Long-distance romance?

#1ShengaliPosted 1/30/2013 4:30:28 PM
Interesting read. It's funny, but the article started out by pointing out how badly NT was doing in Capcom's eyes (I initially thought they were trying to distance themselves), but in the end there were compliments.

Can't tell if they were backhanded though, they were like: "It was great that we didn't have to keep fixing things, later in development".

Anyway, just thought I'd post this so at least there's something new on the board that wasn't "Antis are Haterz!" or "Suck it Pros!".

http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/30/3931784/capcom-devs-describe-the-long-distance-romance-with-ninja-theory-that

Feel free to discuss, of course :)
#2Shengali(Topic Creator)Posted 1/30/2013 4:32:42 PM
"In the end, though, they'd always outdo our expectations with the results."

Don't want to seem biased.
#3SilentS89Posted 1/30/2013 4:36:39 PM(edited)
Oh man, this is too great.

"...as did Capcom's expectations of DmC's violence level. The initial concepts for the game were even more dark and demonic than the final product - something Eshiro blanched at, because if the Japanese CERO ratings board awarded DmC a Z (an "18+ only" rating usually applied to games with dismemberment or other extreme violence), the game would have difficulty finding distribution in many Japanese shops.

"The original concept art had some pretty grotesque depictions," Eshiro recalled. "As the producer, I figured there was no way we could have this get a Z rating, so I had them make things a level or two milder. But it was like, I'd turn my eyes away for a bit, and then there'd be heads flying off bodies, guts all over the place. I don't know how many times I said 'No, this'll make them give it a Z!'"

"...Apparently the designer really liked putting blades on people's elbows."

"So we asked how the guy was gonna attack with this blade," Eshiro continued, "and the reply was 'Oh, he doesn't use it much'. So we said 'No, no, that's not going to work as a game' and had them rethink it a little bit.""
#4SilentS89Posted 1/30/2013 4:39:27 PM
Really? Falling off the first page? Nobody else interested? This stuff is gold.
#5SHMYazooPosted 1/30/2013 4:45:14 PM
I liked the read. Once again, it shows that Itsuno had some input in the direction of the game, which makes it even clearer that if we end up getting a DMC5, which I highly doubt, instead of a DmC2, the game wouldn't be the same as DMC4, it would resemble DmC much more.

They've already said that the No Lock On thing was Itsuno's idea.
---
Aion is just like all other WoW clones, I mean, the Mage in Aion has a Fireball spell and can make Portals. WoW ANYONE??? - Aion Boards
#6SilentS89Posted 1/30/2013 4:51:15 PM
SHMYazoo posted...
I liked the read. Once again, it shows that Itsuno had some input in the direction of the game, which makes it even clearer that if we end up getting a DMC5, which I highly doubt, instead of a DmC2, the game wouldn't be the same as DMC4, it would resemble DmC much more.

How on Earth did you reach that conclusion?

SHMYazoo posted...

Citation needed.
#7DethaPosted 1/30/2013 5:00:43 PM
I enjoyed the read, TC. Funny stuff.
---
i3 2130 3.4, 8gb 1600, 460 855/2065 http://steamcommunity.com/id/dxluv
#8SHMYazooPosted 1/30/2013 5:01:50 PM
SilentS89 posted...
SHMYazoo posted...

SHMYazoo posted...

Citation needed.

Here's the citation:

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/12/07/capcom-uptick-in-pre-order-sales-after-dmc-devil-may-cry-demo/

I reached that conclusion based on the fact that Dragon's Dogma, Itsuno and DMC3 and 4 team's project, has also went through the WRPG route and Itsuno being the one that personally suggested lots of game mechanics in DmC that some old fans didn't like, like the No Lock On thing, which is something Itsuno has been trying to do for a long time, according to the article which is an interview with Capcom USA producers.
---
Aion is just like all other WoW clones, I mean, the Mage in Aion has a Fireball spell and can make Portals. WoW ANYONE??? - Aion Boards
#9SilentS89Posted 1/30/2013 5:04:32 PM
SHMYazoo posted...
SilentS89 posted...
SHMYazoo posted...

SHMYazoo posted...

Citation needed.

Here's the citation:

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/12/07/capcom-uptick-in-pre-order-sales-after-dmc-devil-may-cry-demo/

I reached that conclusion based on the fact that Dragon's Dogma, Itsuno and DMC3 and 4 team's project, has also went through the WRPG route and Itsuno being the one that personally suggested lots of game mechanics in DmC that some old fans didn't like, like the No Lock On thing, which is something Itsuno has been trying to do for a long time, according to the article which is an interview with Capcom USA producers.

Well, you delivered.

Thanks for taking the time to do so.
#10SHMYazooPosted 1/30/2013 5:06:42 PM
SilentS89 posted...
SHMYazoo posted...
SilentS89 posted...
SHMYazoo posted...

SHMYazoo posted...

Citation needed.

Here's the citation:

Well, you delivered.

Thanks for taking the time to do so.

No problem, I should have put it there from the start as it's something that's hard to believe. i wouldn't believe if someone told me that, without citation, either.
---