5/10

PC = 8.8/10

Gamefaqs:

PS3 = 8.1/10

360 = 8.0/10

PC = 8.5/10

Amazon:

PS3 = 86.53% or 4.2/5 stars

360 = 84.84% or 4.2/5 stars

So where did this notion that Devil May Cry 4 was a black sheep in the DMC franchise come from? I know, I know "Reviews don't tell you anything." But I just don't see how nothing under an 8.0 for fan feedback overall and the lowest score being a 78/100 for a PC port for critics equates to "It reviewed horribly and fans hated it which is why it needed a reboot".
---
Currently going "squa squa squa!"
To the Devil May Cry franchise: http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ls0e5g1oWn1qjkv09o1_500.gif... at least for now.
#2hoagie727Posted 1/25/2013 10:11:09 AM
Nero instead of Dante

Massive backtracking and same bosses over and over

Timer on BP

I wouldn't say it was horribly received but in my opinion a step down from DMC 3.

The only thing that saved it for me was style switching with Dante made for the deepest Dante yet.
#3GuyverAssasinPosted 1/25/2013 10:11:34 AM
Dunno wth you talking about. The black sheep is DMC2. DMC4 sold the most copies in the series. Despite that, capcom still decided the series needed a reboot so they could sell even more. Greediness at its finest.
---
"This is not an FPS, please don't teabag my dead corpse after you win, Thank you"-MvC3 random after getting scraped by me.
#4mahroflcopter(Topic Creator)Posted 1/25/2013 10:13:49 AM
GuyverAssasin posted...
Dunno wth you talking about. The black sheep is DMC2. DMC4 sold the most copies in the series. Despite that, capcom still decided the series needed a reboot so they could sell even more. Greediness at its finest.

I just got out of the fourth DmC thread in a row from other sites where it just seemed to be accepted as common knowledge that DMC 4 was bad and that fans didn't like it at all. That's why I'm asking this question.
---
Currently going "squa squa squa!"
To the Devil May Cry franchise: http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ls0e5g1oWn1qjkv09o1_500.gif... at least for now.
#5RayconPosted 1/25/2013 10:18:18 AM
mahroflcopter posted...
GuyverAssasin posted...

I just got out of the fourth DmC thread in a row from other sites where it just seemed to be accepted as common knowledge that DMC 4 was bad and that fans didn't like it at all. That's why I'm asking this question.

Well, as someone who just finished it recently, it was pretty lazy in parts. Especially bosses and the second half of the game. I don't know how reviewers were able to overlook that...
---
"Clue in, girl! Get in that trap room and grab that battery while I, a bad-ass convict, play this beautiful piano melody."-MorphineChild on REŘ
#6xOmniCloudxPosted 1/25/2013 10:21:15 AM
Raycon posted...
mahroflcopter posted...
GuyverAssasin posted...

Well, as someone who just finished it recently, it was pretty lazy in parts. Especially bosses and the second half of the game. I don't know how reviewers were able to overlook that...

The same reasons they overlooked the legit negative parts of DmC and various other games. They don't know how they're supposed to play and be designed.
---
This is GameFAQs. People here take great pride in ignoring common sense.
#7Eric_Draven3Posted 1/25/2013 10:24:26 AM
DMC4 wasn't horrible, but it could've been much better.

Nero
Dante only having like 8 missions and 6 weapons
The backtracking
Fighting half of the bosses twice.
Nero
Stupid puzzle game...twice.

Those points kinda held it back, but it wasn't a bad game. I have no regrets buying or playing it. Dante was so fun in it because of the style switching.
---
Currently playing - SSFIV(main Gouki), B:AA, Dmc3
PSN - Deadpool__Merc
#8OhGoodPosted 1/25/2013 10:27:08 AM
I'm a fan of the series and I enjoyed DMC4 quite a bit. I didn't even mind playing as Nero, his grapples added a new mechanic to the game.
---
Everything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
PSN - Ohgood
#9xOmniCloudxPosted 1/25/2013 10:27:28 AM
DMC4 wasn't a complete game due to all the new tech and time constraints but it was still a good game. I could only imagine a fully completed DMC4.
---
This is GameFAQs. People here take great pride in ignoring common sense.
#10Darth_ElusivePosted 1/25/2013 10:44:09 AM
mahroflcopter posted...
Why? I'm hearing this all over the place with people saying "Well, after how bad Devil May Cry 4 was received, they had to reboot" and/or they lump Devil May Cry 4 with Devil May Cry 2. Seriously?

Yeah, fanboys like to talk about how DmC bombed, they used DMC4 sales number and compare it with DmC sales number and say look, DmC did really horribly, it sold just about half of DMC4 which itself is a bad game.

But then no one is mentioning DMC4 was doing 25% better than DMC3 which the same fanboys often regard as the greatest in the series. And no one is saying something like "DmC did bad in the first week but still managed to sell about two third of what the great DMC3 had sold in the first week."

My point is, the fanboys always selectively use information to bash the game they dislike.
---
Look at my XBOX720 ===> i7 2600 @3.4Ghz | ATI 6850 1GB | 8GB DDR3 | Asus P8P67 LE
Now playing: Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Dead or Alive 5