Just went back and played DMC1

#41RD_21Posted 2/4/2013 4:56:58 PM
To be honest I had only rented DMC once or twice back in the day so I don't have any nostalgia goggle. I bought the collection last year and played DMC halfway and all the time I was expecting better control like in Bayonetta or other games of the genre. It really felt dated when I played it, so I too, without having played DmC yet, have a hard time understanding the people who praise the first one as being so good still and saying it's better than DmC.

I wanted to play 2 and 3, but now I'm scared because people say 2 is bad and one just said that 3 combat was as good as 1 and I wasn't impressed by that, having been spoiled by modern games of the genre.
#42ishamail24(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2013 4:59:53 PM
RD_21 posted...
To be honest I had only rented DMC once or twice back in the day so I don't have any nostalgia goggle. I bought the collection last year and played DMC halfway and all the time I was expecting better control like in Bayonetta or other games of the genre. It really felt dated when I played it, so I too, without having played DmC yet, have a hard time understanding the people who praise the first one as being so good still and saying it's better than DmC.

I wanted to play 2 and 3, but now I'm scared because people say 2 is bad and one just said that 3 combat was as good as 1 and I wasn't impressed by that, having been spoiled by modern games of the genre.

The controller layout is about the same in 3 as it was in 1 but the game controls very differently. It's smoother faster and for the love of god you can shoot your guns without a lock on.
---
I wouldn't mind you in my head if you weren't so clearly mad.
#43RD_21Posted 2/4/2013 5:00:15 PM
ScreamingMidget posted...
Lol @ fanboys ignoring the fact that DMC1 HD fixed the controls.

If you call that fixed then I don't want to know how it was before. The control are not AWFUL, but they are dated and it was made especially evident after playing newer games in the genre.
#44ishamail24(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2013 5:01:17 PM
ishamail24 posted...
RD_21 posted...

The controller layout is about the same in 3 as it was in 1 but the game controls very differently. It's smoother faster and for the love of god you can shoot your guns without a lock on.

I meant the controller layout is about the same since you're playing te hd collection.
---
#45paranormalistPosted 2/4/2013 5:02:36 PM
RD_21 posted...

Do NOT pass on 3. It tops all other DMCs and DmC in every department (action, weapon variance, replayability, challenge, dialogue) except graphics.
---
Because I care.
#46scorch109Posted 2/4/2013 5:03:20 PM
Being a much slower paced game is not the same as having bad controls or controls that aren't tight. Even with the slower gameplay DMC1 has the best atmosphere, enemies, and bosses in the series.
---
"The Bible is probably the most genocidal book ever written." Noam Chomsky
#47ishamail24(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2013 5:11:12 PM
scorch109 posted...
Being a much slower paced game is not the same as having bad controls or controls that aren't tight. Even with the slower gameplay DMC1 has the best atmosphere, enemies, and bosses in the series.

Ill agree with most on that. But i still say dmc1s controls are clunky by today's standards. And the bosses being the best debatable but they are some of the best anyway.
---
#48mahroflcopterPosted 2/4/2013 5:18:45 PM
RD_21 posted...

Devil May Cry is a 12 year old game that was the first of its kind. Unfortunately, PS1 era games and early PS2 games have aged horridly . Also, the fact that Devil May Cry was originally Resident Evil 4, hence the darker atmosphere and other artifacts resembling RE (aka fixed camera angels, somewhat "tank" controls, etc), probably didn't help it since Devil May Cry needed better controls and camera angles to age better. However, for its time, it was revolutionary and served as the basis for God of War, Bayonetta, and several other series and games.

Devil May Cry 3 has definitely aged much better , so I would recommend at least giving it a try.
---
Currently going "squa squa squa!"
To the Devil May Cry franchise: http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ls0e5g1oWn1qjkv09o1_500.gif... at least for now.
#49TwistedRyuPosted 2/4/2013 5:21:06 PM
My only problems with DMC1 are the occasional bad camera angles and guns feel a bit wonky, especially since you have to manually target to use them. Other than that, it's still an excellent game. Speaking of manual targeting, even if DMC1 didn't have lock-on at least the manual targeting kept you focused on the enemy you wanted.
---
"I think it's time to switch condiments, 'cuz that weaksauce ain't helping!"
#50RD_21Posted 2/4/2013 5:30:16 PM(edited)
Crap, decided to try 1 again after this discussion and my opinion still stand, but I had stopped at a boss fight and now I don't remember the controls lol. Was there a dodge because I don't remember how to defend myself and I'm pretty sure there was one.... Nvm just remembered hehe. What is the fixed scheme A or B because I'm playing with A.