Game mechanics

#1Jiyuu FalconPosted 2/2/2013 9:56:20 PM
So I'm actually interested in this game's mechanics. To start things, I saw in an old topic that you cannot cancel attacks into dodges. Previously, you could not cancel in the middle of the attack animation, but you could during recovery. What about now? What (other) things function differently from their counterparts from the earlier games?
#2syctheweilderPosted 2/2/2013 9:57:05 PM
This ain't gonna be pretty...
#3DJ_0000Posted 2/2/2013 10:00:33 PM
Yeah, you can cancel attacks into dodges, the only ones you can't do this with are the Arbiter /Erynx weapons.
#4Jiyuu Falcon(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2013 10:01:44 PM
syctheweilder posted...
This ain't gonna be pretty...

Oh, come on. I'm not asking which is better or worse. It shouldn't be that bad.
#5QCTeamkillPosted 2/2/2013 10:19:02 PM
I've seen a combo video before release and the guy was doing JC with dodge (no directional input, backflip animation) instead of jump.
#6Jiyuu Falcon(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2013 10:27:43 PM
So the no-dodge thing exists, but is weapon-specific.

...Is it too early to make this sort of topic, though? Let the game sit for a few months or so first? I think I kinda jumped the gun.
#7sjwho2Posted 2/2/2013 11:07:30 PM
Jiyuu Falcon posted...
So the no-dodge thing exists, but is weapon-specific.

...Is it too early to make this sort of topic, though? Let the game sit for a few months or so first? I think I kinda jumped the gun.

You can't cancel into dodge with any weapon. The animation must go through and such.

You can jump cancel into another attack and there is a glich to gain height that way, but JC'ing really isn't as useful or worth doing in DmC.
#8RayconPosted 2/2/2013 11:15:55 PM
Jiyuu Falcon posted...
So I'm actually interested in this game's mechanics. To start things, I saw in an old topic that you cannot cancel attacks into dodges. Previously, you could not cancel in the middle of the attack animation, but you could during recovery. What about now? What (other) things function differently from their counterparts from the earlier games?

Wait, hold on... How do you cancel attacks into dodges in the old games?
---
"Clue in, girl! Get in that trap room and grab that battery while I, a bad-ass convict, play this beautiful piano melody."-MorphineChild on REŘ
#9Jiyuu Falcon(Topic Creator)Posted 2/3/2013 12:06:02 AM
Raycon posted...
Wait, hold on... How do you cancel attacks into dodges in the old games?

During the recovery period only, where you could cancel into almost anything. If you can cancel into a jump, you can cancel into a dodge (on the ground, of course, unless you count trickster dashes).
#10Farting_NewtPosted 2/3/2013 12:07:20 AM
The canceling mechanics actually act very similar to the old game. It's like you remember, you can't just roll out of a dans macabre you felt like going all the way through with--you can't just cancel a death blossom in DmC either. But you may shave half a second off the end of it.

The only game I've ever played where you can just dodge cancel any animation period was Bayonetta... and man is it glorious.

Enemy step is very easy to use in this game, I think it's more useful in this game as well due to things like Rake and Calibur. So that's one cancel that you can count on in air.