Check out my DmC combo videos!

#111penance1(Topic Creator)Posted 2/1/2013 12:53:08 AM(edited)
Yeah its not up to standards with 3 and 4, I think we've covered that already. Also, im not too hot about putting 100 jump cancels and whip spam in my combos. With that being said, yeah, some are pretty meh. Especially my first few. My goal with them was to show off a few combos using only 1 weapon type.

Im quite proud of everything beyond UFO though. I keep it short so I can add each individual combo in at any point. Hence why quite a few of my combos start with Osiris's Streak or Prop and why they may feel lacking.

Its hard to show off a combo on one enemy and make it seem exciting. Though they can be pretty fast paced and epic. Some of the loading screens ones are a good example of that.
---
Official Darui of the NUNSG Board
PSN-- Twilight09 XBL-- TwilightHD
#12Pesmerga255Posted 2/1/2013 12:50:54 AM
TenchiHawkwing posted...
Anyone else feel like the game is just too slow for the combos to really be exciting?

I do.
---
I JUST KEEP BURNNING LOVE!
#13TenchiHawkwingPosted 2/1/2013 12:51:44 AM
1penance1 posted...
Yeah its not up to standards with 3 and 4, I think we've covered that already. Also, im not too hot about putting 100 jump cancels in my combos. With that being said, yeah, some are pretty meh. Especially my first few. My goal with them was to show off a few combos using only 1 weapon type. Im quite proud of everything beyond UFO though. Its hard to show off a combo on one enemy and make it seem exciting. Though they can be pretty fast paced and epic. Some of the loading screens ones are a good example of that

Not really coming at it from that angle, I enjoy playing the game but even though your combos are mechanically interesting... the videos are just kind of boring to watch through no fault of your own.
---
-Signature.
#14Psychochild27Posted 2/1/2013 12:53:26 AM
TenchiHawkwing posted...
Anyone else feel like the game is just too slow for the combos to really be exciting?

Nah. DMC3 ran at the same clip, this is simply rather rudimentary stuff. Ultimeson's got a few interesting things out of it so far, especially https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55xnoNkHxFc at the 57 second mark.
#151penance1(Topic Creator)Posted 2/1/2013 12:57:55 AM
Psychochild27 posted...
TenchiHawkwing posted...

Nah. DMC3 ran at the same clip, this is simply rather rudimentary stuff. Ultimeson's got a few interesting things out of it so far, especially https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55xnoNkHxFc at the 57 second mark.

He also uses at least 20 jump cancels per combo, which is exactly what Im trying to avoid, but I see that I should be welcoming it since spamming jump cancels make combos "exciting". I'll see what I can come up with.
---
#16TenchiHawkwingPosted 2/1/2013 12:59:12 AM
Psychochild27 posted...
TenchiHawkwing posted...

Color me impressed, that's the first stylish and cool DMC combo video I've seen and I've actually been trying to find them.
Gives me some ideas to try to incorporate into my own play. Thanks for the link!
---
-Signature.
#17Psychochild27Posted 2/1/2013 1:13:47 AM(edited)
1penance1 posted...
Psychochild27 posted...
TenchiHawkwing posted...

He also uses at least 20 jump cancels per combo, which is exactly what Im trying to avoid, but I see that I should be welcoming it since spamming jump cancels make combos "exciting". I'll see what I can come up with.

Why would you want to limit yourself and not explore the combat system to the fullest if you want to produce combo videos other than laziness? You don't need to spam jump cancels for fifteen minutes straight to be entertaining and impress people, but you need to be able to perform the basics (Which jump canceling is pretty much nowadays) and do a lot better than constantly dropping enemies out of clumsy looking combos that look like something I was doing under the first ten minutes of playing the demo just trying to get a feel for the game, you know?
#18Hiryuu_TsurugiPosted 2/1/2013 1:11:37 AM
I think the reason the jump cancels seem more exciting is because they speed the gameplay up considerably, and provide a better notion of being in control of the enemy and situation. The problem I see with some of your combos is that they allow the enemy to drop and remain grounded for too long as you charge up another move/prepare to use a move with slower prep time, which seems like it would leave you too open to being interrupted when trying to be stylish in an actual gameplay setting.

Not off to a bad start though as far as ideas.
---
GT: FroznLockz, PSN: SpectreAlpha
"Tatakai no naka ni, kotai wo aru."
#191penance1(Topic Creator)Posted 2/1/2013 1:19:19 AM(edited)
@Psycho Because I didnt want to become the guy that spams whips and jump cancels and does nothing else. I tried to find cool tricks and chains. Exploring the holding abilities of the Aquila and such. The first major combo video I saw was by Ultimeson and it was his DmC combo Mad demo. I hated how all he really did was Osiris jump cancel loops. That put me off to jump cancelling. Having seen his new version, which I was unaware of up until now, I see that there is more to it that that. Give me a few days. I'll put out something worthwhile

And actually all of those fully combo, believe it or not. Quake and Rain was sketchy in a few places but I didnt feel like rerecording. You are probably referring to Quake I think where I did a helmbreaker backwards and missed the enemy. I did that to fall faster so I had enough time to charge Round Trip. Also, not many people watch my videos if you havent noticed by now. That kinda puts a mental dampener on what I consider YT worthy.

Btw I appreciate the criticism. However harsh it may be... On YT I get that these combos are pretty impressive. DmC Official even liked a few. They are apparently mistaken or you guys are just really harsh lol
---
#20Psychochild27Posted 2/1/2013 1:42:11 AM(edited)
1penance1 posted...
@Psycho Because I didnt want to become the guy that spams whips and jump cancels and does nothing else. I tried to find cool tricks and chains. Exploring the holding abilities of the Aquila and such. The first major combo video I saw was by Ultimeson and it was his DmC combo Mad demo. I hated how all he really did was Osiris jump cancel loops. That put me off to jump cancelling. Having seen his new version, which I was unaware of up until now, I see that there is more to it that that. Give me a few days. I'll put out something worthwhile

If that's the case, don't do combo videos. Combo videos typically invite comparison to other players with much higher technical expertise. Off the top of my head, check out Top Breeder for inspiration. He doesn't do super big crazy combo videos, but rather tends to choreograph boss fights to such an exhaustive extent that they remain entertaining from start to... well, he has a nasty habit of not knowing when to pack it up and call it a day (He has a 20 minute long video just on parrying Doppleganger's orbs in DMC3 for God's sakes), but he's certainly something else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8CSHBNa1nY&feature=channel_video_title
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGmOUB-Kd1M

Hell, one of the best DMC videos I've ever seen was a Dante vs. Dante fight in DMC4 where the player had broken down the fight mechanics to such an amazing extent that if the boss weren't the black shadow Dante and you had the lock-on icon on-screen, you'd be hard-pressed to tell which was the player and which was the boss because he had CPU Dante "Trained" so well. They were dashing around each other, just releasing each other's releases, at one point he even manipulated CPU Dante to dash and seek cover behind these ice statues in the Graveyard in DMC4 while the player blasted his cover away with the Shotgun. It was choreographed better than DMC4's fight scenes and it's the biggest ****ing shame in the world it doesn't exist on Youtube anymore.

Mind you, this still requires a lot more effort than you might be willing to invest and unfortunately, DmC doesn't lend itself too well to that sort of thing outside maybe the spawn and Vergil? Either which way, it's a huge commitment if you want to produce something people will want to see.

Btw I appreciate the criticism. However harsh it may be... On YT I get that these combos are pretty impressive. DmC Official even liked a few. They are apparently mistaken or you guys are just really harsh lol

People on Youtube like everything.