I don't understand why people assume DmC selling poorly gets you DMC5...

#1lowhighkangPosted 1/25/2013 10:23:53 PM
First off, It doesn't really matter to me how much this game sells. I've always figured it will do however much it's going to do. I don't have stock in Capcom.

But - what always got to me is how those protesting this game, are spending so much time and energy trying convince others not to purchase it, in hopes that it will sell so poorly that Capcom will have no choice but to do a DMC5.

But that's where the red flag comes in. Generally, from a business perspective, when one has to decide to invest roughly 40 million dollars on a sequel, you look at how well the previous entry in said franchise does. If that entry sold poorly, you're not going to want to invest in a sequel. Right? Isn't that common sense. When a game sells bad, the first thing that doesn't come to mind is "let's make another one!!"

And, to those 70 year old Japanese business guys sitting at the top floor at Capcom's offices who sign off on the big checks for game production - as far as they are concerned, DmC -is- a part of the Devil May Cry franchise. And DmC grossly underperforming is only going to reflect poorly on the franchise as a whole. That it no longer as purchasing power in the general market.

You see, this is Capcom. The same guys who canned the Dino Crisis, Onimusha, and MegaMan franchises. Dino Crisis 1 and 2 were great and sold great. Dino Crisis 3 sucked. And instead of Capcom looking at exactly why it sold poorly, they just assumed, "the new generation of gamers didn't like dinosaurs anymore." Or Onimusha, the sales of each Onimusha constantly dropped, but that was because of odd-ball storylines and samey gameplay. But Capcom probably assumed, "the new generation of gamers didn't care for Japan based stories."

I'm not saying support the game, no. But the best thing to happen to the Devil May Cry franchise is for DmC to sell at least decent. I can see not wanting it to sell more than DMC4, but it was never going to do that anyway. DMC4 was Capcom's first big, next gen game. It had a lot of hype and was following the excellent DMC3. DmC is following up on the disappointing DMC4, it's coming out at the end of the console generation, and it's got controversy.

I guess the implication here is, it's better to put your efforts on getting people to buy DMC HD Collection, or DMC4 - as opposed to wasting so much time on convincing people not to buy DmC. You also run the risk of extra exposure by hating on it so much. Already IGN and Gamespot has run numerous articles defending and praising the game, basically diminishing your efforts by painting all the haters as "white hair obsessed fangirls."

Full Disclosure: I played and enjoyed this game. This isn't the necessarily the DMC game I wanted, but I still liked it as an action game. DMC1 to be honest is my favorite DMC game, so I've kind of given up on Capcom for making anything better than that since it's been 12 years already.

I'm looking for a thoughtful, and honest discussion on this matter. I've been part of the DMC gamefaqs community for almost 12 years, going back to the DMC1 days. I've always considered this to be a community of thoughtful, hardcore gamers. Let's keep it that way. I don't have any agendas, I don't consider myself a "PRO" or an "ANTI."
---
LHK
#2Vault_ZeroPosted 1/25/2013 10:25:22 PM
lowhighkang posted...
First off, It doesn't really matter to me how much this game sells. I've always figured it will do however much it's going to do. I don't have stock in Capcom.

But - what always got to me is how those protesting this game, are spending so much time and energy trying convince others not to purchase it, in hopes that it will sell so poorly that Capcom will have no choice but to do a DMC5.

But that's where the red flag comes in. Generally, from a business perspective, when one has to decide to invest roughly 40 million dollars on a sequel, you look at how well the previous entry in said franchise does. If that entry sold poorly, you're not going to want to invest in a sequel. Right? Isn't that common sense. When a game sells bad, the first thing that doesn't come to mind is "let's make another one!!"

And, to those 70 year old Japanese business guys sitting at the top floor at Capcom's offices who sign off on the big checks for game production - as far as they are concerned, DmC -is- a part of the Devil May Cry franchise. And DmC grossly underperforming is only going to reflect poorly on the franchise as a whole. That it no longer as purchasing power in the general market.

You see, this is Capcom. The same guys who canned the Dino Crisis, Onimusha, and MegaMan franchises. Dino Crisis 1 and 2 were great and sold great. Dino Crisis 3 sucked. And instead of Capcom looking at exactly why it sold poorly, they just assumed, "the new generation of gamers didn't like dinosaurs anymore." Or Onimusha, the sales of each Onimusha constantly dropped, but that was because of odd-ball storylines and samey gameplay. But Capcom probably assumed, "the new generation of gamers didn't care for Japan based stories."

