As I've been playing through the series again I really don't get it. SPOLIERS!!!

#1Xtreme65Posted 2/5/2013 1:39:31 PM
Not saying the old series is bad. In fact it is quite good. What I'm saying is I don't get the fan backlash. After playing DMC1-3 I gotta tell ya.

DmC>DMC3>DMC1>DMC2

The story of DmC borrows elements of every game before it.

DMC1: Let's take out Mundus
DMC2: Let's take out a corporate figure (DmC took this one alot further than DMC2 did.)
DMC3: Origin story on how Dante get's his powers and learns what is really important. Even going as far to fight his brother.
DMC4: Haven't replayed this yet but if I remember correctly the Order is a direct throwback to it, A group fighting demons with the leader having his own agenda. In DMC4 this included more than just Sanctus but Vergil is kinda reminds me of him in this one as far as goals and methods go.

I could go on about why the story isn't necessarily bad but I know that story and atmosphere are subjective. Some will like it, some won't. I know that DmC is inspired by They Live, but last time I checked people LIKED that movie. Why say a similar story is bad? Unless the DMC fans didn't care for it this doesn't make sense to me. I guess you can be mad that its a rip off I suppose.

As for gameplay......yeah I'm REALLY stumped. The combat is a direct upgrade from DMC1 and DMC2 and in some ways DMC3.

DMC1 doesn't have grapple mechanic. Game isn't as fast. Only two melee weapons with no on the fly switching. No air combos.

DMC2: Doesn't have grapple mechanic, Isn't as fast, (oh boy isn't as fast.) Only one melee weapon for each character (unless you play as Trish than refer to DMC1.)

As for DMC3, while I love DMC3 and the style system for its time was a direct upgrade from DMC1 and DMC2 cause no matter what style you had you had more actions in the long run. Compare to DmC however, styles kinda limit what you can do now. If I have swordmaster I cannot dodge as easily (I hated how dodging works normally) so I used trickster but if I use trickster air combos are non existant. See what I'm saying here? In DMC I have access to more stuff at one time even though there are less moves total, what good are those extra moves though if I can't use them though? DMC3 is good and the bosses are certainly better but I would have thought people would love how in DmC you have more at one time. Also no grapple mechanic.

Now I haven't replayed through DMC4 yet and I imagine my style complaint will be thrown out the window since Dante in DMC4 can switch on the fly. But I never really liked playing Nero due to his lack of weaponry. (even though he has the grapple mechanic I've grown to love.)

My point is here. DmC can compare to the older games in many ways. The only two faults I have found with it are lack of lock on and the bosses are pretty bad. But boy oh boy is combating regular enemies fun. So far I have more fun than DMC1-3 in that regard.

I'm trying really hard to find why people don't like the combat. Cause I want to understand. Is it that DMC4 is what people are referring to when they say the combat of the older series is superior?

Like I said I REALLY don't get it.
---
When coincidence is so convenient, I prefer to call it fate.
#2Supreme121Posted 2/5/2013 1:40:44 PM
DMC3 had a grapple mechanic that worked quite well actually.
#3produnerPosted 2/5/2013 1:40:49 PM
You will probably never get it if you have that kind of mentality.
#4Malus_X6Posted 2/5/2013 1:46:46 PM
There was one thing about DMC 3 that bugged me, and it's present on both PS2 and the HD version. The game would randomly turn off the lock-on display. Why it does that, I dunno but it still bugs the crap outta me.
---
PSN: LordMalus
XBL: LordMalusDCLXVI
#5megaultrarice34Posted 2/5/2013 1:49:19 PM
If you press R3 in DMC1, you can switch between Alastor and Ifrit. Although it's not a smooth transition.
---
PSN: OceanSupermarket
#6RetsuxDPosted 2/5/2013 1:51:17 PM
...Why is a grapple so necessary?
#7Xtreme65(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 1:52:44 PM
produner posted...
You will probably never get it if you have that kind of mentality.

With what mentality? I went into this with an open mind. Before I started playing through the series again my opinion was DMC3>DMC4>DmC>DMC1>DMC2. But now as I played DMC3 and realized how the style system actually limits what you can do now I am putting a change to my actual opinion.

Is it difficulty? Is it people preferred older weapons? I would really like to know what makes the older series so much better than this new one. Because as I replay I'm not seeing it. Again I do still have to replay through DMC4.
---
#8InfiniteDemisePosted 2/5/2013 1:54:25 PM
RetsuxD posted...

It holds your hands and makes the game 20 times easier?
---
" Its said that God made the universe and wants everyone to praise him.... Talk about an egomaniac "
#9_Uwye_Posted 2/5/2013 1:56:24 PM
Malus_X6 posted...
There was one thing about DMC 3 that bugged me, and it's present on both PS2 and the HD version. The game would randomly turn off the lock-on display. Why it does that, I dunno but it still bugs the crap outta me.

Maybe you should stop pressing the L3 button for more than three seconds. :P
#10Xtreme65(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 1:56:27 PM
RetsuxD posted...

As I play DmC I use the grapple alot. Its great for closing in the distance between enemies. Angel Lift improves movement greatly. Is it necessary? No. Is it a fun mechanic? Yes. It was great with Nero but Nero lacked weaponry. DmC Dante has weaponry AND grapple mechanics making him much more versatility than Nero. At least I believe it does, again maybe playing through DMC4 will change my mind.
---