DmC is repugnant, misogynistic: Feminist Frequency

#211SilentS89Posted 1/28/2013 7:44:31 PM
Gfaqs is the height of socially progressive attitudes and discussing gender issues here is highly productive.
#212malicemizerfanPosted 1/28/2013 7:46:53 PM
She is still demanding change for something she just picked up. that's like me walking into a store and demanding they start stocking things to my taste, even if I'm not their target demographic. just go to a different store that stocks things you like.

If I pick up something and find out I don't like it, I stop buying it after that first one. I don't go around saying they should change their product to suit my tastes. I just go to the next store and see if they sell something closer to what I want.
---
If you can see me smiling, you've already died. If I'm laughing, you might have a chance. If I'm quiet, I'm planning on how to get back to smiling.
#213xhominidPosted 1/28/2013 7:47:01 PM
This entire topic makes me sad:

Sad at the people who are stuck within the middle, sad for the...well, I can't even say it without getting modded "feminists", and sad I lost a multitude of braincells sifting through said "feminists" garbage.

The only thing I will give feedback on is Anita herself and it's mainly a copy pasta:

"Oh Anita...when can you shut it and finish that $160,000 project before you talk about something new?

1. Awhile DmC definitely has some horrible gripes about it, there is barely any sexist tropes in there. Dante having a 3 way with 2 other women? That's not sexist and if anything, it's more against Dante than any woman in there since it stereotypes the typical "badass" male lead. Unless I'm missing something with Lilith or Kat, they didn't seem all that sexist at all(shallow and stupid? Yes)

2. The only thing I agree with is that they are juvenile...juvenile story, juvenile characters, nice plot...but if you watched They Live, there's no point.
"

In the end, my opinion will never change lest she actually gets some actual info and actually studies:
She's a hack that suckered $160K from people, have the journalistic integrity of Nixon, she never poses any solutions or look on both sides of the same coin and even the research she does do can easily be found by anyone.

I don't hate her because I hate Feminism, I don't despise her because she's a woman, I despise her because she is just plain terrible for speaking about Sexism in general.
---
When you're Minato it means putting them both doggy style, putting seals on their asses and teleport-popping them like a beast. -NaughtyGhost
#214ZeroX91Posted 1/28/2013 7:50:34 PM
"Well, some nights I wish that this all would end
'Cause I could use some friends for a change.
And some nights I'm scared you'll forget me again
Some nights I always win, I always win..."
---
Official Pyro Jack of the SMT IV board.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibyOMDcyO3U
#215rockman11_zPosted 1/28/2013 8:04:10 PM
SilentS89 posted...
Gfaqs is the height of socially progressive attitudes and discussing gender issues here is highly productive.

You tell me. And lol, a place of romance too..

So what happen to Longstorm?
---
Previous rank 5 all time in the world Capture the Leader/Guardian Gears of War 3. Official fiancee of Naoto Shirogane( it's canon too)
#216malicemizerfanPosted 1/28/2013 8:05:36 PM
dunno, hes not banned or anything according to his user page.
---
If you can see me smiling, you've already died. If I'm laughing, you might have a chance. If I'm quiet, I'm planning on how to get back to smiling.
#217Celine10Posted 1/28/2013 8:07:52 PM(edited)
xhominid posted...

In the end, my opinion will never change lest she actually gets some actual info and actually studies:
She's a hack that suckered $160K from people, have the journalistic integrity of Nixon, she never poses any solutions or look on both sides of the same coin and even the research she does do can easily be found by anyone.

I don't hate her because I hate Feminism, I don't despise her because she's a woman, I despise her because she is just plain terrible for speaking about Sexism in general.

I'm happy people are able to separate female gamers and feminism from that person, I wouldn't have anything to do with her after having seen her uninformed criticism of games she has barely played, not to mention the way she treated those who supported her Kickstarter initiative.

As a whole, I think she has done far more harm than good to anyone interested in discussing gender issues and female tropes in videogames, and I'm really sad to see many honest women and feminists support her just because they believe she's on the same team regardless of her wrongdoings.
#218Ampharos64Posted 1/28/2013 8:19:13 PM(edited)
malicemizerfan posted...
She is still demanding change for something she just picked up. that's like me walking into a store and demanding they start stocking things to my taste, even if I'm not their target demographic. just go to a different store that stocks things you like.

Not commenting on DmC specifically, but I think the issue is, if problematic portrayals of women pervade the entire culture. Not only may there not be many alternatives available, but it is that these portrayals are symptomatic of issues within society regarding women. That's why it can be useful to call attention to them, to highlight that. I've just finished looking at some 19th century novels, and reading them gives an idea what women's roles were expected to be in that society. Such expectations put pressure on women, and can be reinforced by depictions in the media. So, it isn't really just about not liking something.

The above could apply to other groups, too, not only women.

Celine10 posted...
As a whole, I think she has done far more harm than good to anyone interested in discussing gender issues and female tropes in videogames, and I'm really sad to see many honest women and feminists support her just because they believe she's on the same team regardless of her wrongdoings.

I agree, it really hasn't seemed helpful, and I think it needed to be done by someone more knowledgeable about the medium. Well, in the interests of fairness I'll reserve final judgement until the video series is finished. If I'm unhappy with how it turns out I'll try to at least try to write a little about it myself, I don't want to see the issues dismissed due to something like this.
#219malicemizerfanPosted 1/28/2013 8:18:38 PM
Ampharos64 posted...
malicemizerfan posted...

Not commenting on DmC specifically, but I think the issue is, if problematic portrayals of women pervade the entire culture. Not only may there not be many alternatives available, but it is that these portrayals are symptomatic of issues within society regarding women. That's why it can be useful to call attention to them, to highlight that. I've just finished looking at some 19th century novels, and reading them gives an idea what women's roles were expected to be in that society. Such expectations put pressure on women, and can be reinforced by depictions in the media. So, it isn't really just about not liking something.

So something I like should be changed into something I don't because someone else wants it that way?

Kinda seems stupid to change something in search of new customers when it will alienate your old ones... wait, didn't some company like just try this? Like, we're on the board for it? and the product bombed because it had no fan support?
---
#220WolfeyesVIIIPosted 1/28/2013 8:22:22 PM
malicemizerfan posted...
Ampharos64 posted...
malicemizerfan posted...

So something I like should be changed into something I don't because someone else wants it that way?

Kinda seems stupid to change something in search of new customers when it will alienate your old ones... wait, didn't some company like just try this? Like, we're on the board for it? and the product bombed because it had no fan support?

Sum up: WAAAAH I WANT THE SAND BOX TO BE THE WAY I WANT IT!
---
I'm a GIRL damn it!
Currently playing: Persona 2: EP (PSX)