Zeropunctuation DmC review is surprisingly positive!?

#41VaruneyPosted 2/1/2013 8:35:44 PM
DevilKnight posted...
So either hardly anyone in here has an understanding of Yahtzee's use of metaphorical tangents in his pacing, and to what degree he's genuinely swayed by different aspects of a game; or they're so determined to support their pre-existing notions about the game that they'll do whichever cognitive gymnastics are necessary to align his words with their side.

Enlighten us.
---
*Wubeth Intensifies*
#42rice_noodlesPosted 2/1/2013 8:38:09 PM
DevilKnight posted...
So either hardly anyone in here has an understanding of Yahtzee's use of metaphorical tangents in his pacing, and to what degree he's genuinely swayed by different aspects of a game; or they're so determined to support their pre-existing notions about the game that they'll do whichever cognitive gymnastics are necessary to align his words with their side.

I can practically play bull**** bingo with this post.
#43SilentS89Posted 2/1/2013 10:11:59 PM
SilentS89 posted...
DevilKnight posted...

Since we clearly don't understand the review, can you please explain it to us so we don't have to do cognitive gymnastics?

Still want to know.
#44DevilKnightPosted 2/1/2013 10:53:52 PM
The substance in the video is that he found the story elements trite (and if he felt stronger about it he would have picked at it in more detail), a small gripe about closed-off level progression, he likes the combat and aesthetics enough to recommend the game but the scaled-back challenge may be a sticking point and the large scale boss fights are industry standard weaksauce.

Usually when Yahtzee is annoyed by something he will pick away at it in a way where it's clearly not an aside, and the only thing where he really did that was the boss fights.

Also more generally, he's not within a demographic that has reasons not to be able to enjoy the game. He's not particularly attached to the original series and character, he doesn't have a taste for typical Japanesey stylization, he cares little for the technical ceilings of complex gameplay systems like in his fighting game reviews. Although as something of a game design enthusiast, he appreciates an accessible but consistent difficulty curve that gradually builds up the challenge.

So like most users outside the typical action genre fandom, he rates the game probably somewhere around the 7-8/10 range.

Some want to twist the boat metaphor as an analogous way to take back the recommendation comment, but it really just exists as derailment for a crude metaphor.
#45VaruneyPosted 2/2/2013 7:40:40 AM
DevilKnight posted...
The substance in the video is that he found the story elements trite (and if he felt stronger about it he would have picked at it in more detail), a small gripe about closed-off level progression, he likes the combat and aesthetics enough to recommend the game but the scaled-back challenge may be a sticking point and the large scale boss fights are industry standard weaksauce.

Usually when Yahtzee is annoyed by something he will pick away at it in a way where it's clearly not an aside, and the only thing where he really did that was the boss fights.

Also more generally, he's not within a demographic that has reasons not to be able to enjoy the game. He's not particularly attached to the original series and character, he doesn't have a taste for typical Japanesey stylization, he cares little for the technical ceilings of complex gameplay systems like in his fighting game reviews. Although as something of a game design enthusiast, he appreciates an accessible but consistent difficulty curve that gradually builds up the challenge.

So like most users outside the typical action genre fandom, he rates the game probably somewhere around the 7-8/10 range.

Some want to twist the boat metaphor as an analogous way to take back the recommendation comment, but it really just exists as derailment for a crude metaphor.

I apologize for our rude behavior DevilKnight. Please understand that we are weary of the trolls who ceaselessly try to force ourselves to question our sanity. Anyways, I see your point, however, your post implies familiarity with this Yahtzee fellow. I would just like to point out that the most of us who responded to your post were unfamiliar with Yahtzee's methods. This was the first time I've heard of him and also, the first time I watched a review of his.

P.S
I apologize for the late reply. I thought I could settle with 10 post per day, but clearly I was wrong.
---
*Wubeth Intensifies*
#46StrelokPosted 2/2/2013 8:10:17 AM
The way it was described it definitely was *NOT* high praise... at all...
---
Goodbye Bubbles, dearest of pets. I'll miss you, always. 2nd June 2004 - 22nd August 2009
http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l493/TTripweed/Haiguyz.jpg