DmC is repugnant, misogynistic: Feminist Frequency

#231WolfeyesVIIIPosted 1/28/2013 8:40:31 PM(edited)
malicemizerfan posted...
WolfeyesVIII posted...
malicemizerfan posted...
re-making my point: Why not shop at the stores that cater to you? that's what I do.

Why shouldn't a regular clothing store also have room for women? If it's advertising itself as a store for all gamers and not a MEN'S store, why shouldn't it also have some selection for women too instead of offering some scraps and acting like it's the woman's problem for wanting some actual care?

In the case of games, why should I have to hunt down games that supposedly cater to 'women' when I like other genres too? Hell, the games that supposedly cater to 'women' are rarer and limited ala the tutu and g-string.

Re-read the link.

and why MUST they cater to you? can't you appreciate a nice pair of pants, even if they are slightly ill fitting? why can't you just alter it when you get home(modding)? or go to a tailor.(looking for mods on the internet) or make your own clothes(actually met a girl who did this in college, she looked damn good, and didn't dress slutty for it either. Still regret forgetting to ask for her number)

Again, re-read the link. It's not about the clothing itself, it's about the attitude.

And read my previous post on the topic of "Catering".

---
I'm a GIRL damn it!
Currently playing: Persona 2: EP (PSX)
#232Ampharos64Posted 1/28/2013 8:45:42 PM
Celine10 posted...
There are plenty of good or decent female characters I've been able to sympathize with, and that won't change because Feminist Frequency has a definition of female tropes that would make everything, both in videogame and real life sexist or worthless.

Don't confuse feminism and female rights with people trying to make a job out of it by exploiting people's willingness to support those battles. If anything, those people are the best allies of mysoginists.

Agreed, I stated that myself if you saw my post earlier in the topic. I think gaming actually has a lot of really good female characters, there are many I really like, and it's something I'd like to call attention to if her video series focus too much on the negative as I fear it likely will. So, that isn't a mistake I'm likely to make.

Personally, I don't really want there to be a strong divide into games that cater to men and women. I'm a woman, yes, but I'm a person, I'm not defined solely by my gender. It just would become a problem if, say, the only representation of women in gaming was as damsels in distress - which it isn't, and even for some female characters who do have that role, it often makes sense within the context of the story, and importantly, isn't the only thing defining that character.
#233xhominidPosted 1/28/2013 8:49:13 PM

I'm happy people are able to separate female gamers and feminism from that person, I wouldn't have anything to do with her after having seen her uninformed criticism of games she has barely played, not to mention the way she treated those who supported her Kickstarter initiative.

As a whole, I think she has done far more harm than good to anyone interested in discussing gender issues and female tropes in videogames, and I'm really sad to see many honest women and feminists support her just because they believe she's on the same team regardless of her wrongdoings.

And thank you for that.
I have been the type that was mainly against feminism in general, but that's before I realized how stupid it was in that they do have a good cause...but the main issue I have is mainly with radical feminists. I'm mainly an idealist of what feminism is truly supposed to be and at this point in my life, I made absolute sure that I don't try to argue without having some type of fact and truth to what I state, and that's why I find Anita so dreadful.

For crying out loud, she argued that CHRISTMAS SONGS AND LEGOS ARE SEXIST! I don't even know how in the hell that's possible when in the long run, NO ONE is stopping any girls from playing Legos, especially when they are making types specifically catered to them.

It's impossible for me to try and even take her seriously after that and with how many White Knights and "Feminists" defend her trite, it saddens and sicken me that they honestly believe that Anita mainly got blasted by trolls when you host a Youtube Channel, you can selectively choose what comments you want in or not and she has it on in most of her videos. As others said, it's just best to let her fade, I may catch a glimpse at her "masterpiece" of Tropes vs. Women(and most likely despise it due to so much mis-information or forcing tropes) and her DmC video(which will most likely make me buy DmC just to see if she did her research or ignore the mass misandry in the game too), but that's pretty much it.
---
When you're Minato it means putting them both doggy style, putting seals on their asses and teleport-popping them like a beast. -NaughtyGhost
#234malicemizerfanPosted 1/28/2013 8:52:29 PM
WolfeyesVIII posted...
malicemizerfan posted...
WolfeyesVIII posted...
malicemizerfan posted...
re-making my point: Why not shop at the stores that cater to you? that's what I do.

