Tell me about games that have a deeper storyline than DmC. [spoilers ahead]

#21GujinKamiPosted 1/31/2013 11:46:21 AM(edited)
Borderlands, because you go through each areas learning about a new enemy, building up to face said enemy, and when you get to the end to receive your reward the reward was just another fight all along

40x deeper than Eff You May Cry, like the story was written by Shakespeare and Kojima themselves.
---
~Gujin
http://i39.tinypic.com/v830c3.jpg http://i45.tinypic.com/34o99hk.jpg http://i49.tinypic.com/23j1t9z.gif
#22SHMYazoo(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2013 11:48:28 AM
Dark_Epathy posted...
Are we talking depth or quality? Because they're two different things.

I can probably safely say the Silent Hill games--barring maybe Origins or Homecoming or the original, and even those are hesitant--are deeper than DmC. They all explore fairly mature, psychological issues. SH2 and Shattered Memories, in particular, are notable for how they handle themes of grief, reconciliation, and domestic violence.

The storytelling, however, is not necessarily fantastic. The SH games typically suffer from awkward pacing and reliance upon notes and memos.

In terms of quality, I'd say DmC is decent. It could have been much more developed. I look to something like the first three Yakuza games when I want to talk about quality storytelling. They're a little cliched, but you get good character development and great pacing, for the most part.

I should probably make it clear, I'm asking for quality. Depth doesn't mean greatness, obviously. A great example of this would be the Kingdom Hearts series which lacked depth in the beginning and had a very emotional and good story and went on to the point it now has more depth than most other games around and is just bad, in my opinion.

That whole Organization XIII and Roxas, Ventus, Sora is just absurd...
---
Aion is just like all other WoW clones, I mean, the Mage in Aion has a Fireball spell and can make Portals. WoW ANYONE??? - Aion Boards
#23GujinKamiPosted 1/31/2013 11:49:30 AM

Wait, you find the O13 absurd, yet you enjoy the DmC story? What the hell?
---
~Gujin
http://i39.tinypic.com/v830c3.jpg http://i45.tinypic.com/34o99hk.jpg http://i49.tinypic.com/23j1t9z.gif
#24UbberDevilPosted 1/31/2013 11:49:39 AM
Jake and Daxter series (first 3 games), Legacy of Kain, Legend of Zelda with its 3 timeliness, Okami had a simple premise but many interesting characters and how it was executed was well done. Killer 7 was probably Capcom's last game with a deep story.
---
Q- if Satan is the prince of darkness, who's the king?
A- UbberDevil, and Sparda is my Queen. GT: MongooseDave2
#25SHMYazoo(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2013 11:49:41 AM
Dark_Epathy posted...
Are we talking depth or quality? Because they're two different things.

I can probably safely say the Silent Hill games--barring maybe Origins or Homecoming or the original, and even those are hesitant--are deeper than DmC. They all explore fairly mature, psychological issues. SH2 and Shattered Memories, in particular, are notable for how they handle themes of grief, reconciliation, and domestic violence.

The storytelling, however, is not necessarily fantastic. The SH games typically suffer from awkward pacing and reliance upon notes and memos.

In terms of quality, I'd say DmC is decent. It could have been much more developed. I look to something like the first three Yakuza games when I want to talk about quality storytelling. They're a little cliched, but you get good character development and great pacing, for the most part.

How are the Yakuza games by the way? People always say I should play them for the PS3, but I never got the chance.
---
Aion is just like all other WoW clones, I mean, the Mage in Aion has a Fireball spell and can make Portals. WoW ANYONE??? - Aion Boards
#26SHMYazoo(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2013 11:51:29 AM
GujinKami posted...

Wait, you find the O13 absurd, yet you enjoy the DmC story? What the hell?

No, I find the Organization XIII fine, my probably is the mess they created with Sora's different personalities and Nobodies and all that stuff on top of O13. It seriously is a mess after Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep, in my opinion. I didn't get the chance to play the 3DS game.
---
#27darkdragon_9600Posted 1/31/2013 11:52:08 AM
Better and deeper? A big part of how deep DmC is how the story ties together on paper, but it's rather poor and too much on your face, leaving very little depth to it.

RDR has a better story without using the "This character represents this" trope, while making the characters have some depth and motivation. John is focused and simple, regrets his past and wants to move on, being forced to confront his old friends for it.

Jack is hot headed and thirsty for vengeance, the police is actually corrupt and so on. But all characters have great reasons for this, and the story has impact.

Heck, I'd say Gears of War can be seen as better than this. While not necessary deeper (even if knowing the whole series it has a good amount of depth), it's atmosphere does all the job in showing how the world is, and the characters are well written, showing how they see the world and how much of a threat the Locust differently.

DmC has some depth on it's plot, but it's really lacking when it comes to the characters, becoming a mess where Demons are apparently deeper and more caring than humans. It doesn't know if they want the "The antagonist is baaaaad" type of plot or the "The antagonist is deeeeeep and has his own reasons to be like that" type. And they don't mix well. Same goes for the protagonists.
---
Can I haz cheezburger?
#28SHMYazoo(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2013 11:58:11 AM
darkdragon_9600 posted...
Better and deeper? A big part of how deep DmC is how the story ties together on paper, but it's rather poor and too much on your face, leaving very little depth to it.

RDR has a better story without using the "This character represents this" trope, while making the characters have some depth and motivation. John is focused and simple, regrets his past and wants to move on, being forced to confront his old friends for it.

Jack is hot headed and thirsty for vengeance, the police is actually corrupt and so on. But all characters have great reasons for this, and the story has impact.

Heck, I'd say Gears of War can be seen as better than this. While not necessary deeper (even if knowing the whole series it has a good amount of depth), it's atmosphere does all the job in showing how the world is, and the characters are well written, showing how they see the world and how much of a threat the Locust differently.

DmC has some depth on it's plot, but it's really lacking when it comes to the characters, becoming a mess where Demons are apparently deeper and more caring than humans. It doesn't know if they want the "The antagonist is baaaaad" type of plot or the "The antagonist is deeeeeep and has his own reasons to be like that" type. And they don't mix well. Same goes for the protagonists.

It's always been a theme throughout the series that some men had no feelings at all while devils could even cry (heh!) depending on the situation. Seeing Mundus at the end asking Dante why did they kill his child, showing Lillith begging for her baby's life to Dante, was part of that. Not everything was as black and white as people perceived it to be. Even Phineas when talking to Dante said that it was all a matter of perspective, since Dante thought he was bad because he was a demon.
---
#29darkdragon_9600Posted 1/31/2013 12:10:32 PM
darkdragon_9600 posted...

It's always been a theme throughout the series that some men had no feelings at all while devils could even cry (heh!) depending on the situation. Seeing Mundus at the end asking Dante why did they kill his child, showing Lillith begging for her baby's life to Dante, was part of that. Not everything was as black and white as people perceived it to be. Even Phineas when talking to Dante said that it was all a matter of perspective, since Dante thought he was bad because he was a demon.

Yeah, but the big thing was how ALL humans seemed bland. Kat had that one scene where she was scared, but other than that she never meant anything. The fat guy on the street did nothing. The Order wasn't even there, to say the truth.

Nephilims also didn't have that much depth, and they're the protagonists.

While the older games at least would go as far as to show that the shy girl would be willing to sacrifice herself, the religious figures where power hungry and such. They where human because they lacked some human qualities but excelled on others, while DmC doesn't really use this. The humans just come out as empty =\
---
Can I haz cheezburger?
#30SephirothDZXPosted 1/31/2013 12:12:33 PM
Pretty much the entire Metal Gear franchise is better written than DmC