Was this game really necessary?

#41DevilTears604Posted 2/6/2013 10:02:39 AM
And the climate of the game industry is a lot different today than it was in 2008, the biggest aspect being downloadables and IOS. Smaller, downloadable games were a lot less prominent then and mobile games barely existed.

The sales numbers for the industry last year were released yesterday I think? Overall the numbers were down from last year, but DL and mobile games were way up and $60 box purchases were way down.
---
Day One buys for 2013: Devil may Cry, Dead Space 3, GoW: Ascension, Bioshock Infinite, The Last of Us, Grand Theft Auto V
#42Dr_AaronPosted 2/6/2013 10:17:26 AM
1. Capcom planned this from the beginning: Poor DRM on the PC version of DMC4 is evidence of this

2. DmC 2 will be made regardless of sales

3. DMC5 will be co-developed with ninja theory, will feature only 1/4 of the game the rest you have to buy from on disc DLC, the gameplay won't be advanced from 4; and the fans will eat it up because of the HAIR
#43Nacutzo(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2013 10:31:47 AM
Aiddon posted...

What I find hilarious is this CONSTANT myth people have been trying to prop up in that the series NEEDED to be rebooted. This isn't like XCOM or Kid Icarus which had been out of the public consciousness for so long that they HAD to start from scratch. I don't know what world people kept getting these ideas from, but it certainly wasn't OURS.

This guy speaks the truth.
#44testament067Posted 2/6/2013 11:19:09 AM
Nacutzo posted...
Aiddon posted...

What I find hilarious is this CONSTANT myth people have been trying to prop up in that the series NEEDED to be rebooted. This isn't like XCOM or Kid Icarus which had been out of the public consciousness for so long that they HAD to start from scratch. I don't know what world people kept getting these ideas from, but it certainly wasn't OURS.

This guy speaks the truth.

I mean no one really knows....this topic is almost pure speculation so there is no "truth" imo.

I don't think the series NEEDED to be rebooted....but I don't think it was a bad idea considering the circumstances
---
Video freestyle starring Me!!!! Check me out! Download the music!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKloH1AHrtg
#45testament067Posted 2/6/2013 11:22:20 AM
Kyrylo posted...
testament067 posted...
Kyrylo posted...
testament067 posted...
Well its all speculation...I don't think "old fans" were the only reason DmC hasn't done well so far...

As I said I like RE6 but I'm down for a reboot

let's see: giant marketing, no competition, terrific reviews, support. And .... flop?

I think other factors play a role too.

Bad month for the industry, its a reboot, H&S games don't sell a whole lot, DMC4 received mixed reactions from fans....etc

I think the biggest reason is that there are a ton of games on the market now. This game won't stand out as much when the market is full of great games to begin with, unlike when DMC4 came out.

Old fans played a role..but they are not the sole reason imo

bad month - new year and couple of happy kids with their money presents running around. Only noticeable game before NY was Hitman that was also received mix. As for DmC...I assume game like Enslaved doesn'T stand out all that much to be acclaimed.

I mean the entertainment industry as a whole doesn't do a whole lot in January. The box office goes on chill mode, VG sales, etc.

We can't act like DmC had a while lot going for it.
---
Video freestyle starring Me!!!! Check me out! Download the music!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKloH1AHrtg
#46360pagesPosted 2/6/2013 11:32:17 AM
Ink-Ribbon posted...
Ether101 posted...
Ink-Ribbon posted...
Was DMC 2 necessary?

Was a sequel necessary for DMC 1?

Was DMC 4 necessary at all?

Was Nero necessary at all?

Did this game make up for the loss of three Mega-Man games?

After Megaman X5, every Megaman game was either crap or forgettable.

Capcom killed Megaman, there is no turning back.

Your point?

Someone never played the Zero series or the ZX series, or megaman X 8 or Megaman and Bass, actually this post just proves to me that you have no idea what you are talking about.
---
Gamefaqs in a nutshell (http://error1355.com/img/gif/gamefaqscant.gif)
#47wwinterj25Posted 2/6/2013 11:35:36 AM(edited)
DmC wasn't necessary as all. DMC 4 sold enough as far as I know so it really boggles my mind why someone over at Capcom decided "hey you know DMC? It needs a reboot huuuur duuur". They should have just made this a new IP.
---
One who knows nothing can understand nothing - GamerTag: wwinterj/PSN wwinterj
#48Psychochild27Posted 2/6/2013 11:46:41 AM
Someone never played the Zero series or the ZX series, or megaman X 8 or Megaman and Bass, actually this post just proves to me that you have no idea what you are talking about.

Technically Megaman and Bass predates X5 by about three years.
#49360pagesPosted 2/6/2013 11:58:48 AM
Psychochild27 posted...

Technically Megaman and Bass predates X5 by about three years.

I forgot about the Snes version.
---
Gamefaqs in a nutshell (http://error1355.com/img/gif/gamefaqscant.gif)
#50Ink-RibbonPosted 2/6/2013 1:57:10 PM
360pages posted...
Ink-Ribbon posted...
Ether101 posted...
Ink-Ribbon posted...
Was DMC 2 necessary?

Was a sequel necessary for DMC 1?

Was DMC 4 necessary at all?

Was Nero necessary at all?

Did this game make up for the loss of three Mega-Man games?

After Megaman X5, every Megaman game was either crap or forgettable.

Capcom killed Megaman, there is no turning back.

Your point?

I played them and I though they were crap.

Megaman and Bass was just Megaman 8 part 2. Even 2 bosses were used from Megaman 8. Talk about being original!