What would people like to see changed in the gameplay?

#1Dr4G0nZPosted 2/7/2013 1:40:09 AM(edited)
Something like lock-on, quicker gameplay, more challenging enemies, better attack animations off of jump cancelling, more interesting/deep discoverable mechanics that drastically change gameplay, something akin to a style system maybe?

I'm curious to see a list of what could be improved regarding gameplay in this game. Something along the lines of "if /this/ was implemented, this game could be a lot better". Would like some sort of a constructive thing going on, probably would be a bit hard to make happen though. Confident that if the ball does get rolling something good could come out of it.
#2coolguy2007Posted 2/7/2013 1:41:17 AM
everything
#3Dr4G0nZ(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 1:42:45 AM
coolguy2007 posted...
everything

Elaborate?
#4Hiryuu_TsurugiPosted 2/7/2013 2:10:04 AM
Honestly, you made an excellent series of suggestions. The thing I would most likely add after what you've already put forth is probably a more expansive movelist. Perhaps one derived from a more varied weapon set.
---
GT: FroznLockz, PSN: SpectreAlpha
"Tatakai no naka ni, kotai wo aru."
#5_Uwye_Posted 2/7/2013 2:11:53 AM
Dr4G0nZ posted...
Something like lock-on, quicker gameplay, more challenging enemies, better attack animations off of jump cancelling, more interesting/deep discoverable mechanics that drastically change gameplay, something akin to a style system maybe?

I'm curious to see a list of what could be improved regarding gameplay in this game. Something along the lines of "if /this/ was implemented, this game could be a lot better". Would like some sort of a constructive thing going on, probably would be a bit hard to make happen though. Confident that if the ball does get rolling something good could come out of it.

There's just too much to change, at that point you should revamp the whole combat.

But three easy to do improvements:
-Lock-on. Do I even have to explain?
-Color coded enemies can be hurt by any weapon, they just deal less damage (half?)
-Standard enemies have jumping attacks so that you can't just hover two meters over the floor undisturbed
#6Dr4G0nZ(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 2:57:19 AM(edited)
Interesting to note, I play on the PC version, just looking around the files, and I found this little tidbit..

EVADE1 = NTB_RIGHT_SHOULDER
EVADE2 = NTB_LEFT_SHOULDER
CENTRE_CAMERA = NTB_RIGHT_STICK
CYCLE_RANGED_TARGET = NTB_LEFT_STICK
USE_INTERACTABLE = NTB_B_CIRCLE
LOCKON = NTB_NONE

Changed LOCKON to R1. You'd be glad to know that it apparently, not actually sure if it locks on. What it does do is make it so holding it + jumping in a side direction makes you dodge.

I don't really know what I'm doing so I'm basically just blindly doing stuff, but it could be interesting to see what would be possible if someone more experienced could do something. For example, I'm noticing stuff like...

OVERDRIVE = NTB_V_GAME1
GUNSPECIAL = NTB_V_GAME2
DEVILTRIGGER = NTB_V_GAME3
STRONG_MELEE2 = NTB_V_GAME4

STRONG_MELEE2 being something I can only assume is the input for Stinger. Also found other stuff in the files like..

[DevilTesting.DVFuncTest_BirthrightDemonPullNew]
m_PawnJumpReleaseTime=0.4
m_PawnAirTime=0.0
m_PawnAirCheckTime=1.0
m_PawnRepelTime=0.4
m_PawnRepelCheckTime=1.5
m_PawnSkillRepelTime=0.64
m_PawnSkillRepelCheckTime=1.5
m_PawnJumpTime=0.5
m_PawnJumpCheckTime=0.7
m_PawnSkillJumpTime=0.64
m_PawnSkillJumpCheckTime=0.7
m_PawnSkillRepelDamage=45.0
m_PawnSkillJumpDamage=20.0
m_PawnAttackDamage=20.0

m_BufferAttackTime=0.4
m_BufferAttackCheckTime=0.4
m_BufferEvadeTime=0.67
m_BufferEvadeCheckTime=0.4

m_TugGroundCheckTime=0.4
m_TugAirTime=0.2
m_TugAirCheckTime=0.4
m_TugAirMoveCheckTime=1.0
m_TugPawnTime=0.4
m_TugPawnCheckTime=0.4

m_FailRetractCheckTime=1.0
m_FailNoTargetCheckTime=0.1

m_VergilRetriggerRangeTime=1.0

I have no idea what any of this stuff does, but it could be interesting or promising. Honestly, there's a high chance that most of the stuff I'm looking up does absolutely nothing at all.

The reason why I'm posting this here, instead of on the PC boards, is because really, not a lot of people go there, lol. Fairly certain if people do play on the PC, they go here, and not there.

I doubt anything could come out of this, but this stuff is interesting to look at. It's just ini file stuff, though.

However, if things could be changed or modded, this game might just have a future yet. To be honest, I'm mostly just interested in seeing what's possible now.

------------------------------------------------------

Also, not sure what the LOCKON button is supposed to mean, apart from I think that lock-on was supposed to be implemented at one point but NT removed it for some strange reason. Maybe they tried it and didn't like it, no idea. Either way, I can't really do any deeper digging. I have no experience with UDK or anything like that. Stuff could be interesting though.
#7A_Nonny_MoosePosted 2/7/2013 3:02:40 AM
The same controls as the old games.
---
http://i.imgur.com/QB2km.png
#8Shinra-ArmyPosted 2/7/2013 3:07:18 AM
Dr4G0nZ posted...

Wellp, you pretty much nailed it, that'd be an excellent start. In addition make parrying a lot harder, make the red and blue enemies hittable by the other weapons, make everything fall way faster so gravity doesn't feel like the moon's, make combos in general harder and skill-based, replace the soundtrack with something good and increase the framerate to the double.
---
WRRYYYYers posted...
I am a former Spetsnaz operative and I have killed a taekwondo master before.
#9syctheweilderPosted 2/7/2013 4:07:34 AM
Shinra-Army posted...
Dr4G0nZ posted...

Wellp, you pretty much nailed it, that'd be an excellent start. In addition make parrying a lot harder, make the red and blue enemies hittable by the other weapons, make everything fall way faster so gravity doesn't feel like the moon's, make combos in general harder and skill-based, replace the soundtrack with something good and increase the framerate to the double.

So...DMC4, basically?
#10Shinra-ArmyPosted 2/7/2013 3:15:44 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]