Tell me about games that have a deeper storyline than DmC. [spoilers ahead]

#101sillycatstevenPosted 2/1/2013 4:51:28 AM
SHMYazoo posted...
sillycatsteven posted...
SHMYazoo posted...
I don't know what world you're living in, but outside of RPGs, there were VERY FEW games that even attempted a story back in the PS1 era and before.

This is PS3 era.... let's compare it to PS1...

as people had probably mentioned, apart from the numerous RPGs and action RPGs, there's the uncharted series, Force Unleashed, Dead space 1 and 2 (btw 3's out soon, so excited), NeiR, Zone of enders, even Soulcalibur has better writing

That was a response to this post:

"i mean have you PLAYED any other games? like is DmC your first game you have ever played? have you even played in the ps1 era where games were made with the story being the main focus? what about the ps2 era that did the same for the most part? what about the gamecube that had a huge selection of story driven games, the gameboy advance?"

So please, don't take it out of context.

sorry for taking it out of context. but even in that context, it's not a really good argument. back in PS1 and pre-PS1 era, most games other than RPGs are focusing on something other than story because that's how games were back in those days. shooters are just plain shooters, platforms are just purely platforms. it's until the gaming audience starting to want more than just shooters or just platforms, the gaming companies started putting more focus on story. this is how the gaming industry evolved. but even back in the PS1 eras, you still get the likes of SoulBlade that have decent stories that was better than DmC, and wasn't a RPG...

now that i thought about it, i think Kula world had a better story plot than DmC. even though i didn't managed to finish it... i think i got stuck at level 120+
---
PSN: SillyCat659221 Add Me, i'm in NZ
Go now, if you want it / Another world awaits you.
#102NeoTStylePosted 2/1/2013 5:43:48 AM
Just some games that have better stories than DmC:

Star Ocean 1 - 4
Vagrant Story
God Hand
.hack//IMOQ
Demon's/Dark Souls
DMC1 - 4
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
Sonic Unleashed
Kingdom Hearts
Baten Kaitos
Max Payne 1 - 3
MGS 1 - 3
Ratchet & Clank 1 - 3
Jak & Daxter
Final Fantasy 1 - 12
Wild ARMs
Tales of Symphonia/Graces f
Valkyria Chronicles
Ni No Kuni
F-Zero GX

Basically yeah, "any other game" is right.
#103Teh_TiltyuPosted 2/1/2013 9:29:04 AM
wario land
---
http://i.imgur.com/kGwpi.png
#104darkbeamPosted 2/1/2013 9:32:37 AM
SHMYazoo posted...
darkbeam posted...
SHMYazoo posted...

PS: Blatant trolls will be ignored. Answers like "DMC1~4" or "any other game", without justification or any kind of elaboration, will be ignored as well.

so you want a complete review of what ever game gets listed as to convince you that its story is better?

i mean have you PLAYED any other games? like is DmC your first game you have ever played? have you even played in the ps1 era where games were made with the story being the main focus? what about the ps2 era that did the same for the most part? what about the gamecube that had a huge selection of story driven games, the gameboy advance?

i mean there are even anime series with better writing than this drivel (if you want an example, full metal alchemist: brotherhood, code geass, gundam 00 to name 3)

i think you are the one that should supply proof as to what games this game beats with its story, not the other way around as there are so many games out there that are written better that it would take 3 full years to write a full description for each and every one

I don't know what world you're living in, but outside of RPGs, there were VERY FEW games that even attempted a story back in the PS1 era and before. Also, your reading comprehension is lacking because I clearly meant that you needed to elaborate for those two types of answers only, as they'd easy troll answers.

No, DmC is not the first game I played. Why is it so hard to understand that people have differing opinions?

what is really hard to understand is how you just said very few games attempted story in the ps1 era

i mean i wasnt sure if you were a troll before, now i can confirm it to my self without a shadow of a doubt because you CLEARLY never played any of those games or grew up on that system
#105WhySoLimpPosted 2/1/2013 9:50:13 AM
sjwho2 posted...
Any game ever.
#106Dark_EpathyPosted 2/1/2013 10:47:28 AM
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2

The second I saw this in your list, my eyes widened.

NGS2 has a better story than DmC? NGS2?

That game doesn't have a story. It throws out a MacGuffin as an excuse for Ryu to globe-trot and kill a bunch of demons.

