DmC is repugnant, misogynistic: Feminist Frequency

#31fifinamboPosted 1/28/2013 1:31:19 PM
Taizuku posted...
fifinambo posted...

So what? Inspiration of a character doesn't have to dictate gender.

No like she literally saw a kid...and was like "He's perfect to base my character on"

She has it written in the first Harry Potter book. He's directly based on a actual person.

It's still a mindset of a male would be better than a female.
Tell me why other female writers write male characters rather than female characters. Tell me why articles like this are still written in the year 2012:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324355904578159453918443978.html

I don't agree with the first post but to say women and men don't discriminate both sexes based on certain stereotypes is ridiculously naive.
---
Yes I think we`ve got a problem. So much for the afterglow.
#32TaizukuPosted 1/28/2013 1:37:44 PM
fifinambo posted...
Taizuku posted...
fifinambo posted...

So what? Inspiration of a character doesn't have to dictate gender.

No like she literally saw a kid...and was like "He's perfect to base my character on"

She has it written in the first Harry Potter book. He's directly based on a actual person.

It's still a mindset of a male would be better than a female.
Tell me why other female writers write male characters rather than female characters. Tell me why articles like this are still written in the year 2012:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324355904578159453918443978.html

I don't agree with the first post but to say women and men don't discriminate both sexes based on certain stereotypes is ridiculously naive.

I never said they didn't discriminate. It takes more than a few individuals to incite change.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QCgle29Es4
#33melainevalentPosted 1/28/2013 1:46:18 PM
Taizuku posted...
I hate feminism so much. It's THE most backward logic on the planet. "We're tired of sexist men and being discriminated, let's be sexist women and discriminate."

It doesn't matter what you do to a female character, there will always be feminist barking.

Make them the main antagonist - "Oh so all women have to be evil?"
Make them the main protagonist - "This game has violence against women!?"
Make them attractive - "You're exploiting women!"
Make them unattractive - "They're trying to stifle the expressive beauty of women!"
Make them background characters - "Women aren't important enough to be in the main story?"
Make them sidekicks - "She's too dumb to stand alone?"
Make them fall in love - "She's too dependent on men"
Make a game without females - "Sexist"
Make a game with only females - FEMALES DON'T EVEN BUY IT.

Seriously, just shut the **** up.

Make your own entertainment media.

That is not true.

Feminism is NOT about hating men or treating them differently. The 'feminist' who do so aren't feminists to begin with, they're engaged in a gender war that should have ended ages ago.

The complaints you've shown come from people like the woman from feminist frequency which is over the top and exagerated. Most feminists are not like that. However, they are not lies. Do you have any idea how tiresome it is for us girls to watch, say, Batman do all the hero thing, stand tall and proud and fearsome, while Catwoman is more often than not portrayed on her kness and all sexy like?

It's tiresome and hurtful. We want girls to stand tall and proud in games and stories too. But you know why we don't have that? Because it's no considered 'sexy'. See the problem?

All we want is respect and equality in the sense that I can read a comic book or play a video game without some moron thinking I'm doing it for attention or to look 'hot'. I have lsot the count of how many times I was harassed online once the guys I played with or against found out I was a girl.

Sexism is far far far away from over, and telling women to shut their mouth and start working on their own enterteinament is a fine example of that. Please don't do it because it's hurtful and it's offensive. It offended me much more than any scene that portrayed women like trash in DmC (which were like, two. At best.)
#34TaizukuPosted 1/28/2013 1:50:06 PM
melainevalent posted...

Sexism is far far far away from over, and telling women to shut their mouth and start working on their own enterteinament is a fine example of that. Please don't do it because it's hurtful and it's offensive. It offended me much more than any scene that portrayed women like trash in DmC (which were like, two. At best.)

How is that EVEN sexist? You're willing to complain about something, but not actually step up to make a difference, that makes you a coward, and pathetic. I'll be damned the day I say something is wrong, and then just sit on my ass and whine about it. Get up. Solve the problem with your own hands. You let your skills show disbelievers the way.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QCgle29Es4
#35DevilKnightPosted 1/28/2013 1:59:46 PM(edited)
Anita Sarkeesian's intellectual dishonesty/ignorance make her an absolutely terrible analyst. She does very lazy and hackneyed research (if any), does not have a mindset that is willing to explore ideas outside her narrow palette and world-view and her 'analysis' begins and ends at contentiously categorizing things into rigid archetypes based on trite face-value observations that discard or ignore mitigating factors, context, contrary evidence or anything found in deeper, more balanced inspection that doesn't support her base impressions.

While I haven't yet played the game, (will be getting it shortly) I'm pretty sure her conclusions aren't drawn from insightful critical analysis so much as things like the script frequently using the words b***h and w***e when referring to female characters (irrespective of the general pattern of the script coming off as if it were edited by a 12 year old with tourettes, and thus not so problematic when looked at outside a vacuum), the obnoxious image on the title screen and the strippers & one night stand girls in the opening cutscene.

