DmC is repugnant, misogynistic: Feminist Frequency

#221malicemizerfanPosted 1/28/2013 8:24:50 PM(edited)
WolfeyesVIII posted...
malicemizerfan posted...
Ampharos64 posted...
malicemizerfan posted...
She is still demanding change for something she just picked up. that's like me walking into a store and demanding they start stocking things to my taste, even if I'm not their target demographic. just go to a different store that stocks things you like.

Not commenting on DmC specifically, but I think the issue is, if problematic portrayals of women pervade the entire culture. Not only may there not be many alternatives available, but it is that these portrayals are symptomatic of issues within society regarding women. That's why it can be useful to call attention to them, to highlight that. I've just finished looking at some 19th century novels, and reading them gives an idea what women's roles were expected to be in that society. Such expectations put pressure on women, and can be reinforced by depictions in the media. So, it isn't really just about not liking something.

The above could apply to other groups, too, not only women.

So something I like should be changed into something I don't because someone else wants it that way?

Kinda seems stupid to change something in search of new customers when it will alienate your old ones... wait, didn't some company like just try this? Like, we're on the board for it? and the product bombed because it had no fan support?

Sum up: WAAAAH I WANT THE SAND BOX TO BE THE WAY I WANT IT!

basically. they want it their way, I want it the way it used to be. this current middle ground model blows chunks.

edit: Since I know people will probably have taken it the wrong way by the time I finish typing this. I mean video games, not rights.
---
If you can see me smiling, you've already died. If I'm laughing, you might have a chance. If I'm quiet, I'm planning on how to get back to smiling.
#222WolfeyesVIIIPosted 1/28/2013 8:24:33 PM
malicemizerfan posted...
WolfeyesVIII posted...
malicemizerfan posted...
Ampharos64 posted...
malicemizerfan posted...
She is still demanding change for something she just picked up. that's like me walking into a store and demanding they start stocking things to my taste, even if I'm not their target demographic. just go to a different store that stocks things you like.

Not commenting on DmC specifically, but I think the issue is, if problematic portrayals of women pervade the entire culture. Not only may there not be many alternatives available, but it is that these portrayals are symptomatic of issues within society regarding women. That's why it can be useful to call attention to them, to highlight that. I've just finished looking at some 19th century novels, and reading them gives an idea what women's roles were expected to be in that society. Such expectations put pressure on women, and can be reinforced by depictions in the media. So, it isn't really just about not liking something.

The above could apply to other groups, too, not only women.

So something I like should be changed into something I don't because someone else wants it that way?

Kinda seems stupid to change something in search of new customers when it will alienate your old ones... wait, didn't some company like just try this? Like, we're on the board for it? and the product bombed because it had no fan support?

Sum up: WAAAAH I WANT THE SAND BOX TO BE THE WAY I WANT IT!

basically. they want it their way, I want it the way it used to be. this current middle ground model blows chunks.

Re-linking this: http://lillianjessica.tumblr.com/post/37040110340
---
I'm a GIRL damn it!
Currently playing: Persona 2: EP (PSX)
#223malicemizerfanPosted 1/28/2013 8:26:48 PM
re-making my point: Why not shop at the stores that cater to you? that's what I do.
---
If you can see me smiling, you've already died. If I'm laughing, you might have a chance. If I'm quiet, I'm planning on how to get back to smiling.
#224Celine10Posted 1/28/2013 8:29:33 PM(edited)
malicemizerfan posted...

I agree, if I find something offensive for me or my gender I won't support it, and that's it. There are lots of games that are palatable to female gamers, the games made only for the frat boy audience are actually a minority.

The issue here is that her criticism are so superficial and clunky she will list almost everything as anti-feminist, to the point of making feminism look like a joke to other people, especially those who already had issues with it.

