I don't understand why people assume DmC selling poorly gets you DMC5...

#31SilentS89Posted 1/25/2013 10:00:44 PM
It just seems silly to go some convoluted route of not voicing our displeasure with DmC because of how we anticipate Capcom might react.
#32GoreGrossPosted 1/25/2013 10:03:18 PM
The HD Collection has had healthy sales figures, with a considerable spike (at least according to Amazon) as the release window to this game shortened. So for a bundle of games now about 7, 9, and 11 years old, the collection has been profitable for Capcom - I can't imagine it was at great expense to them to put together and upscale.
The anti-logic is simple. DMC is the beloved original series. DmC is the highly-experimental and amateur reboot by another developer. DMC1, DMC3, DMC4, and even DMC2 have enjoyed some great returns for Capcom - if DmC does not bring the money in, then, it will presumably be considered unprofitable and therefore discontinued. No, maybe the "Japanese fat cats" who write Capcom's checks for games wouldn't know or care much for the difference between the two, but we have the Internet. Interest in either DMC or DmC can be gauged through petitions, questionnaires, etc.

Hahaha at this terrible logic.

FFXIII is the worst game ever according to the "internet". It sold 7 million copies.

How's that logic terrible? The Internet is great for gauging interest. That's why things Kickstarter exist and have propelled games into fame, recognition and most importantly and to the point, existence. All because of the Internet. Capcom polled Okami, and Nights for digital download. Internet interest was high. Digital download figures were high. I can't quite see why my logic is horrible.

Also consider the fact that Final Fantasy XIII is a lot like DmC. I love Final Fantasy. I've hated everything to come after XIII. Still, I bought the game on day 1. How could I have known I'd be disappointed, having been such a huge fan before - it was the debut of one of my favorite franchises on a new console - how could I not have purchased it? I'm not the only one who was on that boat, by far.
---
Currently Playing: Far Cry 3, Darksiders 2, and Vanquish. Anticipating: MGR:R, Bioshock Infinite, Pokemon X and KHHD.
#33embittererPosted 1/25/2013 10:04:00 PM
Chances are, if they are planning on making another DMC, it's probably already in the planning process. Sales, unless abysmal won't reflect too much on their decision. Considering DmC is still in the top 100 on amazon, I wouldn't call their sales abysmal at all. They likely haven't met their goal, but with the critic reception being so positive I wouldn't say that they're viewing DmC as a failure, but at the same time it isn't likely to sway the decision either way.
---
Martyrdom is the only way in which a man can become famous without ability.
#34GoreGrossPosted 1/25/2013 10:05:14 PM
GoreGross posted...
"Japanese fat cats"

I like to think they have at least some sort of sales analysis division and don't leave absolutely everything to the whim of the wealthy old dudes.

Either way, we have made our position as clear as we possibly can. It isn't our fault if Capcom is too out of touch to understand.

That's why I said interest can be gauged as a precaution.
---
Currently Playing: Far Cry 3, Darksiders 2, and Vanquish. Anticipating: MGR:R, Bioshock Infinite, Pokemon X and KHHD.
#35chaotix247Posted 1/25/2013 10:15:54 PM
Full Disclosure: I played and enjoyed this game. This isn't the necessarily the DMC game I wanted, but I still liked it as an action game. DMC1 to be honest is my favorite DMC game, so I've kind of given up on Capcom for making anything better than that since it's been 12 years already.

I'm surprised you say that LHK you've been around DMC boards for ever. This series is my #1 favorite video game series tied with possibly Kingdom Hearts and what always makes me come back is the depth each game offered. While this game is definitely playable, an interesting redesign on Dante, and a genuinely fine action game, it lacks depth. Every weapon has only 7 possible different things to do with them. 7. And they're all done the same way. Why would we support a game like that when the last two predecessors had roughly twice as much for every weapon (or if the same amount done by different hard to pull off techniques). We all know if this game fails DMC done and I feel that it should just die. Capcom is not full of intelligent, *cough*peoplelackingcommonsense*cough*, and have no clue about what in the hell they are doing anymore. Any business man would know that if they received the negative backlash that this game has received from day one they would know "Okay this idea is obviously a piece of **** and fans are going out of their way to let us know and I appreciate that and hope to do something better." That's what any business would do. But Capcom? NOOOOO. There is no way for us to somehow tell people to increase sales in DMCHD/4 because I feel like newcomers would just right it off as stale old material.

So to summarize. I'd rather let this die and hopefully make Capcom hurt in their wallet (Yeah, "in a million years"). It was practically set in stone since day 1's announcement. It is going to happen and no matter what we do (besides murdering the head honchos there) we cannot do anything about it. I feel like I have something really more important to say but I just came back from a fantastic hockey game and can't think to straight.
---
I am so DAMN pissed at Capcom yet I shell out money like an idiot anyway.
Currently Playing - RE6, Black Ops 2, RE4, DMCHD, RECVX
#36ShengaliPosted 1/25/2013 10:21:35 PM
Isn't this posted almost all over the other threads by now?

1) Capcom loves money.
* Debate it all you want, or not, but they do. Could have been a journalist quoting something wrong, but Capcom wanted 5 mil. in sales for this game. Maybe that's not true, but they weren't satisfied with DMC4 selling 2.7mil - which was not only the highest selling DMC, but also the best selling HnS aside from GoW. Still, Capcom wants CoD sales. They at least want GoW sales. When the reboot was announced, more accessible for more sales was the main point/reason/goal.

