Just went back and played DMC1

#71ninja_poopPosted 2/4/2013 7:34:54 PM
SilentS89 posted...
ninja_poop posted...
Swarles posted...
HD collection fixed controls and at least DMC 1 had a lock on.

not like DmC needs it.

Not sure if serious.

the only time locking on was a problem was when you were fighting multiple enemies along with pathos/bathos/harpies. and even then it was just more of an annoyance. The auto-lock works very reliably.
---
Not changing my signature until marijuana is legalized. Monday, January 18, 2010, 8:08 PM
-11.06.12 Colorado becomes the first state
#72wolf riderPosted 2/5/2013 1:54:21 AM
DMC1 was amazing for it's time, but there's no doubt it was rough in a few areas.

Controls - Yes, it was unintuitive and nonsensical at the time. The fact that you liked it/adjusted to it doesn't change this fact. That you could remap controls in the HD Collection is pretty much an admission from Capcom that this was the case.

Rigid Jumping - Finally, someone's come up with an appropriate word for the jumping in DMC1. It was rigid as hell. It was a pain in the ass trying to land on narrow ledges or columns. Stand too close and you'll jump over it, stand too far away and you won't jump high enough to reach it and end up wall hiking over it anyway. There were so many instances where the camera would change mid jump/hike or slowly rotate when I'm lining up to jump onto a moving platform.

Camera - Half of the challenge in DMC1 was reacting to which way you end up facing after an abrupt camera change to do a side roll and evade enemy attacks. You end up strafing back and forth on the spot against bosses because you didn't want to trigger the camera angle change.

Lock-on - Ha! You could barely call DMC1's R1 a lock-on. It didn't centre the enemy in your screen or at least swivel the camera so you could see them, nor could you change targets. All R1 did was serve as a 'ready stance' to allow you to Stinger, High Time, fire ranged weapons, etc.

Also hated the yellow orb mechanic.

Having said that, DMC1 was still an incredibly fun game. But ignoring some of its flaws merely justifies people accusing you of nostalgia.
---
Capcom tries to appeal to the CoD gamer with RE6.
CoD gamer buys the new CoD instead.
#73Fear-My-WrathPosted 2/5/2013 3:30:28 AM
ishamail24 posted...
Just because I have a different opinion of you doesn't mean I'm a troll.

And just because others have a different opinion doesn't mean they're "haters" or wearing nostalgia goggles.
#74ishamail24(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 8:46:50 AM
Fear-My-Wrath posted...
ishamail24 posted...

And just because others have a different opinion doesn't mean they're "haters" or wearing nostalgia goggles.

Sure it does when they try saying the first devil may cry controls better than the newer ones. Because it just doesn't.
---
I wouldn't mind you in my head if you weren't so clearly mad.
#75KyryloPosted 2/5/2013 8:50:07 AM
ishamail24 posted...
Fear-My-Wrath posted...
ishamail24 posted...

Sure it does when they try saying the first devil may cry controls better than the newer ones. Because it just doesn't.

hahahah. biased NT fanboy checked. You do realize that dumbing down gameplay to generic button mashing isn't improvement? so you want to play a sheep and cry how it's the best gift from heaven ever made....well your choice.
#76ishamail24(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 10:05:09 AM
Kyrylo posted...
ishamail24 posted...
Fear-My-Wrath posted...
ishamail24 posted...

hahahah. biased NT fanboy checked. You do realize that dumbing down gameplay to generic button mashing isn't improvement? so you want to play a sheep and cry how it's the best gift from heaven ever made....well your choice.

Wow you've missed the point of pretty much the entire discussion.
---
I wouldn't mind you in my head if you weren't so clearly mad.
#77RetsuxDPosted 2/5/2013 10:10:00 AM
Your first post literally says that anyone who prefers DMC1 to DmC is nostalgia'd or a HATURRR.

Guess I must be both, because the first one is my favorite.
#78bobbysjobyPosted 2/5/2013 10:38:08 AM
Dmc 1 outclasses the others by FAR.
#79Malus_X6Posted 2/5/2013 11:48:16 AM
To be honest, it isn't "nostalgia" if you actually go back, watch or play something and find you still like it just as much, if not more.
---
PSN: LordMalus
XBL: LordMalusDCLXVI
#80RD_21Posted 2/5/2013 12:32:28 PM
Malus_X6 posted...
To be honest, it isn't "nostalgia" if you actually go back, watch or play something and find you still like it just as much, if not more.

You are into something, but you may be more able to forget flaws because you enjoy/enjoyed the product so much.

As someone who isn't a a giant DMC fan I can say that DMC 1 has aged poorly... stiff jump, wonky dodge, not that many variety in combat (that may be on me as I may have missed something, but I feel you have way more moves in modern games like Bayonetta).

It is not bad by any means, but just like TC said it's hard to believe that you guys honestly think DMC 1 is still better than DmC, but that's opinions.