Sarkeesian is not a sex-positive feminist, and when she sees something like this, she will extrapolate from it that the game wants to support and promote the notion that women should be submissive sex-objects.

This is basically how she analyses and draws her conclusions.
#36melainevalentPosted 1/28/2013 1:51:28 PM
Taizuku posted...
melainevalent posted...

How is that EVEN sexist? You're willing to complain about something, but not actually step up to make a difference, that makes you a coward, and pathetic. I'll be damned the day I say something is wrong, and then just sit on my ass and whine about it. Get up. Solve the problem with your own hands. You let your skills show disbelievers the way.

Wow.
#37megamaticsPosted 1/28/2013 1:52:37 PM
melainevalent posted...
Taizuku posted...
I hate feminism so much. It's THE most backward logic on the planet. "We're tired of sexist men and being discriminated, let's be sexist women and discriminate."

It doesn't matter what you do to a female character, there will always be feminist barking.

Make them the main antagonist - "Oh so all women have to be evil?"
Make them the main protagonist - "This game has violence against women!?"
Make them attractive - "You're exploiting women!"
Make them unattractive - "They're trying to stifle the expressive beauty of women!"
Make them background characters - "Women aren't important enough to be in the main story?"
Make them sidekicks - "She's too dumb to stand alone?"
Make them fall in love - "She's too dependent on men"
Make a game without females - "Sexist"
Make a game with only females - FEMALES DON'T EVEN BUY IT.

Seriously, just shut the **** up.

Make your own entertainment media.

That is not true.

Feminism is NOT about hating men or treating them differently. The 'feminist' who do so aren't feminists to begin with, they're engaged in a gender war that should have ended ages ago.

The complaints you've shown come from people like the woman from feminist frequency which is over the top and exagerated. Most feminists are not like that. However, they are not lies. Do you have any idea how tiresome it is for us girls to watch, say, Batman do all the hero thing, stand tall and proud and fearsome, while Catwoman is more often than not portrayed on her kness and all sexy like?

It's tiresome and hurtful. We want girls to stand tall and proud in games and stories too. But you know why we don't have that? Because it's no considered 'sexy'. See the problem?

All we want is respect and equality in the sense that I can read a comic book or play a video game without some moron thinking I'm doing it for attention or to look 'hot'. I have lsot the count of how many times I was harassed online once the guys I played with or against found out I was a girl.

It's hurtful and Offensive...But it's true.
If You believe that women feel so excluded and are an untapped audience then by all means make the material to show the claim to be true. You don't get to decide what another individual writes or does, So either stop belly aching or get to work on your "Un Tapped Market" you so think is being under represented.
---
GamerTag: RaymondMic/OptimusMega PSN: Optimus Mega
SteamProfile: Megamatics
#38DAI MAJINPosted 1/28/2013 1:53:36 PM
if feminism was about equality it would be called equalism.
---
Criticism is futile.
#39melainevalentPosted 1/28/2013 1:54:09 PM
DevilKnight posted...
Anita Sarkeesian's intellectual dishonesty/ignorance make her an absolutely terrible analyst. She does very lazy and hackneyed research (if any), does not have a mindset that is willing to explore ideas outside her narrow palette and world-view and her 'analysis' begins and ends at contentiously categorizing things into rigid archetypes based on trite face-value observations that discard or ignore mitigating factors, context, contrary evidence or anything found in deeper, more balanced inspection that doesn't support her base impressions.

While I haven't yet played the game, I'm pretty sure her conclusions aren't drawn so much from insightful critical analysis so much as things like the script frequently using the words b***h and w***e when referring to female characters (irrespective of the general pattern of the script coming off as if it were edited by a 12 year old with tourettes, and thus not so problematic when looked at outside a vacuum), the obnoxious image on the title screen and the strippers & one night stand girls in the opening cutscene.

Sarkeesian is not a sex-positive feminist, and when she sees something like this, she will extrapolate from it that the game wants to support and promote the notion that women should be submissive sex-objects.

This is basically how she analyses and draws her conclusions.

That is true.

I have seen her review of Bayonetta which left me with my mouth hanging open because she did not play the game. At all. She goes on to state that Bayonetta has a child. We all know that's not true, it's explicitly shown in the game it's not true. She does very little research.

She judged Bayonetta for the booty shots instead of the story and the relationship between two best friends. Bayonetta was girl power all the way through and I loved LOVED that in the end, it was about two best friends loving and finding each other after years apart.
#40Malus_X6Posted 1/28/2013 1:55:04 PM
Yeah... I saw something like this coming.
---
PSN: LordMalus
XBL: LordMalusDCLXVI