I'm not saying support the game, no. But the best thing to happen to the Devil May Cry franchise is for DmC to sell at least decent. I can see not wanting it to sell more than DMC4, but it was never going to do that anyway. DMC4 was Capcom's first big, next gen game. It had a lot of hype and was following the excellent DMC3. DmC is following up on the disappointing DMC4, it's coming out at the end of the console generation, and it's got controversy.

I guess the implication here is, it's better to put your efforts on getting people to buy DMC HD Collection, or DMC4 - as opposed to wasting so much time on convincing people not to buy DmC. You also run the risk of extra exposure by hating on it so much. Already IGN and Gamespot has run numerous articles defending and praising the game, basically diminishing your efforts by painting all the haters as "white hair obsessed fangirls."

Full Disclosure: I played and enjoyed this game. This isn't the necessarily the DMC game I wanted, but I still liked it as an action game. DMC1 to be honest is my favorite DMC game, so I've kind of given up on Capcom for making anything better than that since it's been 12 years already.

I'm looking for a thoughtful, and honest discussion on this matter. I've been part of the DMC gamefaqs community for almost 12 years, going back to the DMC1 days. I've always considered this to be a community of thoughtful, hardcore gamers. Let's keep it that way. I don't have any agendas, I don't consider myself a "PRO" or an "ANTI."

We don't assume. We know the series is ruined under Capcom or any other Western developer. It's pretty much dead and buried at this point.
---
It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here!
#3SilentS89Posted 1/25/2013 10:27:09 PM
Capcom doesn't deal in logic.

They respond to DMC4 selling better than its predecessors by rebooting the franchise.

Game successful = respond as if game is a flop

We just do stuff and hope for the best.
#4sjwho2Posted 1/25/2013 10:27:44 PM
Megaman, Resident Evil(Racoon city AND 6).

Both enough evidence for trend. Deal with it.
#5Vault_ZeroPosted 1/25/2013 10:30:13 PM
sjwho2 posted...
Megaman, Resident Evil(Racoon city AND 6).

Both enough evidence for trend. Deal with it.

?
---
It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here!
#6KA_ME_HA_ME_HAPosted 1/25/2013 10:30:41 PM
Well, Capcom said there'd be more DMC by 2015, but not which one.

If DmC sells well, logically they'd make DmC2.

If it does poorly (which so far, it is), they'd probably go back to the original series.

Capcom has tried very hard to market this as completely separate from the old DMC series. They might not can the whole series, they might just put one away for a while. If Capcom sees that DmC is less successful than DMC, and with all the people complaining that this isn't the DMC they wanted, Capcom might see some potential profit in a DMC5.
---
[INSERT SIGNATURE HERE]
#7dohdoughPosted 1/25/2013 10:32:55 PM
I've been around for as long as you have and Gamefaqs has always been like this. Don't you remember the stupidity about Future Dante/Sparda even when the names were translated from the artbook or the mess about the Onimusha 3 trailer at the end of Onimusha 2? ;)
#8GoombaXPosted 1/25/2013 10:33:44 PM
KA_ME_HA_ME_HA posted...
Well, Capcom said there'd be more DMC by 2015, but not which one.

If DmC sells well, logically they'd make DmC2.

If it does poorly (which so far, it is), they'd probably go back to the original series.

Capcom has tried very hard to market this as completely separate from the old DMC series. They might not can the whole series, they might just put one away for a while. If Capcom sees that DmC is less successful than DMC, and with all the people complaining that this isn't the DMC they wanted, Capcom might see some potential profit in a DMC5.

i see people saying its selling poorly but its topping sales charts.
---
Pro tip : Thats not how I would do it
#9omerta07Posted 1/25/2013 10:34:00 PM
lowhighkang posted...

this is a great post brother and i agree 100 percent
#10fifinamboPosted 1/25/2013 10:34:00 PM
First of all, didn't HD Collection sell pretty well recently?

Second of all, there's a myriad of reasons why I refuse to support this game. I won't support a company that kicks the people who made their games sell successfully in the first place. I also hate the actual game for its s*** gameplay story and characters.

Third, I hope for DMC5 because I feel dissenting opinion has been loud and obvious enough for Capcom to know without a shadow of a doubt that they are the ones who royally f***** up in the first place. If they don't get that...if they don't understand what went wrong here then they deserve to fail. I would rather not see anymore DMC games if this is how they choose to act professionally.
---
Yes I think we`ve got a problem. So much for the afterglow.