I love it, of course. But let's be real here.
---
~@_@~
Why are you people so hung up on what's canon or not? - freakazaa
#107robot777Posted 2/1/2013 10:52:27 AM
Street Fighter series, King Of Fighters series, Final Fantasy Series, Kingdom Hearts series, 1943, 1942, Son-Son, Azure Dreams, SaGa, Golden Sun, Resident Evil

ALL of those have a deeper storyline than DMC1-4 AND DmC.
---
PSN: Jordan_Sifu SSFIVAE (Makoto, Evil Ryu)
www.youtube.com/mr6ixty4our My SSFIVAE Channel.
#108TopdrunkeePosted 2/1/2013 2:31:26 PM
I can't believe that this is actually being contested.
DmC's plot only comes off as deep if you're one of those rebellious anarchists blowhard contrarians who hate & oppose all authority.

As for games with much better plots,
Suikoden 2, does the whole rivalry between friends, & family angle much better than DmC did. DmC doesn't take the time to lay out a convincing case for the opposing factions.
Suiko 2 actually spent the first half of the game show casing how each side dealt with the main bad guy with the two teaming up to kill Luca Blight only for the real conflict of ideals & morals between the differing factions to rise up in the foreground of Suiko 2's plot.

Tactics Ogre LUCT, a game that's entirely composed of gray morality. It also has one of the better cases of PTSD showcased within a videogame. (Lans)

Metal Gear Solid 2 does much better social commentary than DmC, especially when it uses Raiden as an avatar to represent the average gamer as effeminate, whiny & a loser, LOL!

Persona 2 Eternal Punishment & Innocent Sin. A series of games that relates the morals of becoming a stronger individual by sustaining through the hardships of losing everyone & everything that you loved.

Fallout 1 & 2, more so the original. The original Fallout was about the recreation of a civilized human civilization. FO2 was the continuation of that theme.

A lot of these games actually spent several hours of build up on their plots. Whereas in DmC a lot of the build up only happens in one scene and then I'm supposed to believe that they suddenly changed.
It's a writing technique that a lot of Western gaming productions rely on.
I remember levying similar criticisms towards that darling of story telling known as Dreamfall The Longest Journey where some fundamentalist religious assassin has a change of heart simply because some liberal bum slut scolded him once, LOL!

It's just annoying how I always have to hear about these Western games that supposedly have deep stories when barely any of these games ever take the time to explore the themes & subjects that they're supposedly pontificating about.
Take Ass Effect for example. Those games supposedly explore racism and sexual identity when all it amounts to is a pansexual attitude towards sex, LOL! Biowhore always gets to me because of how perverted and childish their general world view seems to be towards intimate relationships. Dragon Age 2 was the worst, although Ass Effect 3 is almost as bad.

Everytime I see imbeciles wax on poetically about how DEEP Bioshock, Grand Theft Auto 4, Red Dead Redemption (Surprisingly, Max Payne 3's plot was actually okay.), Ass Effect, Heavy Rain, Walking Dead (GOTY), and all this other crap are. It just makes me want to ask, what literature have you bozos ever read? A lot of whats passes off as literary within most Western games often comes off as a brief glance for themes at wikipedia that then proceeded to go down a bullet point check list to make sure that the game has enough thematic elements so it could conceivably be categorized within a similar body of literature that the piece of **** game wishes to be grouped along side with.

It's nauseating because you see games like Suikoden 2 that easily has a plot that could kick the crap out of most modern games when all Suiko really does is Westernize classic Chinese folk tales into a Western fantasy back drop.
However the case, that's still much more preferable than what often passes off as literary from most Western tripe, like Heavy Rain.
A game where you can tell that whomever wrote it has a painfully lackluster literary background.
Chris Avelonne is practically the lone Western game author who seems to actually read for fun because you can usually pinpoint where his influences came from just from the way that he pens his dialogue.
The Witcher 2 is also another good example of Western writing.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/BoozeAholic
#109ninja_poopPosted 2/1/2013 2:38:24 PM
I approve tc
---
Not changing my signature until marijuana is legalized. Monday, January 18, 2010, 8:08 PM
-11.06.12 Colorado becomes the first state
#110darkdragon_9600Posted 2/1/2013 3:11:45 PM(edited)
/rant.

Any more rage and you might turn into the Hulk
---
Can I haz cheezburger?