Was Dante drunk and trolling in DMC 4?

#51NeoTStylePosted 1/29/2013 1:06:10 PM
I'm not sure about this, but while Dante is obviously extremely OP in DMC4 doesn't it seem that he had some problems fighting the saviour? In the last cutscene he manages to block his punch attack but he does seem to be put under a lot of pressure and strain because of it. I like to think he was just toying with the saviour long enough so that Nero could get his revenge but I dunno... ;_;

Ink-Ribbon posted...
I've just finished playing DMC 4 after a long time, but I noticed how Dante didn't take anything seriously in the whole game.

Seriously, that pissed me off. What happened to him?

DMC4 was soooo melodramatic compared to the rest of the franchise. The game opened with a grand, glorious opera while Nero fought demons. Everything looked so clean. The protagonist struggled to save his adoptive-sister-slash-love-interest, crying out in frustration whenever he failed. There was a lot of dramatic screaming, lots of hammy moments, and even Nero's awakening scene was him making a big speech with orchestral music (the fact that he was talking to Agnus probably didn't help).

Dante was the only one in the game (safe for maybe Trish; Lady doesn't count, she wasn't in... Fortuna, was it?) who refused to be drawn into the game's melodrama, instead lampshading it. He was the strongest thing in the game, apparently. As far as he was concerned, he was in a city full of religious, overzealous drama queens who happened to have something he wanted back. Sure, Dante was a little immature sometimes in that game, but at least he brought much needed lighthearted fun in something that was trying too hard to be theatrical.

This.

Depends. I kind of hate people actually.

Come on, you hate people? How can you say that? I understand being indifferent about them, but hating them? Eh, I hate to bring it up, but it reminds me of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycBjdDzS78c
#52Lioyd_the_heroPosted 1/29/2013 1:06:53 PM
In the plot he was mostly around to get his brother's sword and fix the mess

IRL he was there because DMC fans (you can see it in DmC) always throw a hissy-fit when their mary sue Dante isn't around
---
PSN howling_red
#53NeoTStylePosted 1/29/2013 1:08:54 PM(edited)
In the plot he was mostly around to get his brother's sword and fix the mess

IRL he was there because DMC fans (you can see it in DmC) always throw a hissy-fit when their mary sue Dante isn't around

But that was the first time he actually took a step back from being the main character, so the devs wouldn't be able to know that. (though it should be obvious that replacing the lovable MC isn't a good idea)
#54antking61Posted 1/29/2013 1:13:52 PM
NeoTStyle posted...
Come on, you hate people? How can you say that? I understand being indifferent about them, but hating them? Eh, I hate to bring it up, but it reminds me of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycBjdDzS78c

Not entirely. Just in general. People are selfish, ignorant, rude, and annoying as hell.
---
Hoo Haa!!! I has Signature!!!
#55Y2JUzumakiPosted 1/29/2013 2:53:32 PM
antking61 posted...
Luiman04 posted...
He killed mundus, the demon king, and defeated/killed his brother, in 3/1 respectively, who was tho only other one who rivaled his skill. After such a track record I don't see a point in taking other demons as a serious threat. Still other demons would rise stronger than mundus, but that was probably the reasoning behind it.

He didn't actually KILL Mundus. Didn't he just seal him away again?

And he was technically serious at a few moments like when Credo gave Dante his last request.

Yeah. Im pretty sure Mundus was just resealed. My memory's a bit fuzzy but I believe Dante had said something to Mundus, after shooting him, along the lines of "Give my regards to my son."
#56coolguy2007Posted 1/29/2013 3:04:43 PM
Didnt they just need yamato to open the hell gate and Spardas blood to get the savior running? Trish gave them the sword so she could earn their trust and find out what their plans were. Also, isnt it a normal thing that you would goof around when you know your enemy is weak? For example, when you play online games against a noob, you wouldnt go serious at and would just troll him and try to have fun.
#57DarkRay117Posted 1/29/2013 3:57:12 PM
Dante was too powerful, maybe even more powerful than Sparda at that point, why would he need to take things seriously?
#58RichterB17Posted 1/29/2013 4:15:37 PM
DarkRay117 posted...
Dante was too powerful, maybe even more powerful than Sparda at that point, why would he need to take things seriously?

Especially against villains who shouldn't be taken seriously.
---
"They sowed their fate when they took this job.... I'm just the reaper" - Raiden
#59NostalgiaRulesPosted 1/29/2013 8:38:55 PM
antking61 posted...
Windmaster715 posted...
Dante didn't see any of the enemies as a real threat and let Nero handle it himself

This. Dante was basically hanging around as a "Just in case Nero can't handle this" after he realized some1 as strong as Nero was there.

This and this. Dante fell the "savior" easily. He also sliced the demon gates with ease. If Dante had actually decided to get serious....DMC 4 would have been a very, very short game. :P Also, Dante likes to toy with his enemies, kind of like a child likes to play with their food. XD
---
Newer isn't always better.
And I shall keep Dante's Force Edge polished and sharp till he comes back.
#60OZLDIACPosted 1/29/2013 9:01:28 PM
Dante's personality in DMC4 is exactly what it should be...not lazy but relaxed and not drunk or trolling but care-free, since he already knows he's OP. He didn't take anyone or anything seriously even when Trish took his precious Sparda. I mean, that's what i would be if I was OP...er..if i even have powers that is...

If he took the reigns from Nero from the start...the game would have been 10 missions or less long. lol

I wish they used DMC4 Dante's personality in DmC...