Was Dante drunk and trolling in DMC 4?

#11Luiman04Posted 1/29/2013 9:26:12 AM
Taizuku posted...
sworder posted...
Not enough grittiness for you? Must Dante yell f*** you every 2 seconds so you think he's cool?

You and gogeta seem to be pretty passive aggressive lately.

He doesn't have to be super serious all the time, but he also doesn't have to take NOTHING seriously.

He killed mundus, the demon king, and defeated/killed his brother, in 3/1 respectively, who was tho only other one who rivaled his skill. After such a track record I don't see a point in taking other demons as a serious threat. Still other demons would rise stronger than mundus, but that was probably the reasoning behind it.
#12DJ_0000Posted 1/29/2013 9:32:22 AM
Luiman04 posted...

He killed mundus, the demon king, and defeated/killed his brother, in 3/1 respectively, who was tho only other one who rivaled his skill. After such a track record I don't see a point in taking other demons as a serious threat. Still other demons would rise stronger than mundus, but that was probably the reasoning behind it.

The problem is that when he has nothing that can even slightly threaten him he no longer has a purpose, in DMC3 he was goofing around but there were parts when he actually matured as a character, that made it a much better story for me and it made me like him more than when he was just some random goofball who showed up in DMC4.
#13prince_nagashPosted 1/29/2013 9:36:12 AM
He was OP and the writers weren't creative enough to come up with a worthy opponent.

So they had to make a weaker protagonist.
#14ScreamingMidgetPosted 1/29/2013 9:38:53 AM
Ink-Ribbon posted...
I've just finished playing DMC 4 after a long time, but I noticed how Dante didn't take anything seriously in the whole game.

Seriously, that pissed me off. What happened to him?

He's completely overpowered, that is what happened to him.
#15TaizukuPosted 1/29/2013 9:39:01 AM
DJ_0000 posted...
Luiman04 posted...

The problem is that when he has nothing that can even slightly threaten him he no longer has a purpose, in DMC3 he was goofing around but there were parts when he actually matured as a character, that made it a much better story for me and it made me like him more than when he was just some random goofball who showed up in DMC4.

Exactly!

I hated Bayonetta's character until the end of the game. She didn't take anything seriously, at all until she realized Jeanne could **** her **** up. Once she realized she wasn't as powerful as she thought, she humbled a bit, and was nicer to Luca, and cared about something, WHILE still being funny and a little goofy.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QCgle29Es4
#16PirateSwordsmanPosted 1/29/2013 9:41:01 AM
Ink-Ribbon posted...
I've just finished playing DMC 4 after a long time, but I noticed how Dante didn't take anything seriously in the whole game.

Seriously, that pissed me off. What happened to him?

DMC4 was soooo melodramatic compared to the rest of the franchise. The game opened with a grand, glorious opera while Nero fought demons. Everything looked so clean. The protagonist struggled to save his adoptive-sister-slash-love-interest, crying out in frustration whenever he failed. There was a lot of dramatic screaming, lots of hammy moments, and even Nero's awakening scene was him making a big speech with orchestral music (the fact that he was talking to Agnus probably didn't help).

Dante was the only one in the game (safe for maybe Trish; Lady doesn't count, she wasn't in... Fortuna, was it?) who refused to be drawn into the game's melodrama, instead lampshading it. He was the strongest thing in the game, apparently. As far as he was concerned, he was in a city full of religious, overzealous drama queens who happened to have something he wanted back. Sure, Dante was a little immature sometimes in that game, but at least he brought much needed lighthearted fun in something that was trying too hard to be theatrical.
---
~On How To Close Topics - In Memory of callingjaguar~
callingjaguar:
tell me how to take it off or i will c*m on you
#17antking61Posted 1/29/2013 9:44:54 AM
Luiman04 posted...

He didn't actually KILL Mundus. Didn't he just seal him away again?

And he was technically serious at a few moments like when Credo gave Dante his last request.
---
Hoo Haa!!! I has Signature!!!
#18TaizukuPosted 1/29/2013 9:47:39 AM
antking61 posted...
Luiman04 posted...

He didn't actually KILL Mundus. Didn't he just seal him away again?

And he was technically serious at a few moments like when Credo gave Dante his last request.

For literally like a whole 30 seconds yea lol.
---
#19antking61Posted 1/29/2013 9:49:25 AM
Taizuku posted...

But as a trade off, he was less over the top than his DMC3 self. He actually came off as a more matured version of his 19 year old self while still remaining a familiar character.
---
Hoo Haa!!! I has Signature!!!
#20TaizukuPosted 1/29/2013 9:51:14 AM
antking61 posted...
Taizuku posted...

But as a trade off, he was less over the top than his DMC3 self. He actually came off as a more matured version of his 19 year old self while still remaining a familiar character.

I'll give you that, because damn I hated his personality in DMC3.
---