Every now and then, people post DMC4 > DmC

#21SilentS89Posted 2/3/2013 7:50:51 PM
SonikkuJ posted...
SilentS89 posted...
bobbysjoby posted...
Great gameplay doesn't mean its a great game. Had they made a full game it'd prolly be good but as it stands its basically half a game.

I'd take half a game over DmC.

Careful what you're getting at there. Capcom is probably so ready to spring disc-locked content on us again, because it was essentially a way to sell a complete game but convince us it was incomplete unless we ponied up some more dough. At least DmC is a sufficient offering in terms of content.

I was referring to DMC4 specifically, if I was unclear.

Don't muck up the games industry based on your aesthetic principles being offended alone.

Cool assumption bro.
#22megaultrarice34Posted 2/3/2013 7:51:14 PM
Doesn't matter, 49ers lost.

And DMC4>DmC.
---
PSN: OceanSupermarket
#23SonikkuJPosted 2/3/2013 7:54:15 PM(edited)
SilentS89 posted...
Cool assumption bro.

Just getting back into the swing of GameFAQs after nearly a years hiatus. :)

EDIT: And I know you were being clear. DMC4 was half a game, just like any disc-locked content game that Capcom released after it. Maybe there was no DLC for DMC4, but why not just release them as the status quo if people will pay as much for the base, incomplete product either way?
#24gamer6879403333Posted 2/3/2013 7:53:50 PM
It's funny how gamers always hate on games when they're the most recent and then start loving them once the next game comes out. I'd bet money that everyone is going to fondly recall DmC once the sequel comes out. Even a hypothetical DMC5 would probably be hated until another DMC came out and made everyone turn around and praise DMC5. Gamers are so... Predictable.
---
They shot a diamond made of iron at a car moving at 400 walls per hour-One of the dumbest sentences ever.
#25ShadowZero007Posted 2/3/2013 7:55:09 PM
gamer6879403333 posted...
It's funny how gamers always hate on games when they're the most recent and then start loving them once the next game comes out. I'd bet money that everyone is going to fondly recall DmC once the sequel comes out. Even a hypothetical DMC5 would probably be hated until another DMC came out and made everyone turn around and praise DMC5. Gamers are so... Predictable.

This trend is actually pretty true for the most part ;p
---
In my restless dreams I see that town...
#26SHMYazooPosted 2/3/2013 8:01:44 PM

You got it.

Happens even with the worst Sonic titles, so it definitely is going to happen with a game like DmC, which is a good game, in my opinion.
---
Aion is just like all other WoW clones, I mean, the Mage in Aion has a Fireball spell and can make Portals. WoW ANYONE??? - Aion Boards
#27SonikkuJPosted 2/3/2013 8:03:50 PM(edited)

Don't know. I definitely agree with you when it comes to Zelda and Final Fantasy, but old guard attitudes are still pretty vocal when it comes to just about everything else I think of that underwent relatively drastic change in design and aesthetic: Elder Scrolls, Fallout, XCOM.

As someone who's always appreciated fast, responsive, smooth gameplay (which was more often delivered by Japanese developers when I really started to appreciate gaming), I personally noticed a lot of dislike for the every idea of rebooting Tomb Raider before the Tomb Raider reboot was officially announced. I noticed it moreso than any excitement because I absolutely could not stand how clunky the older Tomb Raider games were, and never understood how people liked the games all that much (though as a teenage straight male, I was able to understand the appeal of the character design). A reboot sounded perfectly legit for that series, but the old school Tomb Raider fans seemed kind of upset about the very idea of it from what I saw. But ever since some footage came along, it seems like it's got a bit of excitement backing it now.

I guess I'm reminded of Metroid Prime when I write out this post as well... Japanese-to-Western development shift, and change in perspective. Most people remember that game quite fondly. I remember everyone of accusing it of trying to rip off Halo.
#28SonikkuJPosted 2/3/2013 8:09:37 PM
In any case, DmC's really hard to call. The reception of the game seems evenly split among people who actually play it, though it does feel like there's a ton of people that outright refuse to play the full game, which tends to mark up the vocal dislike of the game.

For me, it personally ends up being the second best Devil May Cry title ever released, right after 3. I personally got a bit more satisfaction from the higher challenge in DMC3, and thought the Dante in that game was the best version of Dante in the entire series personality-wise. I still like the new Dante overall, though, just not quite as much as 3's Dante.

In terms of overall genre (stylish action), Bayonetta > DMC3 > DmC as top 3 for me. I sadly have little experience with the Ninja Gaiden games. I played Black on my Xbox with a college roommate, but that wasn't entirely my own experience, so it's hard to really evaluate it on the same level.
#29DJ_0000Posted 2/3/2013 8:12:47 PM
I love DMC4, it's my favourite of the old series but for me DmC got rid of some of the annoyances I had with the old series, the lock on(though still not perfect), the fixed camera, bland environments, backtracking and recycling, etc. If only they'd have kept the general difficulty and challenging boss designs we'd be golden.
#30ShadowZero007Posted 2/3/2013 8:17:25 PM
DJ_0000 posted...
I love DMC4, it's my favourite of the old series but for me DmC got rid of some of the annoyances I had with the old series, the lock on(though still not perfect), the fixed camera, bland environments, backtracking and recycling, etc. If only they'd have kept the general difficulty and challenging boss designs we'd be golden.

This pretty much.

I don't mind repeated enemies when it's done well (DMC1.)
Or back tracking done well (DMC1)

But when it's so god damned lazily done and half assed (DMC4) well yeah; your combat system can be as amazing and technical as it wants but you're still giving me half a game >_> and that s*** don't fly. Imo.
---
In my restless dreams I see that town...