Tell me about games that have a deeper storyline than DmC. [spoilers ahead]

#31vhunter14Posted 1/31/2013 12:12:54 PM
Widah and deeepaah.

Black ops 2 xD
---
Official Nemesis Of the UMVC3 Board...S.T.A.R.S.
#32SHMYazoo(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2013 12:19:15 PM(edited)
darkdragon_9600 posted...
darkdragon_9600 posted...
Better and deeper? A big part of how deep DmC is how the story ties together on paper, but it's rather poor and too much on your face, leaving very little depth to it.

RDR has a better story without using the "This character represents this" trope, while making the characters have some depth and motivation. John is focused and simple, regrets his past and wants to move on, being forced to confront his old friends for it.

Jack is hot headed and thirsty for vengeance, the police is actually corrupt and so on. But all characters have great reasons for this, and the story has impact.

Heck, I'd say Gears of War can be seen as better than this. While not necessary deeper (even if knowing the whole series it has a good amount of depth), it's atmosphere does all the job in showing how the world is, and the characters are well written, showing how they see the world and how much of a threat the Locust differently.

DmC has some depth on it's plot, but it's really lacking when it comes to the characters, becoming a mess where Demons are apparently deeper and more caring than humans. It doesn't know if they want the "The antagonist is baaaaad" type of plot or the "The antagonist is deeeeeep and has his own reasons to be like that" type. And they don't mix well. Same goes for the protagonists.

It's always been a theme throughout the series that some men had no feelings at all while devils could even cry (heh!) depending on the situation. Seeing Mundus at the end asking Dante why did they kill his child, showing Lillith begging for her baby's life to Dante, was part of that. Not everything was as black and white as people perceived it to be. Even Phineas when talking to Dante said that it was all a matter of perspective, since Dante thought he was bad because he was a demon.

Yeah, but the big thing was how ALL humans seemed bland. Kat had that one scene where she was scared, but other than that she never meant anything. The fat guy on the street did nothing. The Order wasn't even there, to say the truth.

Nephilims also didn't have that much depth, and they're the protagonists.

While the older games at least would go as far as to show that the shy girl would be willing to sacrifice herself, the religious figures where power hungry and such. They where human because they lacked some human qualities but excelled on others, while DmC doesn't really use this. The humans just come out as empty =\

I also felt it was intentional as well how the "real world" was bland looking. If you notice in the beginning of that mission that is also presented in the demo, the real world is completely grey, colorless, while Limbo is very colorful.

The humans are drones and only when Limbo collapses with the real world, when people "awaken" to the presence of demons and start to think for themselves, is that the color you see in Limbo gets to the real world.

I think it was a nice touch, again, not original, but a well done, in my opinion of course. I liked the humans being bad, devils being good sometimes in past DMCs, but I think the characters were very bland. Lady was probably the most developed character in the past DMC games, in my opinion.
---
Aion is just like all other WoW clones, I mean, the Mage in Aion has a Fireball spell and can make Portals. WoW ANYONE??? - Aion Boards
#33SHMYazoo(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2013 12:18:33 PM(edited)
SephirothDZX posted...
Pretty much the entire Metal Gear franchise is better written than DmC

Metal Gear is one of the few franchises I'd say that have a great story as well. It's too convoluted at times, but it's great. The 4 main games of the Metal Gear franchise are just one of the finest works in gaming.
---
Aion is just like all other WoW clones, I mean, the Mage in Aion has a Fireball spell and can make Portals. WoW ANYONE??? - Aion Boards
#34KaptainK00lPosted 1/31/2013 12:18:47 PM
I honestly don't see how Yazoo keeps getting labeled as a troll,
---
GT: iKaptain K00Li
''Be silent. Keep your forked tongue behind your teeth. I did not pass through fire and death to bandy crooked words with a witless worm.''
#35darkbeamPosted 1/31/2013 12:19:18 PM
SHMYazoo posted...

