How come Star Trek didn't get this much hate?

#11SiLVeR_420Posted 2/3/2013 10:26:08 PM
SilentS89 posted...
RichterB17 posted...
they establish that it's an actual parallel universe.

That is a big one.

A big part of the story...

Also J.J. Abrams has never made a bad film.
---
Gamertag- youngSiLVeRstar
Forgive the name.
#12rice_noodlesPosted 2/3/2013 10:30:30 PM
Yeah I hate Star Trek's gameplay too.

Oh wait...
#13Hiryuu_TsurugiPosted 2/3/2013 10:37:46 PM
I imagine it's because the Star Trek revamp's creators treated both it's fanbase and it's source material with considerable respect, and managed to retain the feel and soul of where it came from, while establishing itself as fresh and modern.
---
GT: FroznLockz, PSN: SpectreAlpha
"Tatakai no naka ni, kotai wo aru."
#14SonikkuJPosted 2/3/2013 10:49:50 PM
RichterB17 posted...
Because Star Trek has been around since the 60's, the actors are old as hell, and they establish that it's an actual parallel universe.

I know a few long-time Trekkies that said they would have preferred if it was a completely separate universe because the fact that it's a parallel one actually means it can interact with and bleed into the classic universe.

DMC fans should be so lucky that DmC is a self-contained, completely separate universe. Similarities, perhaps, but we don't have to worry about weird cross-overs between old Dante and new Dante. Because all I can imagine is new Dante flipping old Dante the bird while old Dante scoffs, chuckles, and throws back a terrible one-liner that's linguistically just as trite or awful.

Though the grander speculation I'd like to share is that while DmC isn't an amazing seller or anything, I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of people that are buying it AND liking it are actually old-school DMC fans. I doubt much of it is actually series new blood. There's just a contingent of the fanbase that is holding out for their own personal reasons, though I can't actually qualify those reasons, as I don't belong to that group.
#15pika027Posted 2/3/2013 11:12:37 PM
SilentS89 posted...
The producer of Star Trek never claimed the old characters "weren't cool anymore".

They also didn't claim that "If i do my job right, you should be seeing a story of Dante that breaks the myth that all videogame stories are trite and will never stand up to the best that theatre and film have to offer." ~ Tameem Antonides

The big difference is that they respected the franchise. DmC and its creators didn't.

THIS
#16RichterB17Posted 2/3/2013 11:20:42 PM(edited)
Deadly_Rave posted...
I figured the Star Trek Reboot would get brought up on these boards someday. Anyway, as a HUGE Trek fan, all Iím going to say is that TC isnít entirely correct since the backlash towards the reboot was pretty crazy. Also, I actually liked the reboot and felt reboot Kirk did have a lot in common with classic Kirk, just younger and with a slightly different outlook thanks to an altered backstory because of Nero. I enjoyed that filmís take on Trek far more than Tameemís take on DMC.

Also, anyone hype for Into Darkness?

Not really, I liked the Star Trek Reboot and while I'm sure it will be a good movie I'm not exactly hyped for it. I'm not hyped for any movies coming out this year really : \ .

@SonikkuJ That's pretty understandable, but I don't see them doing that. They already did that with old Spock, but I think that's as far as they will go with lingering unto the past. Also remember DmC is supposed to be a parallel universe too, so it too could bleed in the Classic Franchise. We were almost fooled into believing it would at one point.
---
"They sowed their fate when they took this job.... I'm just the reaper" - Raiden