It feels like reviewers have not played this game.

#1MarblesbunbunPosted 1/30/2013 3:53:51 PM
Sometimes it feels like reviewers have not played this game, or I severely missed something.

Many reviews speak about "Switching weapons" mid combat, as if you literally switch weapon and continue using it. However, as far as I've played (and yes I've beaten if twice now) the only way to switch weapons is to hold down a trigger button, and you use said weapon for as long as either L2 or R2 are held down. Is there actually a way to actually switch weapon as they are describing?

(Yahtzee is merely the latest, where he speaks of accidentally switching weapons and just using said weapon for the rest of the fight.. etc etc.)

Also off topic. I dislike how Angry Joe complained about how he felt other reviewers didn't play it on anything past the initial difficulty. Honestly, most people who play games are going to play it on normal, then shelve it.. then after a few weeks/months come back and play it on normal again more then likely. Only the truly passionate go back and play hard, and DMD, H&H etc etc.. (Joe rated it down because higher difficulties reviewed so major design flaws, which other reviewers missed playing it only on normal)
---
The patience it takes to play FFXI and EQ is the patience it takes to kill yourself by bashing your head into a wall.
#2StepswordsmanPosted 1/30/2013 3:57:27 PM(edited)
You can cycle between weapons in the angel, demon and ranged categories, so it's certainly possible to accidentally switch to the axe or the third gun and remember that that piece of crap exists. Much like how you may discover this game in your DMC collection years later.
---
Besides I or anyone else was flamming anyone.
#3dillpickle69Posted 1/30/2013 3:58:18 PM
I'm not trying to sound like one of those people that just criticize every single aspect of the game I can find no matter how stupid it sounds, but I honestly do get the feeling Capcom paid some of these reviews off. If you read some of them, they have a lot more negatives than positives about the game. Yet they still manage to rate it very high.
---
I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum.
http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net/photo/5062421_700b.jpg
#4Marblesbunbun(Topic Creator)Posted 1/30/2013 4:00:17 PM
Stepswordsman posted...
You can cycle between weapons in the angel, demon and ranged categories, so it's certainly possible to accidentally switch to the axe or the third gun and remember that that piece of crap exists. Much like how you may discover this game in your DMC collection years later.

I know you can cycle with the Digital Pad, but the way it sounded in 3 reviews is you can just literally equip said weapon WITHOUT holding the triggers down.
---
The patience it takes to play FFXI and EQ is the patience it takes to kill yourself by bashing your head into a wall.
#5PhaseSlaethePosted 1/30/2013 4:03:36 PM
Reviewers tend to gloss...a LOT.

Worst part is, people then take that glossing over as the gospel.

It is a reason why "pro" reviewers need to quit their jobs. They aren't gamers. They just play games.
#6cyanide_suicidePosted 1/30/2013 4:05:28 PM
dillpickle69 posted...
I'm not trying to sound like one of those people that just criticize every single aspect of the game I can find no matter how stupid it sounds, but I honestly do get the feeling Capcom paid some of these reviews off. If you read some of them, they have a lot more negatives than positives about the game. Yet they still manage to rate it very high.

Game Informer's review was the biggest culprit of this. It criticized almost every aspect of the game, yet still gave it a 9 and Game of the Month. I never realized a game that is apparently flawed in every single aspect is still deserving of a nearly perfect score until I read that review.
#7PhaseSlaethePosted 1/30/2013 4:09:17 PM
cyanide_suicide posted...
dillpickle69 posted...

Game Informer's review was the biggest culprit of this. It criticized almost every aspect of the game, yet still gave it a 9 and Game of the Month. I never realized a game that is apparently flawed in every single aspect is still deserving of a nearly perfect score until I read that review.

I think it was IGN, but Dark Souls and Skyrim got essentially the same exact review, pound for pound.

Dark Souls scored less.

Guess why~!
#8ScreamingMidgetPosted 1/30/2013 4:12:43 PM
Considering all the 9s it got, it seems only Capcom's money actually played the game.