PS: Blatant trolls will be ignored. Answers like "DMC1~4" or "any other game", without justification or any kind of elaboration, will be ignored as well.

so you want a complete review of what ever game gets listed as to convince you that its story is better?

i mean have you PLAYED any other games? like is DmC your first game you have ever played? have you even played in the ps1 era where games were made with the story being the main focus? what about the ps2 era that did the same for the most part? what about the gamecube that had a huge selection of story driven games, the gameboy advance?

i mean there are even anime series with better writing than this drivel (if you want an example, full metal alchemist: brotherhood, code geass, gundam 00 to name 3)

i think you are the one that should supply proof as to what games this game beats with its story, not the other way around as there are so many games out there that are written better that it would take 3 full years to write a full description for each and every one
#36bigdom93Posted 1/31/2013 12:19:28 PM
I don't know about the original 4 but I know .hack//G.U. is very deep and has excellent story telling.
#37darkdragon_9600Posted 1/31/2013 12:20:26 PM(edited)
I also felt it was intentional as well how the "real world" was bland looking. If you notice in the beginning of that mission that is presented in the demo, the real world is completely grey, colorless, while Limbo is very colorful.

The humans are drones and only when Limbo collapses with the real world, when people "awaken" to the presence of demons and start to think for themselves, is that the color you see in Limbo gets to the real world.

I think it was a nice touch, again, not original, but a well done, in my opinion of course. I liked the humans being bad, devils being good sometimes in past DMCs, but I think the characters were very bland. Lady was probably the most developed character in the past DMC games, in my opinion.

Ah, yes. It does gives off that vibe, but it conflicts with the bouncer or that one stripper. It's just that humans have this spontaneous burst of life in one moment, and then it's gone. The twitter bit does make humans seem more alive, but then we see Kat and she's the same wooden plank she's been for a while. There's little of the humans...and then we have humans. Oh, human did something. Yeah, no more humans.

The characters seem to suffer from massive mood swings lol
---
Can I haz cheezburger?
#38darkdragon_9600Posted 1/31/2013 12:21:18 PM
I don't know about the original 4 but I know .hack//G.U. is very deep and has excellent story telling.

I have .hack//G.U. here. 1, 2 and 3, but never really touched them >.> Are they any good?
---
Can I haz cheezburger?
#39God_of_GorePosted 1/31/2013 12:23:29 PM
So much bad taste in this thread....

Anyway to answer TC's question: Mass Effect, the Witcher 2, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Uncharted (mainly just the characters with this one), and Dragon Age Origins.

All of these games are far more well written than DmC. Mind you i found DmC to be fun as hell and the story is miles better than anything found in the previous games but these are the games that have better stories than DmC.
#40SHMYazoo(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2013 12:29:29 PM
darkbeam posted...
SHMYazoo posted...

PS: Blatant trolls will be ignored. Answers like "DMC1~4" or "any other game", without justification or any kind of elaboration, will be ignored as well.

so you want a complete review of what ever game gets listed as to convince you that its story is better?

i mean have you PLAYED any other games? like is DmC your first game you have ever played? have you even played in the ps1 era where games were made with the story being the main focus? what about the ps2 era that did the same for the most part? what about the gamecube that had a huge selection of story driven games, the gameboy advance?

i mean there are even anime series with better writing than this drivel (if you want an example, full metal alchemist: brotherhood, code geass, gundam 00 to name 3)

i think you are the one that should supply proof as to what games this game beats with its story, not the other way around as there are so many games out there that are written better that it would take 3 full years to write a full description for each and every one

I don't know what world you're living in, but outside of RPGs, there were VERY FEW games that even attempted a story back in the PS1 era and before. Also, your reading comprehension is lacking because I clearly meant that you needed to elaborate for those two types of answers only, as they'd easy troll answers.

No, DmC is not the first game I played. Why is it so hard to understand that people have differing opinions?
---