Friend is nice enough to let me use his steam account to play this game.

#1LoshadtPosted 1/27/2013 12:18:50 PM(edited)
Since this is the only way I'd get to play the full game without actually paying for it myself, I was willing to give it a shot. So I figured I would also take the chance to see the game through the perspective of an adamant "hater".

So far my opinion is as follows: The environments look good. They are colorful, dynamic, and offer a pleasing change of pace from the dark and gothic levels of DMC 1/2/3. The enemy designs are also pretty well done. The auto lock-on so far has not been obstructive, and while it was a completely unnecessary change it's not terribly implemented.

Unfortunately, that's about where my praise ends. The game is far too easy. I'm only playing on Nephilim difficulty right now, but unless the enemies become more aggressive and get newer faster attacks the higher difficulties won't pose any challenge. I have completed both mission one and mission two without taking any damage in combat whatsoever. Combat takes almost zero effort on my part, the enemies pose no threat as they spend around 3 seconds telegraphing their attacks, on top of that dodging is effortless as it offers a generous amount of invincibility frames. Aerial combos are also absurdly overpowered, as it seems like no enemy can actually hit you up there and it's laughably easy to stay up. The controls are clunky to say the least, as you need to hold down the triggers to access your demon and angel weapons. This is only a minor complaint though as I've yet to encounter a situation where it was favorable to use either stance over simply mashing Y.

You've no doubt noticed my without taking any damage in combat whatsoever comment earlier and there's a good reason for that. I have taken damage in both missions, but rather than being from the enemies it was from the compulsory platforming sections. Platforming has no place in a hack and slash, and while it was featured in the previous games it was mercifully short.
---
Russian is my first language, so yes there may be a spelling error or two.
I <3 Jesus.
#2Loshadt(Topic Creator)Posted 1/27/2013 12:18:01 PM(edited)
Despite all this, I found myself having fun on occasion. It's always short lived however, as the game was intent on interrupting the flow with another cutscene every time the action started picking back up. On top of that, the amount of hand holding is also incredibly frustrating. Yes I know to shoot the guys out of my reach. Yes, I know to attack the glowing weak spot.

The constant cutscenes are probably the most frustrating part of this game. Some of them can;t even be skipped, and the ones I do skip just lead to another cutscene. All in all, I think around my playtime was spent not being able to control my movement.
---
I <3 Jesus.
#3Loshadt(Topic Creator)Posted 1/27/2013 12:32:25 PM(edited)
I won't get much into the writing, but to put it bluntly I spent far too much time mashing backspace only to find that I couldn't skip certain cutscenes.

tl;dr 7/10 it's okay.

Also, I'll try to play some more later tonight so I can feed you guys my opinions that you obviously care about.
---
I <3 Jesus.
#4Loshadt(Topic Creator)Posted 1/27/2013 2:30:33 PM(edited)
Alright. Part two.

The levels leading up to and including the Succubus boss fight have been more or less the same. Short, easy, and filled with passive punching-bag enemies.

But now there's a twist. I am now FORCED to use my angel/demon weapons to fight these guys because they are color-coded. This is not cool. If the only way you can get me to stop spamming Y is to make an enemy completely immune to it, then I don't consider that a plus. Now, instead of mashing I have to hold the left or right trigger while doing so.

The Succubus boss fight is even more disappointing. It consists entirely of dodging her blatantly telegraphed attacks then mashing Y. Then you perform a glorified quick time event and have the privilege of sitting around for another (albeit short) unskippable cutscene. This is then done a second time and third time to the same effect until the boss is finally dead. After that you have to jump on ONE platform and perform another series of quicktime events.

This is not fun, this is not a video game. this is an interactive movie. And not a very good one at that.

Edit: Oh, and on top of that I got an A rank instead of the usual S rank because I didn't bother looking for collectibles despite getting SS in style and SSS in time.
---
I <3 Jesus.
#5antking61Posted 1/27/2013 2:38:01 PM(edited)
INTERUPTION!!!

Edit: Aww awwwww...
---
Hoo Haa!!! I has Signature!!!
#6docman864Posted 1/27/2013 2:35:26 PM
I really want to know why some sites rate this game so high as if they've never played hack n slash all their lives. I think 7 or 8 sounds decent for this game, but a f-ing 9? You have to give a game a 9 if you are sure the game deserves it.
---
if you don't play this game, you ARE part of the f***ing problem.
#7DethaPosted 1/27/2013 2:35:41 PM
You can't get all of the collectibles in most of the stages the first time around anyway.
---
i3 2130 3.4, 8gb 1600, 460 855/2065 http://steamcommunity.com/id/dxluv
#8Loshadt(Topic Creator)Posted 1/27/2013 2:37:26 PM
You can't get all of the collectibles in most of the stages the first time around anyway.

I really only thought that was the case with the first level since there were bunch of red and blue spots. I'm not really going to try to get them though. Even the secret missions aren't very good. I don't need the extra health anyway.
---
I <3 Jesus.
#9docman864Posted 1/27/2013 2:41:35 PM
Loshadt posted...

I really only thought that was the case with the first level since there were bunch of red and blue spots. I'm not really going to try to get them though. Even the secret missions aren't very good. I don't need the extra health anyway.

so do you feel this game is kinda overrated?
---
if you don't play this game, you ARE part of the f***ing problem.
#10antking61Posted 1/27/2013 2:43:02 PM
I found myself trying to think of something else to do between each and every mission in this game. That's not a good sign.
---
Hoo Haa!!! I has Signature!!!