Anyone else find the art style atrocious?

#1Robot_SoopaPosted 1/27/2013 12:00:44 AM
I see a lot of people loving the art style and praising it as one of the things the game does right but I dunno I just am not feeling it at all. Feels very drab and over saturated. Like they threw a "modern" filter from Call of Duty on and then cranked the saturation up to compensate or they took a sponge and washed it down before submitting the final product.

I actually enjoyed the combat but the washed out feeling of the visuals really bothered me. I went out and bought the DMC HD Collection because I had never played the games before and there's a huge difference. The DMC games are very dark but they still feel vibrant and clean. They don't feel like you scrubbed them with a sponge.

They keep showing off the carnival level and I can't understand why because it looks really gross and whatever red filter they piled on there is turned up way too high.

Just taking a look at the two Dante's side-by-side shows the difference quite clear. Washed-Out is really the best words I can come up with to describe the difference. Anybody else feel the same way? Thoughts? Opinions?
#2sjwho2Posted 1/27/2013 12:02:13 AM
It really is just a subpar/ripoff of Darksiders II "corruption"

I wouldn't call it an "artstyle" as the game generally isn't pretty to look at.
#3rice_noodlesPosted 1/27/2013 12:03:04 AM
Everything is blue and orange.
#4Pesmerga255Posted 1/27/2013 12:03:35 AM
B-but Limbo is unique and amazing!
---
I JUST KEEP BURNNING LOVE!
#5AiddonPosted 1/27/2013 12:03:43 AM
I call it "the Unreal Engine is CRAP." The only time it looks good is when the developers HEAVILY modify it, like with Borderlands
#6LordMePosted 1/27/2013 12:04:55 AM
I like the breaking city parts, mostly towards the end of the game.

But I agree, the "style" is very bland and boring as a whole. Character designs are also very bland.
#7Psychochild27Posted 1/27/2013 12:09:15 AM
Aiddon posted...
I call it "the Unreal Engine is CRAP." The only time it looks good is when the developers HEAVILY modify it, like with Borderlands

I call it the console version being crap. The PC version actually does look pretty good on Ultra.
#8LordMePosted 1/27/2013 12:10:44 AM
Psychochild27 posted...
Aiddon posted...

I call it the console version being crap. The PC version actually does look pretty good on Ultra.

Style, not detail...

Best textures in the world can't help if the STYLE is bad.
#9AiddonPosted 1/27/2013 12:12:24 AM
LordMe posted...
Psychochild27 posted...
Aiddon posted...

Style, not detail...

Best textures in the world can't help if the STYLE is bad.

Indeed, I could give a crap less if you can see someone's pores. The art style just reminds me of why I prefer stylized visuals. The DMC series always had really creative monster and area design; this is just phoned in
#10syctheweilderPosted 1/27/2013 12:17:15 AM
I don't really "get" what people mean by art style in this context.

I mean, when I think art style, i think how things are rendered in a distinctive, stylistic way and such. Like Kazuma Kaneko's expertly blended de-saturated palettes, subtle angularity and ever-so-slightly unsettling porcelain doll faces. Here, I just...see them trying to make things look realistic. I mean is there a 'style' when you aim for real life?