Why shouldn't a regular clothing store also have room for women? If it's advertising itself as a store for all gamers and not a MEN'S store, why shouldn't it also have some selection for women too instead of offering some scraps and acting like it's the woman's problem for wanting some actual care?

In the case of games, why should I have to hunt down games that supposedly cater to 'women' when I like other genres too? Hell, the games that supposedly cater to 'women' are rarer and limited ala the tutu and g-string.

Re-read the link.

and why MUST they cater to you? can't you appreciate a nice pair of pants, even if they are slightly ill fitting? why can't you just alter it when you get home(modding)? or go to a tailor.(looking for mods on the internet) or make your own clothes(actually met a girl who did this in college, she looked damn good, and didn't dress slutty for it either. Still regret forgetting to ask for her number)

Again, re-read the link. It's not about the clothing itself, it's about the attitude.

I've read the link 4 times. unless they suddenly changed everything in it, it hasn't changed. why is it the store's problem? hell lets say they make changes and people didn't like it(since they now put skirts and girl-shaped pants where I would normally go looking for pants and shorts.) and then they lose customers, they didn't advertise to girls before, and still likely don't(It is exceedingly rare for me to see a girl at a game store, who isn't employed there) will this change yield profit or failure for them?

the attitude of that article is "it's everyone else's problem to cater to me." why. why do you demand the world change specifically to suit you.

I see plenty of "girls" clothing stores when I go to the mall, and off the top of my head, exactly 1 mens store. the rest are split, with mostly girls store, and a token section for men. does this mean that I need to go and yell until they start stocking mens clothes? no, I go to the one store I have, and the token sections of other stores.

I understand you wish games would cater more to girls, but at this point, its still mostly a boys hobby.
---
If you can see me smiling, you've already died. If I'm laughing, you might have a chance. If I'm quiet, I'm planning on how to get back to smiling.
#235Ampharos64Posted 1/28/2013 9:05:08 PM
malicemizerfan posted...
I understand you wish games would cater more to girls, but at this point, its still mostly a boys hobby.

But wouldn't that be why it's mainly a boy's hobby? It might be because girls are given the impression that gaming isn't for them. Although I reckon many more girls do play games than you might think. Still, on many occasions, I've certainly been made to feel unwelcome in various ways, by the community being actively hostile, just giving the impression that as a girl I wasn't 'supposed' to like video games. That perception can change.

There don't need to be big changes, just for developers to consider their portrayal and of female characters and representation of women, since many games can easily be enjoyed by both men and women. For instance, the option of a female avatar in the Pokemon series was a small addition that I as a female player appreciated (and I'll still happily pick the male trainer if I happen to like his design better, it just gives a choice). That doesn't mean every game needs the option of a female lead, of course, but in this case it was simple enough to include.
#236malicemizerfanPosted 1/28/2013 9:19:13 PM
honestly, I could care less about ones gender in a video game. If you aren't good, then I yell at you. if you point out you're a girl and I should respect that in a game, I will do everything in my power to switch teams or use friendly fire, as you will not improve, and I do not want to be on the same team as someone who is unwilling to become better at something because they feel they shouldn't have to.

Hell, I actually prefer strong female characters in games. That "rescuing the princess" thing holds no value to me as a plot point, because if I save her today, she's just going to get kidnapped by some annoying shmuck the next week. Dime-a-dozen Girly Girls are just that, dime-a-dozen, something you can see any time you look out a window.

I like a strong female lead because it's something that shows the universe will continue with or without me, there is someone who can do what I do just as well, and arguably look better doing it. I don't want a world where I am the chosen one, the last hope of a dead race of super men. I love games where you start as nothing, and everyone expects you to, at best, die trying.
---
If you can see me smiling, you've already died. If I'm laughing, you might have a chance. If I'm quiet, I'm planning on how to get back to smiling.
#237Celine10Posted 1/28/2013 9:20:26 PM
Ampharos64 posted...

Agreed, I stated that myself if you saw my post earlier in the topic. I think gaming actually has a lot of really good female characters, there are many I really like, and it's something I'd like to call attention to if her video series focus too much on the negative as I fear it likely will. So, that isn't a mistake I'm likely to make.