That's why I think she is damaging the credibility of the battles she pretend to fight, and those who support her because they support feminism haven't realized yet that she's simply using them to create her position (and to make money) while being unable to make anything but extremely forced arguments everyone will consider weak outside of her circle.
#225Ampharos64Posted 1/28/2013 8:29:12 PM
malicemizerfan posted...

It isn't necessary to change something into something you won't like, unless for some reason you didn't want there to be good (female) characters in media.
#226WolfeyesVIIIPosted 1/28/2013 8:31:25 PM
malicemizerfan posted...
re-making my point: Why not shop at the stores that cater to you? that's what I do.

Why shouldn't a regular clothing store also have room for women? If it's advertising itself as a store for all gamers and not a MEN'S store, why shouldn't it also have some selection for women too instead of offering some scraps and acting like it's the woman's problem for wanting some actual care?

In the case of games, why should I have to hunt down games that supposedly cater to 'women' when I like other genres too? Hell, the games that supposedly cater to 'women' are rarer and limited ala the tutu and g-string.

Re-read the link.
---
I'm a GIRL damn it!
#227malicemizerfanPosted 1/28/2013 8:33:14 PM
Ampharos64 posted...
malicemizerfan posted...

It isn't necessary to change something into something you won't like, unless for some reason you didn't want there to be good (female) characters in media.

that seems to be what people are demanding of late. They demand easier games(not just girls, but people who want the world on a damn platter) while I prefer being challenged, and not in a dark souls "we're going to kill you with traps you could literally not know were there unless you have been through here already" I prefer a well written ai, that surprises me with tactics I don't expect.

If the store stops selling what I like, I take it as a sign they no longer wish for my business, and I go to a different store.
---
#228Celine10Posted 1/28/2013 8:33:58 PM
Ampharos64 posted...
malicemizerfan posted...

There are plenty of good or decent female characters I've been able to sympathize with, and that won't change because Feminist Frequency has a definition of female tropes that would make everything, both in videogame and real life sexist or worthless.

Don't confuse feminism and female rights with people trying to make a job out of it by exploiting people's willingness to support those battles. If anything, those people are the best allies of mysoginists.
#229WolfeyesVIIIPosted 1/28/2013 8:37:40 PM(edited)
Ampharos64 posted...
malicemizerfan posted...

This.

Women AREN'T asking for everything to be about them. They AREN'T asking for everything to change. They DO like acknowledgement. Unfortunately, the idea of 'acknowledgement' usually doesn't come to mind unless it effects people.

It's like when the Fate/Extra CCC opening vid came out. There's a choice in the game between female and male protagonists BUT the opening chose to focus on the female protagonist with no sign of the male protagonist whatsoever. There of course were posting complaining about lack of male representation, disregarding the fact the heroine had NO representation in previous medias like the manga and drama CDs.

Is it ideal to cut out the male protagonist? No, I'd say P3P's opening is one of the few cases of good balanace. But if a female gamer had been complaining about lack of the heroine in the opening, she'd get comments such as the "oh, the game's meant more for guys anyway. Go pick up a game meant for girls."
---
I'm a GIRL damn it!
#230malicemizerfanPosted 1/28/2013 8:37:14 PM
WolfeyesVIII posted...
malicemizerfan posted...

Why shouldn't a regular clothing store also have room for women? If it's advertising itself as a store for all gamers and not a MEN'S store, why shouldn't it also have some selection for women too instead of offering some scraps and acting like it's the woman's problem for wanting some actual care?

In the case of games, why should I have to hunt down games that supposedly cater to 'women' when I like other genres too? Hell, the games that supposedly cater to 'women' are rarer and limited ala the tutu and g-string.

Re-read the link.

and why MUST they cater to you? can't you appreciate a nice pair of pants, even if they are slightly ill fitting? why can't you just alter it when you get home(modding)? or go to a tailor.(looking for mods on the internet) or make your own clothes(actually met a girl who did this in college, she looked damn good, and didn't dress slutty for it either. Still regret forgetting to ask for her number)
---