Dante comparision. Spoilers involved

#1AlexxShadenk777Posted 2/4/2013 5:44:39 PM
I'm bored, so I started writing up a chart of sorts where the Dante from each game is compared based on some obvious aspects. What else do you think can be brought up to compare them?

Smokes?
DMC1 - No
DMC2 - No
DMC3 - No
DMC4 - No
DmC - No (only in the first trailer)

Drinks alcohol?
DMC1 - Implied; plenty of bottles around his office.
DMC2 - Same as DMC1.
DMC3 - Same thing again, and there's even a bar conveniently located down the street.
DMC4 - Implied once more; booze cabinet hanging up on the wall of his office.
Yes, he plainly displays himself drinking from a bottle in the opening cinematic.

Has white hair?
DMC1 - Yes
DMC2 - Yes
DMC3 - Yes
DMC4 - Yes
DmC - Yes, at the end and whenever he DT's before that.

Curses?
DMC1 - No
DMC2 - No
DMC3 - "Damn it!"
DMC4 - No
DmC - Quite a bit.

Cheesy lines?
DMC1 - “Flock off, featherface!”
“I should have been the one to fill you dark soul with light!” etc.
DMC2 - “Where there's a will... right?”
“Let's leave it to fate.”
“Hold on to my coin, Lucia.” etc.
DMC3 - “Ooh I love a fast woman!”
“And now... my soul is telling me to stop you!”
etc.
DMC4 - “In the end, we're all satisfied!”
“Is this.. the price to pay... for power?!” etc.
DmC - “Now that was a cracking good fight!”
“Flocking bastards.”
etc.

Display theatrics in cutscenes?
DMC1 - No. Some minor weapon display when acquiring the Alastor and Sparda swords.
DMC2 - Yes, such as crashing through the skylight in the museum, his free fall from the top of a skyscraper, the way he finishes off The Despair Embodied, etc.
DMC3 - Yes, every time he gets a new Devil Arm, skateboarding a rocket, running down the side of the Temen-ni-gru, etc.
DMC4 - Yes, every time he meets a boss, every time he gets a new Devil Arm, the ending, and pretty much every other cutscene.
DmC - Yes, the way he gets rid of the demon cameras, striking some poses at times such as when landing during a platforming section, etc.

Cries?
DMC1 - Yes
DMC2 - No
DMC3 - Yes
DMC4 - No
DmC - No

Main Weapon
DMC1 - Alastor
DMC2 - Rebellion
DMC3 - Rebellion (redesigned)
DMC4 - Rebellion (same as DMC3's)
DmC - Rebellion (redesigned again)

Can fly with the use of his own demon wings?
DMC1 - Yes
DMC2 - Yes
DMC3 - Yes
DMC4 - No, uses a silly hovercraft instead.
DmC - Doesn't have wings and can't fly.

Where does he find a Shotgun?
DMC1 - In a library of the castle.
DMC2 - In a garage.
DMC3 - In a bar.
DMC4 - Starts with it.
DmC - Vergil gives him one.

Explosives?
DMC1 - Grenadegun
DMC2 - Missile Launcher
DMC3 - Kalina Ann (rocket launcher with grappling bayonet)
DMC4 - Pandora (shapeshifting briefcase)
DmC - Shotgun (Charge Shot) and Kablooey (fires darts that can be exploded on command)

Cares about his own brother?
DMC1 - Yes, it's subtle but it's there.
DMC2 - The issue is never brought up to tell.
DMC3 - It's complicated.
DMC4 - Probably not. He gave Yamato to someone else that didn't deserve to have it.
DmC - It was all going fine till Vergil decided it was their turn to rule humankind.
---
PSN: AlexxShadenk777
"DMC1 is the best, DMC4 is the worst. Not changing this signature till DMC1 gets its true sequel." January 17th 2013
#2AlexxShadenk777(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2013 5:45:14 PM
Becomes more responsible as plot develops?
DMC1 - Yes; he no longer taunts bosses after the first encounter with Griffon.
DMC2 - He never quite displayed being lighthearted and laid back in the first place.
DMC3 - Yes; after Arkham raises the tower even further, Lady's attitude gets to him and he starts looking at things differently.
DMC4 - No; he toys with everything, lets Nero keep Yamato, Credo dies, the Savior is activated, the Hell Gates are reopened, hundreds of civilians die as a result, etc.
DmC - Yes; he starts caring about humanity, starting with Kat as he appreciates her talents and develops a sense of responsibility about what they're doing and ultimately decides to become a protector of humankind.

Out of ideas now. Feel free to ruin this thread.
---
"DMC1 is the best, DMC4 is the worst. Not changing this signature till DMC1 gets its true sequel." January 17th 2013
#3Green_PuffPosted 2/4/2013 5:46:48 PM
I will give you 8/10 for effort.
---
You will not forget this devils power!
#4AlexxShadenk777(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2013 5:49:44 PM
Thank you sir.
---
#5Dominus_1Posted 2/4/2013 5:51:33 PM
AlexxShadenk777 posted...

Cares about his own brother?
DMC4 - Probably not. He gave Yamato to someone else that didn't deserve to have it.

Nero "I thought this meant a lot to you (yamato)"
Dante "That's the only kind of gift worth giving."
So nope.
#6paranormalistPosted 2/4/2013 5:55:41 PM
I think Nero deserved Yamato, especially if Nero is really Vergil's boy.

And good list, though it doesn't really capture the difference in DmC Dante's delivery of lines and poses compared to the older ones. I liked the bombastic loudmouth that DMC featured, this one was cool but too understated... and just plain not as funny.
---
Because I care.
#7SHMYazooPosted 2/4/2013 5:56:32 PM
I disagree with two things:

"Curses?
DMC1 - No
DMC2 - No
DMC3 - "Damn it!"
DMC4 - No
DmC - Quite a bit."

Is "Damn it" cursing? Also, I don't DmC Dante curses as much as you implied.

And...

"Cares about his own brother?
DMC1 - Yes, it's subtle but it's there.
DMC2 - The issue is never brought up to tell.
DMC3 - It's complicated.
DmC - It was all going fine till Vergil decided it was their turn to rule humankind."

I don't think he gave Yamato to a random someone, he clearly thought he was "part of the family" and he liked the kid by the end.

Other than that, good comparison. I'd have chosen different cheesy lines.
---
Aion is just like all other WoW clones, I mean, the Mage in Aion has a Fireball spell and can make Portals. WoW ANYONE??? - Aion Boards
#8AlexxShadenk777(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2013 5:56:56 PM
Dominus_1 posted...
So nope.

If the way the plot went is anything to go by, Nero proved enough times that he's too incompetent to keep the sword. Sanctus took it away from him and then proceeded to absorb him into the Savior. So actually yes, that counts as enough proof.
---
#9Dominus_1Posted 2/4/2013 6:06:43 PM
AlexxShadenk777 posted...
Dominus_1 posted...
So nope.

If the way the plot went is anything to go by, Nero proved enough times that he's too incompetent to keep the sword. Sanctus took it away from him and then proceeded to absorb him into the Savior. So actually yes, that counts as enough proof.

Doesn't count as proof that he didn't care about his brother. Nero only technically lost the sword once, so Dante was wrong to let him keep it the first time (probably was testing Nero). But the second time he proved his abilities to use the sword and defeat Sanctus, so Dante decided to entrust it to him(and telling from how the plot played out Dante probably could have gotten the sword back even if Nero failed).
#10AlexxShadenk777(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2013 6:12:19 PM
So in other words, DMC4 Dante's an idiot.
---