2) Capcom talks $hit.
* By Capcom's own admission, this isn't a normal reboot. They wanted to challenge themselves and go against the norm. Usually, reboots are done when sales are poor, no one is interested anymore, unsalvagable, etc (ala Batman & Robin). Capcom said they wanted to try something new and reboot a franchise while it is successful. That's the key word, they recognize the old series was making money, but for whatever reason they wanted to try a reboot. Different interview says they wanted to see something new & an outside eye is the best way. NT chosen for their story telling.

3) Capcom wants more.
* Capcom wants more Devil May Cry ready to go in 2015, along with another Resident Evil. Which DMC? Who knows? Capcom DID say though that the direction of the franchise would depend upon the sales of DmC.

4) Capcom LOVES money.
* I've played DmC, and I actually enjoyed it. I will eventually own it, but I have my reasons for not supporting Capcom. I'm actually genuinely happy to see that DmC is topping charts, and it's awesome that it is. I'm especially jealous of PC owners for being able to get what I consider to be the definite superior version. Capcom will look at that, and be happy. However, they freakin' love money. While DmC is topping the charts it still isn't pulling in the kind of money a normal chart topper would. Arguments can occur over various reasons why, but these are bad numbers for a game. US pending, this could be bad news, chart topper or no, especially since it will most likely be compared to the game directly preceeding it (DMC4) - which journalists are already doing for them, by bringing it out into the public eye.

5) Fans love Dante.
* New Dante is obviously the star of the title, but his only other game is PSABR. However, that game is an obvious grab at attention for its upcoming titles - hence Raiden instead of Snake for MGS. Classic Dante, on the other hand, was a fan favorite in MvC3 and the reaction was great enough that they added in Trish and Vergil for UMvC3. Classic Dante is also featured with Lady in the upcoming PxZ, which could also be an attempt at once again gauging interest, in the aftermath of fan backlash for DmC.

(To be continued)
#37ShengaliPosted 1/25/2013 10:21:41 PM
All these points together can easily lead someone to believe that if DmC fails, then Capcom would go back to the version that was selling: DMC. They could still meet that 2015 deadline. They could even be banking on the Old Coke/New Coke effect, as I think it's probable that a DMC5 announcements would send fans into hysterics at the thought of being able to play as their beloved Dante - making it the best selling game in the franchise. Capcom loves money, and their other series haven't been doing as well as they'd wish it to be. With "No such thing as bad advertising" and their words of "If we wanted DMC5 we'd make it ourselves" again, it's easy to see why they'd try to capitalize on this whole fiasco and get some easy money from a DMC5.

HOWEVER this IS Capcom we're talking about, and logic doesn't seem to suit them these days. There is a chance, also easy to see, that Capcom would simply decide that it isn't worth the risk of a future failure and scrap the whole series. This doesn't bother the Antis, and you Pros have to accept it. It isn't because "I'm glad, put NT out of business" or "I'm not buying this cr@p" or even "F@%K CAPCOM!!" - it's because for whatever reason or another they don't like it and they're not going to buy it. Put all those reasons and retorts and obvious flame bait aside, and they still wouldn't be buying the game - leaving it on it's own wings. Which is exactly what is going on now. They aren't responsible for not buying, or if that was how the world works then everyone simply MUST buy my new CD for the low, low price of $20. It IS possible that we really are the minority here on this site, and people outside of our little world have their own reasons for not buying it. Could be the tone, could be the rating or what can appear to be the target audience. It could be because it's a niche title, with a niche rating, in an already small niche group. But I digress, and that's a topic for another time...

3rd option, the edge of the coin: Capcom try their hand at another reboot, for the reasons they've given before. It IS possible, only because it would be the most ridiculous thing Capcom could easily do. Again though, I think the risk of future failure and another three years like the last three... Well, I just don't think even they'd be this silly.

So THERE^ is your answer TC :)
#38HellsControllerPosted 1/25/2013 10:25:46 PM
embitterer posted...
Chances are, if they are planning on making another DMC, it's probably already in the planning process. Sales, unless abysmal won't reflect too much on their decision. Considering DmC is still in the top 100 on amazon, I wouldn't call their sales abysmal at all. They likely haven't met their goal, but with the critic reception being so positive I wouldn't say that they're viewing DmC as a failure, but at the same time it isn't likely to sway the decision either way.

>claims that DmC is still in Top 100
>DMC HD is # 88
>DmC no where in sight

This is what pros actually believe.
---
"The great thing about the internet is you can make up a quote and claim somebody famous said it." ---George Washington.
#39Steve_TeddiePosted 1/25/2013 10:26:35 PM
@ GoreGross
I'm an avid gamer but I can't name a single kickstarter game.

And yes, your logic is as plausible and rational as all the other little ones, kicking and screaming on the internet.

Because 7 million people bought XIII week one. Right.

And Okami HD sales were high. Says who? You?

Keep up with your foolproof "internet" logic!
---
http://i.imgur.com/J7RZm.gif http://i.minus.com/jdhz8Qk44JjS5.jpg http://i.minus.com/ibvmrm7irgmmJM.gif
#40rice_noodlesPosted 1/25/2013 10:28:32 PM
http://i.imgur.com/GSoZyyB.png