Just went back and played DMC1

#51RD_21Posted 2/4/2013 6:28:56 PM
mahroflcopter posted...
RD_21 posted...
To be honest I had only rented DMC once or twice back in the day so I don't have any nostalgia goggle. I bought the collection last year and played DMC halfway and all the time I was expecting better control like in Bayonetta or other games of the genre. It really felt dated when I played it, so I too, without having played DmC yet, have a hard time understanding the people who praise the first one as being so good still and saying it's better than DmC.

I wanted to play 2 and 3, but now I'm scared because people say 2 is bad and one just said that 3 combat was as good as 1 and I wasn't impressed by that, having been spoiled by modern games of the genre.

Devil May Cry is a 12 year old game that was the first of its kind. Unfortunately, PS1 era games and early PS2 games have aged horridly . Also, the fact that Devil May Cry was originally Resident Evil 4, hence the darker atmosphere and other artifacts resembling RE (aka fixed camera angels, somewhat "tank" controls, etc), probably didn't help it since Devil May Cry needed better controls and camera angles to age better. However, for its time, it was revolutionary and served as the basis for God of War, Bayonetta, and several other series and games.

Devil May Cry 3 has definitely aged much better , so I would recommend at least giving it a try.

Yeah I remember how good it was back then.
#52ishamail24(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2013 6:29:33 PM
RD_21 posted...
Crap, decided to try 1 again after this discussion and my opinion still stand, but I had stopped at a boss fight and now I don't remember the controls lol. Was there a dodge because I don't remember how to defend myself and I'm pretty sure there was one.... Nvm just remembered hehe. What is the fixed scheme A orB because I'm playing with A.

Ok you don't agree with me but you gotta see where I'm coming from now right? Lol
---
I wouldn't mind you in my head if you weren't so clearly mad.
#53RD_21Posted 2/4/2013 6:31:22 PM
ishamail24 posted...
RD_21 posted...
Crap, decided to try 1 again after this discussion and my opinion still stand, but I had stopped at a boss fight and now I don't remember the controls lol. Was there a dodge because I don't remember how to defend myself and I'm pretty sure there was one.... Nvm just remembered hehe. What is the fixed scheme A orB because I'm playing with A.

Ok you don't agree with me but you gotta see where I'm coming from now right? Lol

I know a lot of people contributed to your topic but I've been one of the only agreeing with you that it was bad.
#54scorch109Posted 2/4/2013 6:34:01 PM(edited)
I don't really understand how anyone can say it had bad controls. They're responsive and identical to every other game sans jump originally being traingle instead of x which playing the game 10 minutes made a non issue. The only real complaint i could understand is camera angles suffering from REness.
---
"The Bible is probably the most genocidal book ever written." Noam Chomsky
#55darkestmercPosted 2/4/2013 6:34:11 PM
DMC1 was very stiff feeling, and the camera was awful. After playing DmC, it feels extremely dated. The environments are beautiful however, and it is still a good amount of fun.

With the exception of Nelo Angelo however, I am not a big fan of the bosses of DMC1. I am especially not a big fan of fighting bosses more than once. The weapon selection was fantastic considering it was the first game in the series though.
---
PSN: Darkestmerc
Xbox 360 GT: Darkermerc
#56ishamail24(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2013 6:37:57 PM
darkestmerc posted...
DMC1 was very stiff feeling, and the camera was awful. After playing DmC, it feels extremely dated. The environments are beautiful however, and it is still a good amount of fun.

With the exception of Nelo Angelo however, I am not a big fan of the bosses of DMC1. I am especially not a big fan of fighting bosses more than once. The weapon selection was fantastic considering it was the first game in the series though.

You sir, just took the words out of my mouth.
---
#57RD_21Posted 2/4/2013 6:47:04 PM
I wish dodge was on the right stick, especially since it's a fixed camera.
#58TatsumaruShadowPosted 2/4/2013 6:53:00 PM
For one thing what's with all these people saying the dmc1 controls are fine, then saying they got fixed in the hd collection? Just saying you can't fix something that isn't broken. And the most encumber some thing about dmc1 is the lack of 8way run. It may have worked for re but it was just too awkward for a game like dmc.
Dmc1 may have been the birth of the genre butdmc3 gave the series it's name. Fluid controls complex combat and style.
---
PSN: Mr_Teabo
#59Xtreme65Posted 2/4/2013 6:53:56 PM
DMC1 is better in difficulty. The enemies kept me on my toes throughout the entire game. Only certain enemies give me that feeling in DmC and its mostly due to when certain enemies are mixed with others during higher difficulties like witches and dreamrunners for example, by themselves they pose no threat. As for combos DmC is the clear winner and anyone who says otherwise is fooling themselves.
---
When coincidence is so convenient, I prefer to call it fate.
#60ishamail24(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2013 6:58:39 PM
RD_21 posted...
I wish dodge was on the right stick, especially since it's a fixed camera.

You know I was wanting that same thing when I was playing. It's very easy to dodge the wrong direction and make Dante to a backwards jump instead of a side roll.
---