Personally, I don't really want there to be a strong divide into games that cater to men and women. I'm a woman, yes, but I'm a person, I'm not defined solely by my gender. It just would become a problem if, say, the only representation of women in gaming was as damsels in distress - which it isn't, and even for some female characters who do have that role, it often makes sense within the context of the story, and importantly, isn't the only thing defining that character.

Couldn't agree with you more. Devaluing any female character just because she has something to do with so-called female tropes is actually reducing her to a set role without even trying to understand her personality and background. All in all, I'm more offended by this inability to put people into context than by the tropes Female Frequency try (and fail, more often than not) to criticize.

xhominid posted...

And thank you for that.
I have been the type that was mainly against feminism in general, but that's before I realized how stupid it was in that they do have a good cause...but the main issue I have is mainly with radical feminists. I'm mainly an idealist of what feminism is truly supposed to be and at this point in my life, I made absolute sure that I don't try to argue without having some type of fact and truth to what I state, and that's why I find Anita so dreadful.

For crying out loud, she argued that CHRISTMAS SONGS AND LEGOS ARE SEXIST! I don't even know how in the hell that's possible when in the long run, NO ONE is stopping any girls from playing Legos, especially when they are making types specifically catered to them.

It's impossible for me to try and even take her seriously after that and with how many White Knights and "Feminists" defend her trite, it saddens and sicken me that they honestly believe that Anita mainly got blasted by trolls when you host a Youtube Channel, you can selectively choose what comments you want in or not and she has it on in most of her videos. As others said, it's just best to let her fade, I may catch a glimpse at her "masterpiece" of Tropes vs. Women(and most likely despise it due to so much mis-information or forcing tropes) and her DmC video(which will most likely make me buy DmC just to see if she did her research or ignore the mass misandry in the game too), but that's pretty much it.

This is exactly why I think those kind of criticism are damaging feminism: they're so ignorant and extreme they will be off-putting even to female gamers that share that mindset, not to mention to male gamers, and people will end up discussing absurdities like the ones you mentioned instead of focusing on real issues.

Even more, misogynists will use this kind of videos as an easy way to attack feminism as a whole, and those who are defending Feminist Frequency just because she calls herself "feminist" aren't really helping feminism or females, only Anita Sarkeesian's career.
#238Trailblazer34Posted 1/28/2013 10:48:59 PM
well, this is a feminist topic all right. 24 pages of blah. Sigh.
#239GrrManPosted 1/28/2013 11:55:14 PM
dohdough posted...
WideHeavens posted...
itt gamefaqs members pretend they're capable of discussing sociological issues, that they know anything about feminism even as they off-handedly dismiss it, that they've ever had a complete thought, etc.

Yup.

SilentS89 posted...
Gfaqs is the height of socially progressive attitudes and discussing gender issues here is highly productive.

Only ones in this topic with an iota of sense

A forum for a hack 'n slash isn't where you find worthwhile sociological debate, I'm sorry

Let's be realistic; videogames have traditionally been isolated, violence-based and male-centric, and developers are afraid to deviate from that standard. Why? Making games is a real financial investment now, and few have the guts to actually try and be original and pursue what they truly want to create. Suffice to say, whenever someone tries to rock the boat, people are going to complain that they're getting wet and the water's cold

So don't be surprised when you're called a "white knight" or linked to a Youtube nobody lamenting over women not knowing their place, because really

You're in the belly of the beast, the unblazed territory, where you can be as racist and sexist as you want and no one will call you out

The land of Internet and videogames! Hooray!

CONCLUSION:

Masculinists, consider that not all women want to exterminate men and create a society of lesbian clones

Feminists, consider that not all men want to reduce women to braindead sex slaves

Society is still developing and improving, institutionalized sexism and racism and ageism and classism still exists, double standards still exist when they shouldn't

Give it time, work TOGETHER to solve the problem, God damn it
---
"Yesterday we obeyed kings and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to truth..." - Khalil Gibran
#240Katashi1Posted 1/29/2013 12:14:21 AM
Whenever i think of feminism i always think of that Portlandia skit.