Tell me about games that have a deeper storyline than DmC. [spoilers ahead]

#11Sony_7Posted 1/31/2013 11:30:37 AM(edited)
DMC3 and it wasn't even trying. Dude, slow down. You're starting to make us pros look bad. You're becoming the Unknown of pros.
---
http://www.gamesprays.com/images/icons/tf2%20demoman%20spray_icon301.jpg
Wario Ware DIY FC: 1978-2715-3849
#12SHMYazoo(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2013 11:34:06 AM(edited)
Psychochild27 posted...
SHMYazoo posted...
Psychochild27 posted...
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/605600-dmc-devil-may-cry/65322086

I've read that Rock Paper Shotgun article. It was good enough.

Try page two and three of that thread which directly answers your question.

/how the Hell you people get by with ten posts a page is beyond me.

I think the topic title there wasn't inviting enough for a discussion about good game stories, that's why I felt the need to create a topic about it. It needed a reboot (playing with you).
---
Aion is just like all other WoW clones, I mean, the Mage in Aion has a Fireball spell and can make Portals. WoW ANYONE??? - Aion Boards
#13SHMYazoo(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2013 11:35:15 AM
Sony_7 posted...
DMC3 and it wasn't even trying. Dude, slow down. You're starting to make us pros look bad. You're becoming the Unknown of pros.

Did I say anything inappropriate with this topic? I think there's nothing to criticize in this thread's text, to be honest with you.
---
Aion is just like all other WoW clones, I mean, the Mage in Aion has a Fireball spell and can make Portals. WoW ANYONE??? - Aion Boards
#14revanninjaPosted 1/31/2013 11:38:53 AM
No more heroes hands down.

It has you traveling the depths of madness while looking at your real life self.....Plus BEAM KATANAS MAN!
---
I have an answer to everything whether its a good answer is entirely irrelevant
#15IamthekuzalolPosted 1/31/2013 11:39:45 AM
megaultrarice34 posted...
"DMC1~4" or "any other game"
#16SHMYazoo(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2013 11:40:25 AM
revanninja posted...

It has you traveling the depths of madness while looking at your real life self.....Plus BEAM KATANAS MAN!

I've heard about this game's gameplay on the Wii, but never anything about its story. I heard there's a PS3 port, is it good?
---
#17HellsControllerPosted 1/31/2013 11:41:04 AM
megaultrarice34 posted...
"DMC1~4" or "any other game"

---
"The great thing about the internet is you can make up a quote and claim somebody famous said it." ---George Washington.
#18KyryloPosted 1/31/2013 11:41:10 AM
SHMYazoo posted...
I wanna see what you come up with. Lots of people here think DmC has a ridiculous storyline, so I wanna see what are the ones that surpass it in your opinion.

Personally, at the top of my head there are probably 6~7 games that have a more developed story than this one and probably only 1 of them in the action genre. I'll share them as we move ahead with the thread, if people post stuff here.

Games have never been famous for their amazing plots, but I think this game was a step in the right direction. I think the social commentary in DmC, while not original, was done in a very nice way. It had a lot of tongue-in-cheek humor (the beverage is not addictive just because it's a soft drink, the news guy who says "just doing God's work" is actually a demon, etc) and the brotherly rivalry was done very nicely. They clearly didn't hate each other by the end of the game, they were hurt by how the other one wouldn't "play" it their way. Also Vergil didn't seem like a villain at the end of the game, just someone with a different point of view, like most good villains are (his way of thinking reminds me of Ozymandias in Watchmen). Just my opinion though.

You can post just the name of the game or elaborate if you want. I'd certainly prefer if you justify your answer.

PS: Blatant trolls will be ignored. Answers like "DMC1~4" or "any other game", without justification or any kind of elaboration, will be ignored as well.

Of course I expect the normal group of trolls in this board to post exactly what I asked not to.

Any SH game,any ME game, any MGS game, Okami, NMH (yes, for the *** sake, it has so many sides) Max Payne, ALice, Folklore, and yes I like DMC story more than fight DA power ding.
#19Dark_EpathyPosted 1/31/2013 11:41:26 AM
Are we talking depth or quality? Because they're two different things.

I can probably safely say the Silent Hill games--barring maybe Origins or Homecoming or the original, and even those are hesitant--are deeper than DmC. They all explore fairly mature, psychological issues. SH2 and Shattered Memories, in particular, are notable for how they handle themes of grief, reconciliation, and domestic violence.

The storytelling, however, is not necessarily fantastic. The SH games typically suffer from awkward pacing and reliance upon notes and memos.

In terms of quality, I'd say DmC is decent. It could have been much more developed. I look to something like the first three Yakuza games when I want to talk about quality storytelling. They're a little cliched, but you get good character development and great pacing, for the most part.
---
~@_@~
Why are you people so hung up on what's canon or not? - freakazaa
#20revanninjaPosted 1/31/2013 11:44:06 AM
SHMYazoo posted...
revanninja posted...

I've heard about this game's gameplay on the Wii, but never anything about its story. I heard there's a PS3 port, is it good?

Yeah there is and depends the controls for the controller is not bad but its still meant for move so each their own.

But man i loved that game its so tounge in cheek
---
I have an answer to everything whether its a good answer is entirely irrelevant